Misguided marketing award of the year - Black Sheep taillight drawers

86scotty

Cynic
Brilliant, yes. That’s an innovative, yet wildly overpriced product. It takes advantage of a dead space in every truck bed. Just brilliant. But, why market it as a place to hide booze? Just stupid.

Why not show some tool storage, jumper cables, an air hose, emergency kit, recovery gear or make it a small safe for firearms/personal items (in a place where no one would ever look).

Instead they impractically put in there bottles of liquor (which one would never do) and cans of beer (which would always be chilled at least in the US) and what's that, a bottle of orange juice? Exactly where I might store a bottle of orange juice. :rolleyes:

This marketing points to a bigger problem with the modern 'overlandy' lifestyle. Why must everything be tied, often subconsciously, to booze? Is it a requirement that I imbibe (or look like I do) to be 'cool' enough to overland?

C'mon, it's just getting silly. Sure, I love a cold beer or a cocktail, sometimes many, but you can't sell a piece of metal anymore without a bottle opener integrated in to it.

Such a great idea with great promise that went squarely sideways in the hands of the marketing department.

Oh, except for the price. $3400? Please.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
While I agree with the sentiment on alcohol advertising, I’m not even sure that idea is really innovative. People have been mounting stuff behind Jeep taillights for ages. Most pickup trucks have a structural pillar right behind that light. Reading the article and looking at the photo makes me fairly certain that all they did was bolt a box into the bed space behind the pillar and then cut a hole in the pillar for the drawer. Since your tailgate must be open to open the drawer, you’ve rested a really expensive way to drop a box or bag into the corner of your truck bed… if you consider a VW Amarok to be a truck. Yes, I know they did the HiLux… I’m betting they don’t sell many to the “technical” crowd. The next one is probably the Honda Ridgeline? Anyway, I guess someone will be upset that I don’t like their secret $3400 drawer with a giant logo showing off how secret it is, so… whatever floats your boat. Spending is good for the economy.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m pretty sure Dave Barry put forth the idea that all marketing boils down to 2 key messages: This product will allow me to become a bikini model, or, this product will allow me to date a bikini model. I’m not sure which variation “mini bar in my taillight” is, but I sure hope it’s “date” not “become”. I want overlanders in VW Amaroks to keep wearing shorts.

Are you...Booze police?
It's named advertisement. And Freedom of Choice. You can put in whatever blows up your skirt.
The company is located in Switzerland- different country, different behaviour, different laws. Just cool down.

86scotty

Cynic
Are you...Booze police?
It's named advertisement. And Freedom of Choice. You can put in whatever blows up your skirt.
The company is located in Switzerland- different country, different behaviour, different laws. Just cool down.

No, I'm not. I'm a regular imbiber myself. If you care to reread the post perhaps you will clue in on my meaning. Everything these days pushes alcohol on people when it's not necessary. People like me who enjoy it don't need silly, misguided marketing tactics to remind me of it.

Anyway, It's not just the booze, it's that no one would store booze there. Or orange juice. Or Red Bulls. It's stupid marketing. And I don't need to cool down, it's a discussion. If I did need to cool down I might do so with beer, or orange juice, or Red Bull, from a cooler.

Marketing depends on the company behind it.
Could it be a small company without an Marketing department?
If it is a small private company ads costs big money- so it is indeed not a smart ad- and yeah, you didn't get the fine line...

Whatever dude- go and grab your cooler...and stuff your recovery gear into that drawer as everybody else does... it is just an example.
Wait, aren't you from a country (The one with the word "Freedom" included) being forced to use a beer coozie? o_O

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Beat me too it. I thought I had seen that set up before.

CCH

Adventurer
I think they're really cool, but agree that the marketing falls apart when you suggest spending that much money to create a dry bar. OJ or Chardonnay not recommended. However, if you own those particular vehicles and want to out uber the rest, it would be pretty cool to get to the end of the trail and slide out a fullish bar for your fellow VW drivers, much to their envy. Extra credit if you add the non-optional ice tray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior