Mitsubishi Fuso House Truck Build

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Make sure you have vehicle insurance sorted out before you start as these trucks carry a commercial rating. Unless the truck doesn't move during the effort and you can get by having a un-plated vehicle in your driveway, you'll need to source some.

All states are different, but in my state you can't get a vehicle re-certified as an RV based on your INTENT to do so. The vehicle has to meet items on a checklist. Vehicle RV certification inspections are performed at a State Highway Patrol inspection station.
Easy Breezy in Oregon were the OP has his location listed.
Oregon Recreational Vehicles:
A vehicle that has been designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation, i.e., permanent sleeping and cooking facilities. This includes permanently mounted campers on pickup trucks or other truck frames.

I screwed a futon mattress frame to the wall and attached a cabinet with a sink and Colman stove to the other wall. My Oregon DMV was happy with that.

>>Amk22, if you want the cabinet with the sink and stove to get by for registration, it is your's for free. You can pick up, or I can maybe drop it off in Portland next month for you.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Do people here think its worth the effort to mount the frame with four spring mounts or just use the standard U bolts to mount. We met a guy who built a house truck on an Izuzu, and just used the U bolts. He hasn't had any issues, but is also not driving it on dirt roads etc as much as we plan on doing. Have been reading a lot of different opinions about this particular question, and wondering what you all would do. Thank you

The spring mounts (simple are fine), are well worth here. There are lots of examples here on the Expo Portal

Amk22

Easy Breezy in Oregon were the OP has his location listed.
Oregon Recreational Vehicles:
A vehicle that has been designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation, i.e., permanent sleeping and cooking facilities. This includes permanently mounted campers on pickup trucks or other truck frames.

I screwed a futon mattress frame to the wall and attached a cabinet with a sink and Colman stove to the other wall. My Oregon DMV was happy with that.

>>Amk22, if you want the cabinet with the sink and stove to get by for registration, it is your's for free. You can pick up, or I can maybe drop it off in Portland next month for you.

Ya I was worried that registration would be tricky to figure out, but I talked to the head person at the DMV to make sure I was doing everything correctly before I built, and we have a space actually that we're storing it to build it, and once it has the kitchen and sleeping area in it we will register it as a motorhome. I figured if we aren't done by the time we have to be out of the space then I would do something like what you did..stick a matress a counter top and a cook top in there. Thank you for the suggestion and the offer. We are still several months out from being able to register it.

dlh62c

Explorer
Oh okay, and what brand spring mounts did you use?

During your research, you'll get a sense that most spring mount designs are home spun.

Spring mounts or torsion free mounts as they are often referred too, allow the vehicle frame to twist and flex as the vehicle rolls over uneven terrain. With their use, the vehicle frame isn't restricted in movement by an attached rigid body. These mounts also prevent torsional forces from being transferred to the camper body. Over time, torsional forces will cause cabinets to come apart, plumbing fittings to fail and window and door seals will start to leak water and dust.

Keep in mind that a torsion free mount design has to allow the camper body to separate or lift off the frame rails, but also has to guide the body as it settles back down. They also have to prevent the body from crashing into the back of the cab during a sudden stop and yet prevent the body from sliding off the vehicle frame rails to the rear and/or roll off the side.

The only commercial torsion free mounts I've come across were from United Truck & Equipment, designed to mount a water tank to a truck. I can't recommend these as there isn't any data on bolt size and grade, nor is there any data on the springs. Having the four rear mounts being rigid, will certainly restrict the attached body from shifting forward, backward and side-to-side movement.

If you haven't noticed yet, the frame on the FG is different from that of the two wheel drive. There's a step-up in the frame rails that has to be taken into account. The body builders guide in a link, in a prior post, shows how to deal with this.

On the flip side Don & Kim Greene traveled the world with their Unicell body rigidly mounted to their truck. Here's a link to their build; QuestConnect.

Hope this all made sense!

WTM.jpg WTM1.jpg

Last edited:

Amk22

Hello! I am only asking this because I have searched for hours for this information online and can't find it anymore. I thought, in my early research, that I found a guide for how long you could extend your frame based on your wheelbase, and I can't find it anymore. I called Mit Fuso of Portland and they told me I could only extend the frame by one foot..from it's current 11 ft to 12. I could have sworn I found something that said I could extend to 14, which would be ideal. Does anyone have any resources/information on this? We have the Mit Fuso FG 649 with a wheelbase of 109. Thank you

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You obviously have the short wheelbase Fuso.
The only real difference between the short and medium wheelbase models is the length of the chassis (and obviously the drive shaft), which is 600mm longer (about 23.6"). Don't know why Fuso would say you can only extend half of that distance.

WayneRoberts

Hi Mog, do you happen to have a copy of the Body Builders Guide for 2005-07? The link to the mitfuso.com site no longer works?

Regards,
Wayne

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Amk22 - I have a short wheelbase FG and I am in Beaverton. PM me if you would like to come out and see my truck. It might answer a lot of your questions. Here's more info on my truck:

Buckstopper

yabanja

Explorer
Hello! I am only asking this because I have searched for hours for this information online and can't find it anymore. I thought, in my early research, that I found a guide for how long you could extend your frame based on your wheelbase, and I can't find it anymore. I called Mit Fuso of Portland and they told me I could only extend the frame by one foot..from it's current 11 ft to 12. I could have sworn I found something that said I could extend to 14, which would be ideal. Does anyone have any resources/information on this? We have the Mit Fuso FG 649 with a wheelbase of 109. Thank you
We love our short wheelbase truck, and while I had considered lengthening it I am glad I didn't. The tight turning radius is awesome and a 12'x7' box is more than enough space. As for the subframe.... you do need a subframe to limit the noodle ness of the chassis. I followed Mitsubishi's factory box builders guide and built a very strong solid mounted subframe with a three point mount on top of that to limit torsional transfer to the camper box. Our truck has seen as much abuse as any-(see our YouTube videos in the signature) and we have zero issues with the camper box or the truck frame.

We look forward to seeing your progress!

Allan and Sakshi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger