Moby1 owners?

fireball

Explorer
With business practices and an attitude like that, I'd be surprised if that high demand continues too much longer. :rolleyes:

I saw one of their trailers in VT this past weekend and had a pretty good look over. It's nice, but I didn't think it any nicer or better than the other commercially available units like SoCal or AT.

brushogger

Explorer
I was considering a Moby1 XTR, but I simply do not like the policies of the company. For those interested though, they do have a trailer they have not advertised yet coming up for sale. Here is a correspondence from B. Ashley Grimes explaining it,

After seeing it was used with water damage, and they were selling it at list price, I explained I was not interested and good luck. This is the correspondence I received in return from B. Ashley Grimes,

So, I guess if you are willing to check in periodically, you can get a used or unclaimed unit quicker than 12 months. Personally though, if they are taking deposits of 50% and not refunding 25% of it if there is a cancellation, I have a hard time paying list for a trailer that has been 25% paid for by someone else. Seems like an unfriendly customer policy,

From their comments though, their products seem to be in enough high demand that they do not need to worry about such perceptions.

Regards,
Shacke

There is much more to the story than just this. I have seen this trailer in person. Yes there was some minor water damage, and Ashley went over and above making it right with his customer. He has also restored the trailer to as new condition. I will have no qualms about buying one. I suggest that anyone interested in one visit Moby's production shop. They are a class act.

Bombsight

Observer
Yes there was some minor water damage.

In my case, the water damage upon return was "minor" because, for months, while waiting on a refund, I spent money on a large tarp and covered it .... preventing substantial damage from typical rains while just sitting in my driveway.

jfyi .... If one buys this product .... and for any reason decides they want a refund, be aware that more than likely, you will not be refunded state sales tax which could lead to thousands of dollars lost.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I don't know that it fits into the illegal category, but it's not that uncommon for small niche style businesses to operate this way. It generally means they lack the operating capital to fund projects. In certain cases I can see a business requiring up front payment for an item(s) that may be special in nature or specific to a particular customers wants, and not easy to return or unload if that customer bails. I've done that myself for special materials I can't return and might have to sit on forever.

In this particular case it would seem a bit wishy-washy to require a 50% deposit on an item that won't be delivered for onwards of a year. Especially since any "unclaimed items sell within 24 hrs" like was stated. If that is the case and demand is that great where is the risk for the business so severe that they have to demand a 25% non refundable? And won't issue any refund until the item sells? That's a new one.

I don't know this business from Adam and have no dog at all in this, but from the outside looking in they'd never get my money. It sounds, maybe not is, but sounds like a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul and that's a risky entity to do business with.

fireball

Explorer
If they produce 2 units a month, the average unit is $30k which makes the average deposit $15k, and the current backlog is 12 months then that is $360k they are sitting on. Something seems fishy to me.

I'm not spending $30k on a teardrop unit anytime soon, but as a fellow small business owner I am a fan of seeing others succeed, and especially others in a niche market like that. But that said, I certainly would never run my business that way (even if the demand was there) and I would never choose to do business with an outfit who worked like this.

Perhaps there is a perfectly good explanation for these policies and I'd be curious to hear what that might be.

GFA

Adventurer
Before deciding on building my own teardrop, Moby and little guy were my top 2 choices. Yeah, it's like deciding between a Prius and a tesla but either way I had made my mind up that if I couldn't have a firm delivery date from Moby to go along with their ridiculous deposit I'd go with little guy.

I'm a custom home builder like another poster back a page or two and deal with contracts all the time. Our required deposits are much less, usually about 5% and it costs me if I fail to make the scheduled closing date. Along with that, I have ever changing weather conditions to deal with instead of a climate controlled shop where it never rains or snows. Anyone who drops a 50% deposit without a guaranteed delivery date or an agreement of concessions if not met in my opinion is an idiot...

The water leak issue is another deal in itself. I take what I read on the Internet as fiction instead of fact and can assume that the demand shows the quality to be expected. Any new product will have issues as shown here and we can assume without more info that they've been fully resolved at this point. So far I know of only these two with issues out of what I'm guessing is about 100 or so on the road? 100% of the houses I build have issues that need addressing so their 98% rate is pretty impressive to me.

I have no doubt that the Moby product is one of the best available even though their business practices seem a little questionable.
SB

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Based on the history of this thread/forum itself, it appears there to be no trailers built or completed within the originally proposed completion. In fact, there is actually a "Moby 1 Refund Group" filled with several owners who have requested refunds within the last 2 years due to Moby 1 Trailer's inability to meet the deadlines.

Where is this group page at?

campsalot

moby refund or completion

hey moby hopefuls, any positive feedback on the company recently.. i ordered mine a 13 months ago and am waiting still? is it just a patients and trust thing? are folks with moby xrt pleased?

west_ok

Adventurer
hey moby hopefuls, any positive feedback on the company recently.. i ordered mine a 13 months ago and am waiting still? is it just a patients and trust thing? are folks with moby xrt pleased?

Some friends of mine have one it is awesome! Although I can understand your frustration! They swear it was worth the wait.

B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cactusjk

Explorer
If you are considering a SoCal I have a February 2016 build date at Treeline Teardrops in Petaluma, CA I need to cancel. You will still be able to pick a trailer and customize. Please PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksj

Observer
I would stay well away from purchasing a Moby 1 if I could do it over. Nothing but delays and stress. Furthermore, the trailer leaks and their "customer service" is an attorney named Mr. E. Gregg Tobler. I'm about to file suit against them because of all the issues. In my opinion, if you haven't given them any money, don't. If you have, do a very serious inspection of the trailer before you accept it. That should include extensive leak testing. And don't take "we'll take of that later" as an answer.

Oh, and if 13 months is anything like like the 3-6 months I was told at the time I placed a deposit, forget that. In my case it was double the long end of that timeframe. And when you hear the same excuses more than once, it's likely because he forgot what he told you the last time. That's just my opinion, but the same person having the same issue twice in 6 months is unlikely (multiples times).

Earlier in this thread Mr. Grimes claimed he was adjusting customer warranties to address the leakage problems. Sorry, but no, he isn't, hence the pending lawsuit. Or at least he isn't with mine.

Ashley - Feel free to have Mr. Tobler send a threatening letter. I'd be happy to attach it as further evidence. Oh, and before you start deleting posts in this thread and others, I've already got screen captures, so don't bother or you'll be dealing with accusations of falsifying evidence as well.

My trailer was kept under cover for over a year because the doors leaked (plus I was dealing with cancer surgery and the aftermath of that). New doors were finally sent 8 months after the report, I had them professionally replaced, then found that when it was left out that the galley hinge leaks as well. No response from his "customer service" attorney.

I have copies of my email threads with Moby 1 and with Mr. Tobler if someone who is considering a purchase is interested.

Mr. Tobler - The truth is an affirmative defense against a defamation claim. I will file a counter claim against your client and specifically against you if you wish to file a frivolous claim against me for my expressing my opinions and describing issues that are well documented through email. I'm not someone who will be intimidated. Your threats will only result in greater resolve on my part. And I have the money to see it through, especially since I'm confident that in the end you and your client will be paying my attorney fees.

If you decide you would like to resolve this privately then let me know. You have my contact information. Or just respond to my last email. Otherwise in 2 weeks I will file suit in King County District Court as my last email stated.

Moderators, if you would like documentation of any of this, please let me know, I'd be happy to provide it.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
I would stay well away from purchasing a Moby 1 if I could do it over.

Don't know how many times I looked over your for sale Moby1 and thought that it was dress right dress teardrop. Very sorry to hear it came to this but thank you I guess, since I won't be spending my hard earned money on their products unless they do right by their customers and products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12