Minnesota Court sides with conservationists

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
BlueRibbon Coalition working with Ruffed Grouse Society (and others) in this win!

Minnesota Court sides with conservationists in Superior National Forest lawsuit

Decision allows US Forest Service to move forward Coraopolis, Pennsylvania - Sportsmen and women are among the winners in a significant legal victory in a case regarding the Superior National Forest in northern Minnesota. The Ruffed Grouse Society (RGS) joined with others including the Minnesota Forest Industries, Inc., Minnesota Timber Producers Association, All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota, Blue Ribbon Coalition - http://www.sharetrails.org/, Lake County and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to defend important habitat management projects being proposed by the US Forest Service.

In 2008 the Sierra Club and other preservationists had filed suit to halt implementation of the recently revised Forest Plan - claiming that because the Plan allowed habitat management projects adjacent to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) it would affect the wilderness character of the BWCAW and, therefore, should not move ahead.
Read more here - http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/tow_release.php?ID=140872

SGV

Adventurer
I've canoed and camped up in the Boundary Waters a couple times, for a week or more each IIRC. Great area for fishing and camping. At the time at least, the water was drinkable right out of the lake. If we got thirsty, just dip in glass and chug-a-lug. I hope that is still the case. It is on my list of places to hide if the zombies attack.

For the information provided, I can see the points of both sides of this argument. The Boundary Waters is a great place and I would hate to see it negatively impacted by anything. On the other hand, I did not see any data saying the new forest plan would actually hinder anything.

Anyone who has the opportunity should take the time to head out there. It is an experience that still affects me. I have been "planning" on going back for years now. Maybe this year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78