Modifying my Wilderness Rack

I have an old Wilderness rack currently mounted on my WJ. It dimensions are roughly 44.5"X52"X4". I am going to be extending it so it is 73" long instead of 52". I have a couple questions for you guys. First here is a link to a newer version for a Cherokee, looks the same so the image will work.

First question, currently my rack is a 3 piece bolt together rack. When I extend it should I make it into a 4 piece design or keep it a 3 piece design?

Second question, when I extend it I plan to completely strip the rack of paint and am thinking of covering it in por15 then giving it a coat of paint. Does this sound like it would be a lasting finish?

Third question, The floor of the rack currently has 5 bars that run the length of the rack, The image in the link shows the floor bars. I am thinking about adding in more cross bars removing the current floor bars and welding in an expanded steel floor. Do you guys think this would hurt the racks functionality at all?

Last edited:

PowerWagner

Explorer
Garmin Rack.jpgNot sure I'm helping you but I have a wilderness rack sitting in my back yard I've been trying to sell. Maybe you could use to part up on your extension? Pic shows some of the slats removed; they're in the garage...

Chris

Id love to but I have a feeling it would cost more to get that and get it shipped to Iowa. But feel free to message me what your looking to get.

Last edited:

colorado matt

Adventurer
ok here is mine as a frame of reference ......... first question ... keeping the ends and making a bigger middle section to get the length you want ... I would make an extension over building a whole new middle section ... still be quite sturdy (crossbar added at/near the joint) and be able to make it small again should you want ... although getting that center piece form Cali would be slick for sure .. 2nd question ... lots of people love por15 .. I am not one of them .... lots of prep and it better be good ... expensive .. and does not like sunlight ... now painted over helps the last part ... left mine as I bought it because it is a roof rack and still looks ok but if I did mine I would strip it .. self etching primer ... and rattle can bed liner and be done .... as for the third question you can see by my pic I have no floor ..just the cross bars ... floor kits are crazy expensive and expanded metal floor is what everyone I ask is saying but I am not sold yet ... I have heard it whistles like crazy .... seems like the floor should be welded on and that would make the rack solid for sure but it would make the rack one solid piece .. and isn't that stuff HEAVY .. I think I like the fact I can break it down .... doing some research I came across chicken coop flooring .. cheap light strong ... just cant seem to find a 4x8 sheet of it .... wood slats are my favorite option to date .... I can stain or paint to my liking ... drill and add crap as I figure out my layout ... kids can help with the project ... kind of period correct for a 40 year old truck ..kinda .... good luck .... and post up what you come up with ... Matt

Last edited:
I was thinking about bed liner or that high temp grill paint that isn't supposed to rust or scratch. As for the por15 only reason it's an option is because I'm doing the undercarriage with it.

Now as for that Cali rack if I did end up with it I'd probably use it instead of mine lol.

The floor I'm just thinking about changing. Could use that cheap stuff people use till they get maxtrax. Similar to the coop floor

colorado matt

Adventurer
great ... now you cans sell yours to get back some coin ... I know they are not cheap .... garvin website has some cool add on stuff for the racks ... I am looking at their axe shovel mount ... got my rack on craigslist for 200 bucks (watched for more than a year looking) so at a hundred bucks for the axe shovel mount and another 100ish in wood and bolts I will still be way ahead of the game and have a decent set up .... but I like the fist clamps and could cut that 100 for the mounts in half ..... Matt

I got mine for $200 from a forum member on a different site. Worked fine till I bought my awning. Now I'm going to make it longer to cover the complete roof.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
If you are doing the awning you should do a swingout arm... for that awning...
HxRdmrBonsz2tTFHwMMcvo-_-qRPr9nbGsvj2U_mMfCRJDwQ3uwUli1VTxRXM9W3YPINBWDsqd3NrHu6QBwdnmtHCPGr8ND7hkwU3CFEfX9TKecNlPWwdE1EscnydWkv8flu5elOZ7_epK3FbpYYMRkaHBhQMudCY0bclsEPC9GFncYijPzcBYdcuheMKpxRFVGF69JZkamSoUU1VAZ_HadSrPhlcGV3C1GC86sQiymF7xBIIspjnBw94sfhv7O91APJTGmM7WZTGxwrowBapQTonScCTatBjkU1a_oSl-KumP7096pkbQMlPTOV1qiYREYLqRiZh9CjsD3_N0sK4lHx2kmiBcntVBB2T7VZ2tST_tU_Yz7ni36EhW19N5NiwmZRm2CyPg7GMkrqUh-w3mmH-y-IVVnfJsE66gTtfifg97zP0EdIMo1CIz2AsiWiQmfBzixX3Va8voEc-bZXBKCuDPMjWH3nZUPQ4Qsr_VKsJEstU0SJzP39U2-Yo_wTv1PBNUZeizdCparFMU9K7CZbt6yzTcBWx_Q__HWqB0CRU_Pd57KIz1sUYHP256vvi1-o=w1139-h681-no

zwOEbX_vtqOcDISn4kzpZxKMlLACcrA3twdcjnGQnstz-ejRxVWKdla6g1BvxTimnwQrsBNhbqYVuYn-ZTyUFJUBFIfkJcQP7gOudziUY6PQGayOax10MvGbyDTiro7ydi3UgPtxxvvpNZddavLr-arN1ysXs8gMmiA6sYXj7wZMCgOY4sIa_MsE2JMoX0qbpvTmheH4dZ_u17L4NZtHDsx6NkwDyj3QSMRnYkeang5spReNRKQ_BSoR1NnG8sGOPeFp1YZsBUb3Q7XqauzCfWXjbj-R6T83vL8Oo9pb4w5XDKyIxrn7LCLQVy7yBsRPdbLjN1mju1_7Y1vLh9r7gJBcSQvj922IQGWtRZtsi5vzF4qs0m-1XlCRuECHpzZAXGEyeIlwmYQJBDIRdlxeyOmNgnqcbxVJ51NVWhf4ThEaihQHXIRZMv4XtErn8FiRkRkmMCLW6UsmIFoMadbYq7XaYiP0YdUyfNNBe27Ageh2BZRvrhf6NAtADjQBSeQYR13ZrE4_Cf39cGWLlvFLfMuqxPVBB10DDEwjq7HuJwjCflO9Xu9FoecuUfshhvkJUtGS=w1139-h681-no

kmvoRR88jXtLagQVM-F3ast7DFEmeIFs52hyjgglkmsRkFqy59GY-B4OgJgXT8XStyUDaDqF4SDQ4mxOx484rJ0PuD8BqeXTa7uBsz-c7W1QZh0bdEZ5bmeZVHMre1Qorh8Y-KqQLKLJHM6XoO_viaenEfxndBkIR71FIw1Dw86LzT72QDVj2UIA3ltjZkzlhtv8Rhy5w26St1lXCzZPjF09zL-DzvKq1Bh8JfQMuKYtp6oqseGMLSpWkXgmkoqY7q1wcllZ55lf300wlugcN4otq4zL2SZKBqAn45SAFGEo8Sj5PqXj34EYy62ZwfUfJlUX2WPLKCA3G9kIVnImrdZI7bEv1vSIBLAU0iHfnDmklpw68xSyA2iorLVM009O_sKo6i9LdKMHhekK2nP3DjcreTTubhX7js0wAlDNTtuVmHsICjOSqvD90CoEdImCbbBiBXF2L6mAb1ZPdGdHm6tPzxTJRhgx12S6aObCt4ccRO73OUCrULAIsTopXyJYfKAisXofY0E8rtm2FrbkoQciHSwvpsyBX2S9m_1CuvCgU14GbHwhWa_qmvfjtMB6oZ9J=w1139-h681-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears