mods you wouldnt do again ...

M

modelbuilder

An automatic blow up doll in the front passenger seat...never again.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Only mod I regret so far, is having my rollcage mounted solid to the frame.

I should have (and probably will) used some form of bushing mount at the frame.

With the seats bolted to the full cage, and the cage bolted to the frame, you feel every bump on the road.

The suspension seats help a lot, but in a CJ7, you need all the 'smooth' you can get.:wings:

Rambow

Worst mod-Trading in my old 96 F350 P/s for a 2003 Superduty 6.0 P/S
Best mod- Selling a 2003 Superduty 6.0 P/S and buying a 1993 Dodge X-cab cummins 5spd 4x4.
I will never get rid of the dodge I love it!!!
OK real worst mod was spending a pile of money on above said 6.0 fuel system. Only a month later it does same thing again.Spend more money,get fixed again. Best mod buying a $2.00 for sale sign for 6.0!!

01tundra

Explorer
Only mod I regret so far, is having my rollcage mounted solid to the frame.

I should have (and probably will) used some form of bushing mount at the frame.

With the seats bolted to the full cage, and the cage bolted to the frame, you feel every bump on the road.

The suspension seats help a lot, but in a CJ7, you need all the 'smooth' you can get.:wings:

Hijack: Here's what I did -

cage13-2.jpg

Rigged

Observer
X2 on the roof rack (I put something up there once for about ten minutes)

ditto.

x3, but I have used it quite a bit, but I could have just used the money for an old trailer and a hitch.

Also not listening to everyone on here and get tall and skinny tires with correct backspaced wheels, instead I went with what "looked cool" which I don't think looks "cool" anymore. You live and you learn.

Now I know what I want for my next project <cough>Taco</cough> :)

ryguy

Adventurer
When I first got my fj I bought some nice(expensive) polished trd rims. That weekend a narrow rocky trail hurt my feelings. Steelies went on soon after.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I find it intresting everyone is saying rack, I want a Baja Expedition rack for future RTT addition, but begin to worry about my choice.

x32792

Adventurer
x3, but I have used it quite a bit, but I could have just used the money for an old trailer and a hitch.

Also not listening to everyone on here and get tall and skinny tires with correct backspaced wheels, instead I went with what "looked cool" which I don't think looks "cool" anymore. You live and you learn.

Now I know what I want for my next project <cough>Taco</cough> :)

My roof rack looks good and I do sometimes use it, but as you say, the money could have been spent someplace else.

Everyone in my local Jeep Club is lifted and has huge tires. This improves low speed off road capability, but also requires re-gearing to turn those big tires, raises the center of gravity, reduces highway speed and does not improve your gas milage.

The TJ series is a capable small off road vehicle in stock condition. Not perfect, but she'll do in a pinch. Once you start modifying them, one thing leads to another and $10K later, you'll wish you were back to "stock."

You can run 31" tires unlifted on the street, but they may rub the wheel wells when making tight turns depending on the Brand. Off road and without a lift, 31's may also bind vertically at full articulation.

805387522_UZrps-M.jpg

I'm running 30x9.5 radial A/T tires...For my application which is going long and light off roading, this is a good (no lift) set up for me.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Roof rack comes into play, in my opinion, when you go out with more than 2 people. I don't need a rack when it's just me and someone else. The last trip I did though, we were FIVE people in my XJ. The roof rack was pretty handy then.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I regretted taking my roof rack off so I put it back on.

I don't know how y'all fit everything in your vehicles with out a rack.

jh504

Explorer
I find it intresting everyone is saying rack, I want a Baja Expedition rack for future RTT addition, but begin to worry about my choice.

Having s roof rack is going to be dependent on what trails you plan on frequenting and your own personal needs. Roof racks add a lot of wind resistance and cut down on gas mileage. They add weight to the top of the vehicle which is not where you want it. If you frequent wooded trails, like here in the east, it will get hung up on everything. If you dont have to have a roof rack, I would say dont get it.

However, they are also a necessity for some folks. If you plan on adding an RTT to your rig I would definitely say go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78