Mitsubishi ROSA bus as a Camper conversion?

pattersonimages

Adventurer
Hi all.. just wondering if anyone has seen a conversion of one of the Mitsubishi Bus "ROSA" 4x4 models? I have seen a few of these busses in Japan, and they seem like a perfect fit for a conversion.
4D33 engine - non turbo same as the old FG Canters,FD-501B chass,,. Anyone ever see a camperized model?
19537a9n2f.jpg
19537a9n2f.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Sure, a Rosa 4x4 would make a fine platform for a roomy RV conversion. The Toyota Coaster is also available in 4x4, and is more commonly converted to RV use.

All Terrain Warriors in Queensland, Australia have lots of photos of RV 4x4 chassis they converted to RV use http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Chip, Haven't spoken for ages......Hope you're doing well.

Anyway, the Coaster aren't available here in Oz as a 4by (actually I wasn't aware they made them) but there are plenty of 2wd Coasters around that have been converted and they aren't to bad if done properly. I think a company a couple of hours North of us do a conversion using F250 diffs and Landcruiser transfer cases. Some of the tour companies use them but they aren't the strongest things around.

Same with the 4x4 Rosas. OK for light duty offroad use and (as an example) perfect for the snow country resorts in New Zealand where there are plenty of them running around. These were all 2nd hand Japanese imports. There are only a handful of them here but again >> not the strongest thing....not the chassis and running gear so much but the bodies .....which are basically a 2wd Rosa with the FG front diff. You can imagine how much moving around they do on corrugations here.

This is one of the Japanese 4x4 Rosa imports that used to run up the beach near my place. Note the old single Fuso rear wheels on 9.00R16 Michelins. The company that owned this one had 5 Cruisers and this Rosa bus 3 years ago.....now they have 3 x FG buses and one Cruiser. What does that say?

5496164425_e4bb0f4d2a_z.jpg

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
john,
its been my understanding from the old bloke that the coaster is a MUCH tougher vehicle than the rosa. they seem to take a fair bit of punishment from the likes of the backpacker operators. however, f250 diffs under a coaster? mm no thanks. as you say, certainly not the strongest thing around..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears