Mix&Match Jeeps

wacker

Observer
After reading the post about the XJ powered 109 this got me thinking about what other 'hybrid' jeep ideas are out there. I've personally lusted over the idea of a 3b with a toy mini truck drivetrain. 22re in a platform it could really shine in. What are some other ideas or projects you've all seen? Obviously any jeep with a cool mechanical diesel would be hot.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
A friend has a Toy driveline in a M38. Can't remember if it is a 22R or RE.

I've often wondered if a Jeep 2.5 from a TJ could be made to fit in a flatty. Well, anything can be made to fit. I guess I should add the proviso "cleanly".

I really like the idea of a 4.0/AW4/NV241 in a FSJ - that's not really "out there" though since FSJs came with the 258 back in the day.

Any of the EFI Jeep drivetrains in a M667 would be cool also. It's been done already though. I just love the M667.

SBCs into Jeeps have been done to death. WJ 4.7 hasn't to my knowledge. Not sure I'd swap a 4.0 out for one though. Maybe a 2.5.

wjeeper

I've often wondered if a Jeep 2.5 from a TJ could be made to fit in a flatty. Well, anything can be made to fit. I guess I should add the proviso "cleanly".

I have considered taking my "extra" 2.5l/ax5 YJ and shortening the frame between the spring hanger and transmission cross member, shifting the front axle rearward and putting a flat fender body on it.........modern chassis, parts availability, better driving manners and classic looks:drool:

I have measured the tubs a few different times and I think its reasonably doable........now just to find the money to actually do it

What were we talking about again:elkgrin:

lamontagne

Adventurer
I've been thinking alot lately about swapping a jeep 4.0 HO/AW4/D300 in an FJ60 with Waggy 44's front and rear.

I absolutely love the FJ60 body style, but they are terribley underpowered stock, and while purists rave about the strength of the Toy axles, the Birfs are very expensive and troublesome to rebuild, at least in comparison to a D44.

I am aware that a Jeep 4.0 would still be somewhat underpowered considering the weight of a kitted out 60, but the Jeeps 190Hp and 235t vs the 60's 135hp and 210t (When it was brand new anyways) would mean the difference of keeping up in traffic. :smiley_drive:

Besides, Jeep parts are a plenty in the junk yards and craigslist ads across the country!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I don't dislike your idea but if it were me I'd drop a 60 body on a 80 frame and drivetrain. Less work to end up at more or less the same place with OEM long arm coil suspension. The TLC parts are still more expensive than the Jeep/Dana stuff but not that big a deal.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My kinda of thread....

YJ jeep frame and body, 4cyl version, soft top, half doors
Highline front fenders and tub the rear
100" wheelbase, SUA, 2" lift, 12" travel shocks, bumps, straps
Gen right ext fuel tank
VW 1.9 TDI engine with mechanical pump conversion
Toyota 5-speed transmission and crawler box ( similar to AX5 )
AA toy to D300 adapter with flipped D300 for drivers drop and twin sticked
Drivers drop toyota mini truck front axle housing from TG, Diamond, etc
Matching width rear toyota floater axle
Factory toyota e-lockers front and rear
37-39" tires

Should be sub 4K pounds if you don't get crazy, Ultra-low gearing with the double t-case system, 30 mpg or so, etc.

It would be my deep snow play toy.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
My KJ is a mix match for sure...

WK long-arm kit from Clayton offroad
ZJ adco sway bar in the rear
XJ LPDana44 rear axle
TJ HPDana44 front axle
80 series land cruiser rear springs (OME863)
early 90s ford bronco steering gearbox

lamontagne

Adventurer
I don't dislike your idea but if it were me I'd drop a 60 body on a 80 frame and drivetrain. Less work to end up at more or less the same place with OEM long arm coil suspension. The TLC parts are still more expensive than the Jeep/Dana stuff but not that big a deal.

$4500 for an FJ80 rebuilt trans, $3000 for a head gasket rebuild ( I got those prices from posts on this board BTW) vs a 4.0 head gasket rebuild at $800 and a rebuilt AW4 for a $1000 (both local shop prices)??

Coils vs leafs???? (I have both on my Jeep, so my opinion is mute :coffeedrink: )

But...being as this all hypothetical anyway please dont take this as anything close to an argument! :D

YJ jeep frame and body, 4cyl version, soft top, half doors
Highline front fenders and tub the rear
100" wheelbase, SUA, 2" lift, 12" travel shocks, bumps, straps
Gen right ext fuel tank
VW 1.9 TDI engine with mechanical pump conversion
Toyota 5-speed transmission and crawler box ( similar to AX5 )
AA toy to D300 adapter with flipped D300 for drivers drop and twin sticked
Drivers drop toyota mini truck front axle housing from TG, Diamond, etc
Matching width rear toyota floater axle
Factory toyota e-lockers front and rear
37-39" tires

NICE!! :beer:

BBCchris

Observer
Now thats what I'm talking about. I love the "use what you can get" threads. Thats kinda why I'm doing the jeep/109 build. To me it's about using parts that are plentiful and available. Honestly I would love to drive my franken-truck around the world exploring but the cruel reality is that I'm probably never going to be able to. I really thought about putting a diesel in it because it the "in" thing to do, I have a Nissan SD33 and a 6BT sitting on pallets in the garage but the beating the frame would take with a 6bt would make the swap more trouble than its worth to me.
I really like the idea of using the VW TDI in some of the smaller trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears