MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

eat_wander_repeat

What are the dimensions of the open space in the slide out underneath the stove and sink? Trying to figure out the best options for camp kitchen storage.

Anyone really pleased with their camp kitchen storage solution?

eat_wander_repeat

Are you waiting for yours to be built?

Hehe, waiting is the hardest part: 38 x 16 x 9 usable inches, its a bit bigger but there are a few things in the way, like drain hole and sink hose and you loose a few inches in height due to sink and stove depth, but that is pretty close to usable inches.

There is lots of space, all relative, I guess, we travel pretty light, so all kitchen stuff will fit in there for us, hope this helps.

Exactly, build is scheduled for April. Given the variable height due to drain hole etc, do you store your kitchen cooking utensils in a hard-sided container or something with soft sides?

eat_wander_repeat

Sounds like your starting from scratch with your kitchen. It took us years to sort it out!

We use a Bucket Boss Tool Roll for our knives, utensils, etc. Then it rolls up and gets stored. We use Sea to Summit pots which collapse and are silicone and plastic, which just gets put under the storage loose, and
everything else gets either stored in a pouch or small mini duffle type canvas bag with handle, in fact we actually use a DeWalt canvas bag that had a cordless drill set in it, it is super heavy duty. All our kitchen comes
out and can easily go on a picnic table or where ever we choose to cook.

Sounds like your setup is dialed! We have a system for car camping, boat camping, and backpacking, but overlanding is a new venture. No need to duplicate efforts if others have paved the way.

Do you think the space is too small to store a standard pot and pan (in addition to the other kitchen utensils)?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I thought that I should show everyone how I pack my kitchen stuff. I carry way too much stuff and plan on thinning it out a bit before we start doing too much 'overlanding' this year. First of all, Beastie has its two burner stove nearest the side of the trailer and the sink further out. I have room under them for two rugged cardboard boxes and two plastic trays to hold much of my cooking stuff. Note the DIY paper towel hanger made from a piece of 3/4" PVC and a wire coat hanger. I will be cutting it down a bit so that the wire uprights rub a bit against the paper towel roll to keep it from unfurling in the wind. I have also added a Scotch brand hook on each end of the vertical section of the drawer to hang mitts and towels from.

6C79F590-3C2C-4826-A9F1-5C22B03DC495.jpegC3FBBC43-CC5B-4E21-A294-AF9CF7EEE5D0.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
In the left-most cardboard container I store two frying pans; on with high walls and the other short. This container also holds a couple oven mitts and a silicon pancake flipper.

1F197529-9878-4B75-A380-3485C60C9491.jpeg

the next container from the left holds a stainless two quart pot and our coffee pot. Note that the pot has two short handles and an indentation on its lip for pouring out fluids. Its glass cover has a small vent. Both this pot and the speckled frying pan in the upper picture are double bottomed. Both were purchase at TJ Maxx for under $20 total. Yes, I'm "thrifty".

BBE8FF84-92FD-4284-98B4-D0CB011A75F0.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
The center right plastic container holds propane fire starters and kitchen cleanup items. I carry a LOT of the Costco microfiber towels. They are great for insulating the various items from bashing around, cleaning and drying various things. Also work great in the shower.

672D4535-8CFD-47E2-8E4C-79CEA351A643.jpeg

The plastic box on the right is a catch-all. Some spices, especially cinnamon for coffee, vanilla for french toast. The cinnamon works great on the french toast too! Avacado spray is more heat tolerant that olive oil. We don't use the bar soap much, but carry it just in case.

370347FC-A74A-4A3E-820C-EBD4FC081301.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
We carry all the plates, cups, cutlery, etc. in a large Action Packer. The smaller one is used for dry goods. I have at least 6 Action Packers of various sizes. They have served me well for 25+ years now. No reason for change at this point.

EE4E7B01-6EBF-43CB-A7D7-99FBCAADA716.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
We usually carry three small tables with us. We have a Tire Table that fits on the passenger side tire of the trailer. It gives just enough room to turn around between it and the stove/sink. Works great to prep meals and as a place to eat. The second is the aluminum fold up table in the pictures with the Action Packers. The kitchen Packer often sits on top of this one with the dry goods container on the ground below it. Our third table is a very old rollup wooden slat model that is only brought out when more off the ground space is needed. The flat tables pack inside the tailgate of the 4Runner with the kitchen Action Packers and a second large Packer holding my recovery gear on top of them. The rollup table fits in nicely behind these and the back of the passenger seats. I used a commercial made netting to secure all of this utilizing the four tie downs mounted in the corners in the back of the Toyota.

Beastie holds 37 gallons of water and five of propane. We occasionally carry a Yeti 45 qt cooler along with the dometic 65 L frig/freezer. With just the two of us and a dog, we can usually be pretty self sufficeant, sans petrol, for two or more weeks. The only other thing worth mentioning briefly is our roll up Kermit chairs with leg extensions. Pure bliss!

D7B99FF0-B8F4-4949-81AD-CCE5F23C0351.jpegC8539449-9FD1-4FDD-A2BB-1BE67B276009.jpeg409B510C-2D80-480C-AF6E-7F7DA1BE3498.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Here is a very poor picture of the Tire Table and kitchen area. The kitchen Action Packer is off on the right next to the rear end of the 4Runner. In this pic it sits on our wooden table. This was Tucker's last trip before we had to put him down. New Boykin Spaniel arriving in September.

1722C306-D702-4CFB-99C9-46CAD21D0CD0.jpeg

Daisy22

Here is a very poor picture of the Tire Table and kitchen area. The kitchen Action Packer is off on the right next to the rear end of the 4Runner. In this pic it sits on our wooden table. This was Tucker's last trip before we had to put him down. New Boykin Spaniel arriving in September.

View attachment 649358

Love the kitchen storage Dale! When I get mine out of garage I will take pictures of my setup. I think you started a trend and hope to see others also. I always pickup something ....

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Has anyone has had the Co2 detector go off while driving ? Mine started beeping shortly into a long drive and stayed on for 8 hours. I did not shut it off to see what would happen.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Love the kitchen storage Dale! When I get mine out of garage I will take pictures of my setup. I think you started a trend and hope to see others also. I always pickup something ....
Daisy22,
Please do! I'm like you, always looking out for new ideas.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Has anyone has had the Co2 detector go off while driving ? Mine started beeping shortly into a long drive and stayed on for 8 hours. I did not shut it off to see what would happen.
Nope, I don't have one. But had better get one installed. At first I thought perhaps you had a bad battery, but after 8 hours.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78