Modified PowerPlant for onboard air and inside controls

dsy

Adventurer
Finally got my PowerPlant winch modified and installed the way I want it. I relocated the air tank from the top of the winch to the rear seat area to allow more airflow to the radiator and increase the tank size. I used a piece of 1/2" think aluminum angle (from Metal Mart) to take the place of the tank since the tank is part of the structure of the winch. I had a machine shop drill the angle out for me for $30. to be able to use the stock tank mounting bolts. I installed a 3/8" in-line air check valve ( from Graingers) first in the line and then the pressure switch that was in the original tank. With the check valve in line first the system holds pressure great.

powerplantfront1.jpg

insidetank.jpg

insidetank3.jpg

Front air coupling for blowing out trail dust from inside the cab. Wire coiled under it is the cable for the winch controls as I did not have the switches installed yet here.

frontaircoupling.jpg

After the pressure switch I installed a bypass valve (from McMaster-Carr) which I turn to allow the compressor to free flow when using the PowerPlant as a winch. Other wise when the air tank is full the pressure switch shuts the winching down. This allows me to keep the air tank pressurized and still winch.

bypassvalve.jpg

And last I mounted up my inside winch controls using a cable I got from John over at http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6203
and the switches he suggested. I fabbed up a box to mount above the rearview mirror that can hold six switches. The other spots went for locker controls and a switch to disable the esp nanny.

switch2.jpg

switch1a.jpg

And kind of related I moved my rear battery volt meter from the cover under the fridge in the rear to a spot up front where I could monitor it easier. I installed a pressure gauge in the rear where the volt meter was which you can see in the second picture above. This spot actually makes a perfect place to mount a single gauge, I found a old lawn sprinkler head in my garage that was the same inside dia as needed for the gauge. A trip on the belt sander gave it just the right angle and contour to epoxy to that cover and not interfer with anything else.

voltguage.jpg

Last edited:

BC Explorer

Adventurer
Were did you get the symbols for the switches, the 2 locker ones look like ARB symbols but I have not seen the rest before. I run the same switches but they are blank.

Bodo

Adventurer
wonder why that site has this warning about the switches

Not recommended for Jeep TJ Wranglers or any application where the upper light is to be connected to the dash light circuit, and the top of the switch is tilted back towards the driver or passengers.

chuck45

Observer
Very ingenius. I like it. I assume you rewired your lockers so that they operate indepedently of the transfer case being in low?

dsy

Adventurer
Lookin good

Are you going to put a bar or skid plate to protect your compressor on your front bumper?

Where the compressor part sticks up I dont think it will need any more protection. If I bash that I figure I'll be having bigger problems to deal with.

I assume you rewired your lockers so that they operate indepedently of the transfer case being in low?

Yes the lockers are independent of transfer case now.

Last edited:

chuck45

Observer
Yes the lockers are independent of transfer case now.

I've been thinking of doing that. Did you use a set of instructions that you found workable? If so would you mind pointing them out? What happened to the locking indicator lights on the dash - are they dead or are they still functional?

dsy

Adventurer
I've been thinking of doing that. Did you use a set of instructions that you found workable? If so would you mind pointing them out? What happened to the locking indicator lights on the dash - are they dead or are they still functional?

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6773&d=1238266591

The stock switches still function normally and the lights indicate as they should. When you use the independent switches the lights on the dash blink instead of lighting solid even though the selected locker is locked

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle