Mits Fuso FG purchased out-of-state for reg in CA?

edgans

Proud new owner of a 2007 Mitsubishi Fuso FG, about to embark on the process of conversion to a camper. Vehicle currently has a big commercial box on the back, I plan to sell/remove, build a flatbed, and mount a camper. At the end of the day it will be registered and insured in it's final state (I believe as an RV/motorhome), until then I need some guidance. My tentative plan is as follows:
1) Fill out REG 343 (application for title or registration)
2) Stop at a CHP station to have REG 31 (verification of vehicle) completed
3) Obtain a weight certificate
3.5) Am I missing any forms for a 14,050lb diesel??
4) Register it as a commercial vehicle at the DMV, ideally non-operational to save money
5) Begin modifications, driving it as little as possible (i.e. only for things like picking up the flatbed and camper)
6) Re-do registration and insure vehicle once modifications are complete

Another idea is to do nothing until the modification is complete. It has no plates, but I did just survive an 1800 mile drive with no issue :)

Feel free to direct message me if you prefer to talk on the phone.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
What state did you purchase it in? Why not register it there or in some other state?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edgans

I purchased it in Missouri, but I reside in California. Don't I need to register it in home state? I have a CA drivers license and address...

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Don't forget to plan for sales tax too........

As to required forms, your best bet is to be an AAA member, and use their services instead of going in through DMV. You will probably have to go through the CHP inspection, still....and be prepared for all sorts of disbelieving looks when you explain there's only one VIN, not two present on the vehicle.

Rickized

Triple A will not do out of state to California transfers. Last year We bought a vehicle in Colorado and went through the process to register in California.
If you want more info send a PM.
Rick

Czechsix

Interesting....I'm in the San Diego area, started the process at AAA. Had to, of course, do the CHP and DMV inspection, but I finished the paperwork at AAA. Was a couple of years ago though.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
1.Put a cot, a portapotty, a jerry can of water & a camp stove in the back - take it to be registered as an RV.
2.Pay the sales tax based on existing value of the camper.
3.Build whatever you want back there.
4.Enjoy lower taxes for the duration of ownership.

You can always let the tax folks know you've added to the value of the vehicle after your build.
I'm being a bit glib with #1.... but there's a specific definition of RV on the books in California which is pretty basic and technically as I read the regs that's all you need. There would be no penalty if this approach didn't succeed...Moe

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
1.Put a cot, a portapotty, a jerry can of water & a camp stove in the back - take it to be registered as an RV.

You can always let the tax folks know you've added to the value of the vehicle after your build.
I'm being a bit glib with #1.... but there's a specific definition of RV on the books in California which is pretty basic and technically as I read the regs that's all you need. There would be no penalty if this approach didn't succeed...Moe

I would certainly try to register as an RV first, rather than go to the effort of registering an older (than 2010) diesel truck in California and then converting it to an RV. If you run into issues you can always register in another state, etc - it keeps your options open.

I ended up establishing residency (for my vehicles) in Texas while I was in California, because they were such a PITA.

Czechsix

Exactly what I'm going to do with the final EC build...going to register it in Oregon instead of California. The tax difference between the states will go towards getting land in Oregon...win/win situation.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
.........as I read the regs that's all you need. There would be no penalty if this approach didn't succeed...Moe

Moe, You might have had different results when you did your registration?

To be a 'California Recreational Vehicles':
**A recreational vehicle is defined as any motorhome or housecar, travel trailer, truck camper, or camp trailer with or without motive power designed for human habitation or other occupancy.
They must contain less than 320 square feet of internal living room area (excluding built-in equipment and including, but not limited to wardrobe, closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, bath or toilet rooms) and 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at maximum horizontal projections. Recreational vehicles are built on a single chassis and are self-propelled, truck-mounted, or permanently towable on the highways without a permit.
**Motorhomes must contain permanently-installed independent life support systems which meet the criteria of the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) and provide at least four of the following facilities:
cooking
refrigeration or ice box
self-contained toilet
heating and/or air conditioning
a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply
LP gas supply

(see California form - Miscellaneous Statements REG 256A)

from California Health and Safety Code 18010.
"Recreational vehicle" means:
(a) A motor home, travel trailer, truck camper, or camping trailer, with or without motive power, designed for human habitation for recreational, emergency, or other occupancy, that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It contains less than 320 square feet of internal living room area, excluding builtin equipment, including, but not limited to, wardrobe, closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.
(2) It contains 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at maximum horizontal projections.
(3) It is built on a single chassis.
(4) It is either self-propelled, truck-mounted, or permanently towable on the highways without a permit.

Calif. vehicle code 260.
(a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

"There would be no penalty if this approach didn't succeed"

I would tend to disagree with that. While you should not get 'red flagged' the same as a '49 state' vehicle were it can never be registered in Calif after getting busted, I find that if your paperwork is screwy the first time, it gets looked at more and more each time you try and go back with 'corrections'. My advise is to shoot for correct the first time.
YMMV

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
4) Register it as a commercial vehicle at the DMV, ideally non-operational to save money
5) Begin modifications, driving it as little as possible (i.e. only for things like picking up the flatbed and camper)
Another idea is to do nothing until the modification is complete. It has no plates, but I did just survive an 1800 mile drive with no issue :)

Your last line is what I did. Mine (14' box truck) was from Colorado and commercial registration in California would have been over $1600 a year in registration and insurance for a truck that was parked in my 'backyard' 99.95% of the times. The few times I drove it in Cali, it was as a 'rouge' truck. When I moved to Oregon, registered it as a motorhome (much easier in Oregon then Calif) and it is now <$200 a year for registration and insurance.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great thread on this exact thing on the wanderwest forums under "Avoiding weight fees in CA registrations" from the sound of it on that thread you want a RV registration even if its a standard pickup, if you plan on keeping the camper box on full time its easy to get the RV reg, and far far cheaper on the pocket book.

dlh62c

Explorer

A RV certification isn't that easy or simple.

You need to take into account what your vehicle insurance company considers as a RV. Be prepared to supply pictures inside and out.

Once they run the VIN and the vehicle comes back as commercial, don't be surprised if they won't cover you. If they do, it'll be at a commercial rate.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great thread on this exact thing on the wanderwest forums under "Avoiding weight fees in CA registrations" from the sound of it on that thread you want a RV registration even if its a standard pickup, if you plan on keeping the camper box on full time its easy to get the RV reg, and far far cheaper on the pocket book.

Drive it home, dont register it till you have enough plumbing installed to show DMV its a RV and not a delivery truck.

safariman

Observer
hey man,

how did you fair out ? I just bought a mitsu fuso 4x4 for a steal in new york state . I live in california ! I had a good friend of mine from phildelphia who actually lived real close buy it in his name for me (dealer wouldnt put in mine cos i wasnt present ). so truck is now registered in his name in philadelphia. planning on doing a title transfer into my name and shipping her over to cali. im planning a build out .

now , what should i do.
1> leave it registered in philly in my name , register it as a truck out there, bring back to cali and use here as my camper.

2> bring it out to CA, register as non op, build out camper and then try to register as RV (floor area is 11x7)

3>bring to CA, register as commercial truck

On another note, how do the turbo diesel rigs do with the smog test in CA?

Really appreciate any info you can offer and if you have a link to your build thread, if you have one, would love to see it.

21ec184f-4e38-4009-bc50-1071c71f7428.jpgc195e020-6c44-4683-9b13-5c169f5c312f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan