Montero Alarm system removal, Gen 2.5

jlocster

Explorer
Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Alarm System Removal

Just adding to the knowledge base.
Here's how I removed the alarm system on my 2000 Mitsubishi Montero, Gen 2.5. It had a mind of it's own and I was afraid it would leave me stranded. FYI, this will also remove key-less entry functionality.

Remove lower dash panel (red arrows).
Remove lower steering column trim (green arrows).
IMG_6674.JPG

This is what you get.
IMG_6675.JPG

Motion sensor is attached to steering column. Remove it.
IMG_6676.JPG

Alarm system is mounted behind speaker housing (red arrow).
Remove alarm system mount (green arrows).
Alarm system connectors (yellow oval).
Alarm system to vehicle wiring harness connector (blue circle).
Wires leading to red LED/dash button (purple arrow).
IMG_6678.JPG

Alarm system removed.
Starter interrupt wires (blue arrow). Don't forget about them.
Wires to red LED/dash button (red arrow). These can be cut.
IMG_6679.JPG

Close up.
IMG_6680.JPG

Reverse.
IMG_6681.JPG

Vehicle won't start with alarm system to vehicle wiring harness connector plugged in (red arrow) and connectors removed from alarm system.
IMG_6683.JPG

Remember these? They are the starter interrupt wires.
IMG_6686.JPG

Vehicle starts with wires joined.
IMG_6688.JPG

Continued...

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Alarm System Removal con't.

Pulled out all other wires from alarm system to vehicle wiring harness connector.
Connected starter interrupt wires with a butt connector.
FYI, this would be an ideal place to wire in a kill switch.
IMG_6690.JPG

Taped wires down so they won't be floppy.
IMG_6692.JPG

That's it. No more alarm.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This was a great help. My alarm was giving my truck a partial lobotomy. I am definitely going to remove it. Thanks a lot for this post. There are rumors of similar posts on 4wire, but I spent hours and hours reading nothing about it.

Evo666

Observer
Does anyone know why it acts up? I hate it when I step out to pump gas without arming alarm and it goes off.

badikwilles

Badik Willes
Here's how I removed the alarm system on my 2000 Gen 2.5. It had a mind of it's own and I was afraid it would leave me stranded. FYI, this will also remove keyless entry functionality.

Remove lower dash panel (red arrows).
Remove lower steering column trim (green arrows).
View attachment 167380

This is what you get.
View attachment 167381

Motion sensor is attached to steering column.
View attachment 167382

Alarm system is mounted behind speaker housing (red arrow).
Remove alarm system mount (green arrows).
Alarm system connectors (yellow oval).
Alarm system to vehicle wiring harnes connector (blue circle).
Wires leading to red LED/dash button (purple arrow).
View attachment 167383

Alarm system removed.
Starter interrupt wires (blue arrow). Don't forget about them.
Wires to red LED/dash button (red arrow). These can be cut.
View attachment 167384

Close up.
View attachment 167385

Reverse.
View attachment 167386

Vehicle won't start with alarm system to vehicle wiring harness connector plugged in (red arrow) and connectors removed from alarm system.
View attachment 167387

Remember these? They are the starter interrupt wires.
View attachment 167388

View attachment 167389

Continued...

Great information!!
It would definitely help me out for this for removing my all of my hated alarm's !! :) :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here's how I removed the alarm system on my 2000 Gen 2.5.
View attachment 167389

The Montero died on my wife the other day. She had to be towed home. Today I made an attempt to see what was up and what needed fixing. Mentally, I had it sorted out to be something electrical that was cutting out the starter. I thought maybe a brake switch, or the alarm. Well, in the past, the car would start normally without putting my foot on the brake, so that seemed to rule out a brake switch. I popped the hood to see what I could hear, and I pulled off the circuit breaker cover, and noticed a 20amp blade fuse laying in the bottom of the tray, and a fresh clean socket for it. I inserted the yellow 20amp fuse and the car alarm horn started blaring. Aha! The car is in alarm mode and blocking the ignition for some reason. I pulled fuse back out so I wouldn't go deaf.

So I attempt to disassemble the front dash to follow JLocsters steps. Problem 1. I stripped one of those bloody soft brass screws holding the fuel door release cable in place. This meant I couldn't get the panel off. I sent a text to TyTy who lives near by, and asked him what to do, as he is a Montero expert and has mechanical skills and knowhow, unlike me. He was nearby running errands with his family, so he dropped by and gave me this brilliant advice: Put the key in the ignition then put the fuse back in. Sure enough, it started right up. Doh!

I am still leary of this alarm system. It's ruined my day twice now, so I ask him about the screw. He shows me how to drill it out, and dash comes apart. We solder the starter disconnect wires together as shown in the photo above. Shrink wrap it all nice and tidy, and he takes off to complete his errands.

On my own and unsupervised, I attempt to put the dash back together. I am the worlds worst mechanic! I somehow manage to shear off a plastic tab from something, no idea what, but it's laying on the carpet now. Then I went tighten up those 12mm bolts at the top of the lower dash, and break the bolt! Now I can't attach the upper dash. So frustrating! So I tekscrew it together through a metal bracket that's there and hope for the best.

Now I am trying to get the screws back into the housing to hold the fuel lid release and hood release in place, and there is nothing to screw into! Whatever was the backing plate is no longer there. I cannot tighten up the release catches, so now I can't put gas in my car. Brilliant. Man do I hate it when things don't go back together! And for me, that is Every Single Project I Start!

wow! I am so glad that is all it was!! I thought your wife was driving and the engine shut off on her and wouldn't start back up. That could have been expensive!! Glad it was easy! Now onto the fan install!!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm glad too, but I'm not tackling the fan today. With how my skills are running today, I'd end up breaking an engine mount or something

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I recently removed the alarm system using those directions. I cant believe that I havent done that before. No weird starting issues with my car any more. NO more jumping door locks. Less electrons to worry about, pheeww..
Those brass screws are a total PITA, I forgot how many I replaced already. As far as the bolts on top of the lower dash, a solution is to drill a hole next to where it bolts up and use wide self tapping screws, it will hold up pretty well.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Those brass screws are a total PITA, I forgot how many I replaced already. As far as the bolts on top of the lower dash, a solution is to drill a hole next to where it bolts up and use wide self tapping screws, it will hold up pretty well.

Yes, I drilled in my own screws, but can't figure out what the fuel and hood release latches screw into. The holes all line up but there's nothing for the screws to bite into

jlocster

Explorer
nwoods, sorry it didn't go very smoothly...well, at least you won't have any more no-starts due to the alarm. I remember the hood and gas filler door releases being tricky to get aligned and reconnected properly. I'll have a look under the dash tomorrow to see if I can come up with some pointers. Hopefully between Eurosonic and myself you'll be able to get things back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior