Modify pop up camper?

eaneumann

Adventurer
I just bought a Tundra Crewmax with the 5.5' bed on it. Was planning to either put a rooftop tent or camper shell on it. Same day a friend of mine offered me a slide in pop up camper for free. The camper is for a 8 foot bed with a really slim section that goes over the cab with the bed in that section. Is it worth shortening this to fit in my truck? It's only my wife and I so space inside isn't really an issue. I have a lot of tools and fabrication experience, I'm an auto body technician for work. I'm sure it can be done, but I've never owned or messed with a camper. Thoughts?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418671679.784823.jpg

Thanks!

Eric

subterran

Adventurer
Hello!
Free is a heck of a deal! I am a camper optimist, and will always mod something if possible, but I'm afraid there might be too many worms in that can. If it's a fourwheel brand camper, you might consider just selling it and buying something with a better fit. If it's wooden, it might be a little easier to shorten, but you're still going to have to deal with the canvas part.
To sum it up: if it's a fourwheel brand, it's probably worth too much to risk ruining. If it's wood, the value is less, so if you make a mess then it will hurt less. Good luck, and if you do go ahead with it please document it here. There are many who would benefit from seeing it done.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I met a guy that sorta did that - my only thought is TIME.. He was a little unhappy about the amount of time he had invested in the camper and still having an old and odd duck camper after he was done. He said he would have been more happy out camping vs at home rebuilding the old camper. Just one thing to consider also. Yes do some research to find out what camper you have it may be far too valued to chop up which case you might do better selling and tracking down a camper that fits your rig ready to go.

eaneumann

Adventurer
Thanks guys! The camper is old and wooden. Not sure of anything other than that as i don't have it yet. I dont want to take it and have to get rid of it. The upholstery and cavas is no big deal, we have a good local canvas guy. The camper needs to be redone anyhow and i have an open space in my garage all winter! Ill see if i can get some better info from him. Sounds promising, I thought everyone would say to stay away from it haha!

Davious

Observer
Sounds fun

Get some pictures going. Let us see what your talking about.
I'm very interested to see what you have planned.
Nice truck.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
You could gut it for parts and build one that fits. It would need a lot of shortening to balance properly in that short of a box.

craig333

Expedition Leader
A lot of people have modified the base to fit different models but shorten one? Take lots of pics if you decide to undertake this project.

bob91yj

Resident **************
That project sounds like a quick way to spend a LOT of $$$ and not be happy with the results.

"Free" is not ALWAYS a good thing. Prime example, I used to help a pro-rock crawler out, he scored a tire sponsorship, obstacles he used to walk up with his un-sponsored tires, suddenly became full throttle challenge with a lot of burned rubber. He finally decided that he'd rather pay for tires and have a chance at winning rather than run sponsored tires and be an "also ran".

The camper sounds like a "flipper" challenge...take a free camper, add Craig's list, and see how far you can get towards you goal!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears