Mombasa RTT Rainfly mod?

DavidG

Adventurer
I've been tinkering with a new rainfly solution for my older Mombasa RTT and came up with this...

IMG_8135_small.jpg

I'm using some stand-in material (a cheap 12x12 canopy found on clearance) until I can figure out a permanent solution. I know I need to make the rainfly taut, but the pic gets the general point across.

I cobbled together some steel components and had a local guy weld the corner brackets. I'm using a set of modded 4ft long fiberglass chimney sweep extensions I found at Lowes. The poles slide into the brackets and are secured with hair pin cotters.

Definitely low buck :)

Anyone else come up with an effective solution to replace the small factory rainfly?

Last edited:

Paul R

Adventurer
Your picture isn't working, but I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do about a better fly for a while but haven't come up with anything yet. I'm definately interested in what others have done. :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looks like a major upgrade, having spent a dozen nights in an early Mombasa, the rainfly was the first thing I would have upgraded if I kept the tent. Looks great! :cool:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I love the idea, our Mombassa has that crappy rain fly as well. Although it did keep us dry. I bought some sunbrella fabric I got cheap on Ebay for this kind of mod.

How about a few detail shots of the brackets you made.

Also, maybe cutting the tarp down a bit will help you get everything taught. Any boat canvas shop could make quick work of it for sure.

One more question, did you cut down your ladder at all, I have the upgraded ladder as well and it hangs off the edge when I have it all buttoned up, does yours?

Drew

DavidG

Adventurer
'Pagoda RTT', Love it!

Rezarf, I see you have been over to Ih8mud for the rainfly project!

For those unfamiliar with a great Mombasa RTT rainfly project, take a look here:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-gear-recovery/163643-mombasa-rain-fly-project.html

I wish I could craft something that nice! The original rainfly is passable as long as you have nothing more than a light drizzle. But like most of you, why leave passable alone when you can spend a bunch of money and time making improvements :)

Yes, I did cut the ladder down. Otherwise it just wasn't going to come close to fitting under the cover. IIRC, I took approx. 3 inches off.

I also stripped the elastic out of the cover and replaced it with an overly built coated cable and elastic bungee design.

Oh, and you can remove the painted Car Top Tent logo from the cover using Goof Off. Make sure you use the Goof Off brand, as others did not work for me...and thoroughly wash/rinse it afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger