Modular bed system for 1 / 2 people ?

uncompromise

Adventurer
We’re researching a modular bed frame we can install in our LWB Gen 3 Pajero. Requirements are:
  • Can easily switch between a single and double configuration, depending on whether traveling solo or together
  • easily removable, and preferably be light enough to be carried by and installed by one person
We have removed all of the seats, and as a daily driver we use the truck for a combination of hauling cargo for our garden and house, moving our dog around, and as a base camp for hiking adventures.

We do not want a permanent setup.

Most of the frames options we see are built with wood or aluminium, with either a plywood top, or wooden slats. A bunch of folks weld their frames, but we don’t have the skills to do this. So we’re thinking about the possibility of using aluminium tubing or 80/20 for the frame, and seatbelt webbing for the mattress base. The seat belt webbing certainly has enough strength to hold the weight of an adult or two if there are enough straps. And by building something like this we could potentially collapse the frame and carry it the 300 metres to our workshop without any issues.

Webbing is commonly used as a furniture base, and we’re obviously all familiar with it’s use for cargo netting and tie downs. Curious to know if anyone has gone this route, or has any thoughts about it. seat belt webbing can be bought from Alibaba for less than 50cents a meter. For what we’re thinking we’d probably need around 30-40 metres.

Noting that we’re based in France, and raw materials here are considerably more expensive, so we’re heavy on research; experiments are costly, and we’d rather take our time and build something right, than go through multiple iterations like we could afford to do when based in the US with a Home Depot easily accessible.

Last edited:

Heading Out

Adventurer
How about something along the lines of a camp/army cot, canvas, tubing, folds up and light weight.
Easy to set up, remove and store when not in use.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses. The issue is that there are two of us, and a dog. So when we’re traveling alone, it’s relatively straightforward, but when there are 2/3 of us, it’s an entirely different issue.

I’d love to use aluminium tube and have a way to ratchet up the tension on a webbing base, as this would make for maximum portability, with a strength to weight ratio that would beat out any other solution I’ve seen to date.

Curiously, I don’t see much in interior build outs for SUV’s that has much modularity. It seems as if the only documented builds either strip out the seats and permanently build out the interior, or leave the seats in and have a temporary fit out that extends over the reclined passenger seats.

Materials in France are considerably more expensive than they are in the USA, so I’m trying to make sure that if I have to spend good money on aluminium tubing, that it actually does what I want it to.

Being able to throw the entire bed onto one shoulder is extremely compelling.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I have a large cot that could be used in your design. Basically it is rolled fabric sewn sleeves with alum tubes on each side. To setup you add perpendicular tubes to each end and it creates the platform. Instead of canvas you could use webbing
Kevin

tanuki.himself

usually furniture like sofas uses rubber webbing that has some stretch. i would think that seat belt type webbing that doesnt have any elasticity is going to be less comfortable. I guess you could use springs on the webbing like a traditional camp bed but that adds cost and complexity

the other problem with aluminium tubing is that as you add tension to the straps, either by tightening them and then adding weight on the bed, is that it will be under considerable bending force in the middle - assuming the bed is a standard 6 feet long. Bigger tubes will be stronger but heavier and more expensive, but bracing would need to curve underneath to allow for some sag on the webbing - adds weight and complexity. Camp bed legs in the middle act to both hold the bed up and keep the sides apart.

I know how much more expensive things are in Europe - building my camper in Spain - so definitely think it through carefully before spending the money

uncompromise

Adventurer
I have a large cot that could be used in your design. Basically it is rolled fabric sewn sleeves with alum tubes on each side. To setup you add perpendicular tubes to each end and it creates the platform. Instead of canvas you could use webbing
Kevin

How tight is the canvas when the cot is fully setup? We want to add a full size mattress to the top of our setup so that we can sleep comfortably when on the road for an extended period.

The Artisan

Adventurer
How tight is the canvas when the cot is fully setup? We want to add a full size mattress to the top of our setup so that we can sleep comfortably when on the road for an extended period.
Very taught no sag, the supports slide into grooves on the side. You could do the same with webbing. If you have an industrial sewing machine I would sew where the straps overlap in squares then Xs. This will give you more support
Kevin
Similar to this 20200806_142932.jpg

uncompromise

Adventurer
usually furniture like sofas uses rubber webbing that has some stretch. i would think that seat belt type webbing that doesnt have any elasticity is going to be less comfortable. I guess you could use springs on the webbing like a traditional camp bed but that adds cost and complexity

the other problem with aluminium tubing is that as you add tension to the straps, either by tightening them and then adding weight on the bed, is that it will be under considerable bending force in the middle - assuming the bed is a standard 6 feet long. Bigger tubes will be stronger but heavier and more expensive, but bracing would need to curve underneath to allow for some sag on the webbing - adds weight and complexity. Camp bed legs in the middle act to both hold the bed up and keep the sides apart.

I know how much more expensive things are in Europe - building my camper in Spain - so definitely think it through carefully before spending the money

The idea is to build out a super lightweight modular frame that we can put a single or double mattress on. Depending on how many of us are in the truck at a time. The webbing idea was as a lightweight brace - if fully tensioned up. But the considerations around bending the frame are entirely valid. I’d love to be able to build something telescoping, but to your point, I’d need to use heavyweight aluminium to combat the force, which would entirely eliminate the weight benefit of such modularity.

Wondering if I just need to build two separate bed frames that I can bolt together for when there’s two of us. It’s not the most elegant solution, but I don’t want to be engineering just for the sake of it.

uncompromise

Adventurer
I would also suggest a folding sip platform
Sglass over foam layed up
Kevin
This is how my platform will work in my poptoppers View attachment 603757

This! This is the general idea for what I want to do in the Pajero. But instead of a trifold running the length of it, I was thinking to do a bi-fold running the width. Is this something you designed? If not, can you point me to the website you found it on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
This! This is the general idea for what I want to do in the Pajero. But instead of a trifold running the length of it, I was thinking to do a bi-fold running the width. Is this something you designed? If not, can you point me to the website you found it on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Similar idea but I found the gif online. Mine will be on slide rails on alum angle with cylinders. If just doing a bifold should be very simple. The pad needs to be thin so it can fold easier
Kevin

Last edited:

uncompromise

Adventurer
Similar idea but I found the gif online. Mine will be on slide rails on alum angle with cylinders. If just doing a bifold should be very simple. The pad needs to be thin so it can fold easier
Kevin
Not having much experience with fiberglass — other than patching an old catamaran a few years back — I’m curious about the sglass sheets. Is this a product that you can buy ready to use? Or do you need to buy the fabric and then layer it yourself? I’ve been digging around online, but only finding sglass for sale in rolls. Looks like the perfect material.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Not having much experience with fiberglass — other than patching an old catamaran a few years back — I’m curious about the sglass sheets. Is this a product that you can buy ready to use? Or do you need to buy the fabric and then layer it yourself? I’ve been digging around online, but only finding sglass for sale in rolls. Looks like the perfect material.
I have only seen sglass in rolls for wet layup
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears