Mobil One users....Big or little filter

Klierslc

Explorer
I picked up an oill filter yesterday and was looking through the filter book.

It shows 2 different filters for the 80 series, based on year. IIRC, the 93-96 used the M1-301, and the 97 and the LX-450 used the much smaller M1-102.

I bought the bigger one for the larger amount of filter media, but I wondered who else uses them and which one they use. Same price BTW.

It seems to me the bigger filter would be better for the extended oil change intervals common to mobile one users, but I am not sure.

Thanks!

Dan

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of a bigger filter for a few reasons: A little added capasity will help reduce starting wear and the larger filter can be thought of as a way to shed motor heat. The extra filter media would seem to offer better filtration.

The only down side I could see would be a little extra strain on the oil pump beyond Toyotas usual exact specs. This is all guesswork on my part so it will interesting to read what others think.

AndrewP

Explorer
Use either. The smaller one causes less rattle at start, if your truck is prone to that. I like the big ones since they are spec'ed on the FJ40/60/62. That way I just keep a couple of one size and it works on either.

Klierslc

Explorer
My 93 had startup rattle, but my 94 never did, and my 97 doesn't. We will see if this makes a difference.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If they have an anti-drain back valve in them that is functioning correctly the larger filter should only cause the rattle on the first start after an oil exchange.

Assuming the same flow out of the oil pump, the larger filter will have less pressure drop across the filter.

I use a ~1 qt. capacity Ford 5.0L/5.8L V8 application Wix-made filter on my 22R. Frequently the threads and the gasket diameter are the same even if the size of the filter bodies are not. There are several common thread/Gasket size combos used by engine mfgs (there are a bunch of uncommon too, so its not a slam-dunk). The only time that I've seen such a 'conversion' fail was on a VW diesel engine. It's 100+ psi cold idle oil pressure was well beyond what the Ford application filter was intended to experience.

AndrewP

Explorer
Interestingly the PH8-A and equivalent is a classic Ford size and fits Land Cruisers perfectly. In fact I have a Motorcraft on my FJ40 right now.

I can also say from experience that the small Land Cruiser filter fits and works perfectly on our 2004 Sienna!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
as long as they both have the drain back valve and the same filter size ...........Upsize !

more filter area - more flow- no down side

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The 20004 (smaller) filter is the "preferred" filter for the 80 series. IIRC several folks have done quite a bit of research, including oil testing with the different filters and cutting the filters apart to look at the media.

Do a search on the 80s section of IH8MUD, there's a ton of info on there regarding the filter difference.

I always used the 20004 filter on my 80; buying 'em from CDan at American Toyota by the case.

-H-

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
I originally installed a mobil 1 filter when I bought the truck. I used the large filter and had problems with it leaking down the side of the block. Switched to the toyota filters and haven't had a problem since. Was porbably a one off deal with the mobil 1 filter but you might want to make sure you snug it down well.

Klierslc

Explorer
The 20004 (smaller) filter is the "preferred" filter for the 80 series. IIRC several folks have done quite a bit of research, including oil testing with the different filters and cutting the filters apart to look at the media.

Do a search on the 80s section of IH8MUD, there's a ton of info on there regarding the filter difference.

I always used the 20004 filter on my 80; buying 'em from CDan at American Toyota by the case.

-H-

I usually buy mine from him too, but I was asking more about the mobil brand filters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears