Montero 4x4 schooling needed

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Hey there,
Looking for schooling on Montero 4x4 models.
Coming from a toyota background but I'm thinking the montero will deliver as much as my old 4runner for less of the price.
Not counting on modifying much. Maybe a slight lift but I'll probably just run 32"-ish tires.
Main uses would be a daily driver with the occasional family camping trips.

What years should I be looking at and what should I stay away from?
I will be googling the various models later but wanted to see if I could get some info or links from the seasoned Montero owners on expo.
THANKS

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
What year and price range are you thinking about (vehicle age)? Coming from a yota you should be very impressed with it's build quality and offroad performance. I prefer the later Gen 2 Monteros (referred to as a Gen 2.5) for reasons like no body cladding, more refined interior, a little more forgiving on maintenance intervals, fit bigger tires stock and newer helps.

1994-1996 SR 215hp DOHC engine, 100mm birfields (Landcruiser 100 series is 89mm) 4.63 diff gears and rear air locker 31 spline shafts
1997-2000 200hp SOHC engine, 95mm birfields, 4.27 diffs and rear locker *except 2000

All parts are interchangeable between the trucks so if you find a nice one minus a locker it costs on average $200 to put one in your truck and 4.63 diff gears are readily available and inexpensive. 4.90 diff gears are also pretty common and not that expensive either.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
^^^What Toasty said for the Gen 2-2.5 years.

Gen 3 models are also a good option for daily driving and taking passengers along on trips. Another member asked me about using one for towing, and I sent him this information about the Gen 3s. I will also say that I have used both versions of the Gen 3 to tow a racecar with an open trailer and all equipment.

"They both have their positive and negative points.

XLS
4-speed auto with 4.9 gears gets worse fuel mileage, also has no overdrive usually in 3rd gear to tow up hills on highway
Manual shifted transfer case only has 2H, 4H, and 4L
Cloth seats
Basic stereo with 4 speakers
LSD was an option, but not able to confirm without looking underneath for label

Limited and 03+
5-speed with 4.3 gears (4.9 diffs are a direct swap) gets better mileage, no overdrive but 5th gear is 1:1
Electronic shift transfer case has 2H, 4H (AWD), 4HLc, 4LLc
Leather power seats
Inifinity stereo system with 6 speakers + sub (usually has blow subwoofer in rear, fixed for $50 and 3 hours)
Rear heat and A/C which runs on its own system and covers all 3 rows

I still recommend waiting for an 03+ with traction control to be in your price range. The 3.8L engine is the improved 3.5L and the traction control is the best offroad aid that I have used. The 3.5L in my XLS always had a valve cover seep and other odd gremlins that I either fixed or ignored (O2 sensor, leaking coolant pipe, and vacuum line issues). The 3.8L engine is not as prone to the same issues"

Link to buying guide that was made recently.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157835-Montero-Buyers-Guide?p=2081145#post2081145

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
What year and price range are you thinking about (vehicle age)? Coming from a yota you should be very impressed with it's build quality and offroad performance. I prefer the later Gen 2 Monteros (referred to as a Gen 2.5) for reasons like no body cladding, more refined interior, a little more forgiving on maintenance intervals, fit bigger tires stock and newer helps.

1994-1996 SR 215hp DOHC engine, 100mm birfields (Landcruiser 100 series is 89mm) 4.63 diff gears and rear air locker 31 spline shafts
1997-2000 200hp SOHC engine, 95mm birfields, 4.27 diffs and rear locker *except 2000

All parts are interchangeable between the trucks so if you find a nice one minus a locker it costs on average $200 to put one in your truck and 4.63 diff gears are readily available and inexpensive. 4.90 diff gears are also pretty common and not that expensive either.

100 series doesn't have birfields ;)

Toasty

toylandcruiser, it does on the J105 which is a 100 series but regardless i was trying to use terminology familiar to Toyota guys. Let me correct that, the 100 series and the Montero use a pair of boot sealed NTN constant velocity joints per side and the 80 Series uses a single NTN Birfield licensed constant velocity joint per side. But you are correct NTN doesn't lable them "BIRFIELD" and the method of sealing the joint is different. The point i am trying to illustrate is Mitsubishi IFS > Toyota IFS and the fact that Toyota copied Mitsubishi's IFS (as did nearly the every 4WD make) should tell you that it is a very good design.

JasonRedwood, If you are considering a Gen 3 Montero it is a very very different vehicle. It does not handle like a normal SUV but it is extremely capable offroad and i wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if you find one in nice condition.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
toylandcruiser, it does on the J105 which is a 100 series but regardless i was trying to use terminology familiar to Toyota guys. Let me correct that, the 100 series and the Montero use a pair of boot sealed NTN constant velocity joints per side and the 80 Series uses a single NTN Birfield licensed constant velocity joint per side. But you are correct NTN doesn't lable them "BIRFIELD" and the method of sealing the joint is different. The point i am trying to illustrate is Mitsubishi IFS > Toyota IFS and the fact that Toyota copied Mitsubishi's IFS (as did nearly the every 4WD make) should tell you that it is a very good design.

JasonRedwood, If you are considering a Gen 3 Montero it is a very very different vehicle. It does not handle like a normal SUV but it is extremely capable offroad and i wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if you find one in nice condition.

So what you're saying is, a cv from a montero is 4" in diameter? As 100mm is 3.9ish inches. Not sure how to figure Toyota copied Mitsubishi. When Nissan made ifs in the 70s.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Thanks for the info and links. My budget will be between $2500 and $4500.
I got some reading to do, the model and years getting a lil confusing compared to when I bought my 3rd gen 4runner. ;)
Im not a fan of aesthetics on the 3rd gen Monteros with the bulbous body. It seems like body differs in the 3rd get though, so yeah I got reading to do .

loremordred

Observer
I'd say 98-99 gen 2.5, or gen 3 (03+).

Gen 2.5 have a nice solid feel to them, good reliable and sturdy platform. Never let me down.
Note :more aftermarket support for gen 2 and 2.5 than gen 3 in the states.

I have owned both a 98 gen 2.5 and now a 2004 Gen 3. The 5 speed and 3.8l make a big difference and you can find some low mileage options.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Toasty

So what you're saying is, a cv from a montero is 4" in diameter? As 100mm is 3.9ish inches. Not sure how to figure Toyota copied Mitsubishi. When Nissan made ifs in the 70s.

Yes. Also Korean war era Jeeps (Ford) had fully independent suspension, The Kaiser Wagoneer had IFS in the 60's and Ford also had their TTB at some point in the late 70's early 80's. The problem was those designs didn't perform so great, the technology that Mitsubishi debuted on their Montero and L200 set the standard for 4WD IFS. They proved it repeatedly in the offroad racing circuits and with it's onroad drivability the other car companies took notice. If you get a chance to check out some of the older IFS setups, they are quite interesting especially the Pinzgauer which is hella awesome and from the 1970's. I can't really to describe it though.
|
|
|

Back on topic, sounds like you're looking for a Gen 2 then. What is your mechanical ability? Most Montero's haven't been taken care of so unless you find a nice well maintained truck expect to get it caught up on maintenance right away (figure this into your budget). You can run the tires you want stock so you can get the better tires and lift it when budget allows. If you can find a good runner that maybe needs valve stem seals you could get a good deal and have a bunch left over to know exactly what has been done maintenance wise because you will have done it yourself. Otherwise you'll be near the top of your budget for a truck that has been maintained, the prices of these trucks is on the rise due to the publicity they've been getting in the offroad publications. Get one before they get expensive!

Last edited:

Toasty

The Gen 2 can also use Jeep Transfer cases with some modifications (mostly bolt on) so that allows you access to some sweet gearing options if you ever decide to get nutty.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
As a new Gen 3 owner, the honeymoon is still on but,

I drove mine over the Mountain and back on a trip today, and the 5-speed with sportronic and 4.30 gears I think is perfect for keeping near the torque peak ~ 3,500 rpms, when I'm towing my trailer. Won't win races, but I think it would happily run all day near that range, and the gear ratios are close enough that you can shift up/down on the hills to stay on target, engine braking is decent as well. Keep in mind, that I usually tow with my 1/2 ton van 3 speed, 3.55 gears, and it seems I'm never in the gear I need, and the gaps are huge, not so with the Montero.

The independent suspension might not win the articulation contest, but I'm not sure there is any vehicle close to this in terms of properly handling the washboard, pothole, forest service roads, as well as provide great comfort as a daily driver. In short, I'm kicking myself for missing several years of Montero enjoyment, I'm impressed enough that I think everybody should own one, but if that were the case, I couldn't play the mental game of "I've got that one covered" or "I'm your huckleberry, pick me" with all the other 4WD/AWD SUV brands on the road, and for a fraction of the cost.

I think your first post, says it, the answer is easily "Montero" to all your questions, depending on your mechanical skills, earlier models, and Gen 3 can meet your budget with careful, patient shopping.

Michael Brown "has got it down" in terms of the greatest hits of Gen 3s. We really need a sticky just for that.

I have owned many 4x4s over the years which include Monteros, a Gwagen, Land Cruisers, Suburbans and my current ride, an old 1989 Isuzu Trooper. My 2000 Montero was the most reliable and trouble free vehicle of the bunch. Come to think of it I never had to make a repair to my 1991 either. Every other SUV I have owned I have had a couple of repairs made. Also don't sell your self short and get a Montero Sport. Get a real 7 passenger Montero. They are completely different animals.

Fasteddy

I have owned half a dozen gen1's, and a 95sr, plus an 85 4wd d50. All well engineered, pretty easy to fix, modern systems for date produced. I'm currently sorting out a gen1 4runner 3.0 for a friend. Not impressed. FI system is just like the first Bosch electronic efi, the L jectronic, with a flapper valve mass air sensor, that I first owned in a 75 Opel Sportwagen. Idle control by vac solenoid valves and dashpots. The 95sr was a tad harder to work on with the dohc, but great power. Towed a heavy 19' Cobalt boat, no sweat, NE GA mountains. Prefer gen1 late, 3.0 or convert to 2.4 w/ dohc and turbo conversion. Have an 89 swb undergoing this conversion now, slowly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman