Montero Aussi/Lokka (Automatic) Lockers Gen 1(2,3 as well)

ultrakill

Adventurer
Hello all,

I have a Gen1 Montero (1990 RS, with LSD/Bouncy seat, manual hubs). I do moderate offroading, and have definitely found myself in situations where any kind of locker would really make life a lot easier.

I recently discovered a thread about Aussie Automatic Lockers on 4x4 Wire. There is a lot of helpful information on there, and even though the Aussie Site has the years/application wrong, people have installed on all Montero years.

I would like to get feedback from anyone on this site that may have them as well. Most of the posts on 4x4Wire are kinda older, I'm wondering if people have a long term test/opinion about how they have held up.

I definitely need some kind of locker, and this seems the best way to go since i'm either in 2-Hi or 4-Lo and price is definitely a factor.

Thanks for the insight.

Jonny

jhill15

Explorer
I dont personally know of anyone who has put a lokka in a montero but they became very popular in Xterras within the last year. I know a few people who put them in and they love em and a lot of the people on clubxterra and xterranation and puttin them in as well. Some did a diff drop when installing and others did not but both ways seemed to perform very well. Most people complained about a clicking sound when turning but said that it was normal. I would love to have one, as the guys that I talk to can conquer places now that before the lokka wouldve needed pulled out. Deffintely worth the money if you can install it yourself...if not then look at arbs. As the lokka itself is under $450 even after the hidden import tax that you will receive about a month after you get your lokka "around $50" you will probably sink $1k in getting it installed. As the lokka is amazing and has a tremendous effect on your offroading ability your diff is always locked, unless going around a turn. None the less its an awesome product and I would love to have it

Hope any of this helps.

2003 montero ltd

ultrakill

Adventurer
I dont personally know of anyone who has put a lokka in a montero but they became very popular in Xterras within the last year. I know a few people who put them in and they love em and a lot of the people on clubxterra and xterranation and puttin them in as well. Some did a diff drop when installing and others did not but both ways seemed to perform very well. Most people complained about a clicking sound when turning but said that it was normal. I would love to have one, as the guys that I talk to can conquer places now that before the lokka wouldve needed pulled out. Deffintely worth the money if you can install it yourself...if not then look at arbs. As the lokka itself is under $450 even after the hidden import tax that you will receive about a month after you get your lokka "around $50" you will probably sink $1k in getting it installed. As the lokka is amazing and has a tremendous effect on your offroading ability your diff is always locked, unless going around a turn. None the less its an awesome product and I would love to have it

Hope any of this helps.

2003 montero ltd

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty stoked since I discovered these kinds of lockers.

My wife would probably think I'm insane if I was gonna drop another $3k in our old Montero for ARB air lockers, so $300 (for the Aussie ones) is a much easier bite to swallow.

jhill15

Explorer
I know the feeling lol my wife loves the montero...the way its sits today lol stock and unmodified. ..and all I can think about is what to mod on it lol thats why she gets the brand new car and I get the montero

2003 montero ltd

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've been running a full Detroit locker for 8 years or so and i like it, it functions the same as the Lokka but quieter and smoother from what i hear. SO i can't comment on noise but it works great and it's not too bad turning offroad (sometimes) if you're in a bind it can get really hard to turn but it's worth it and awesome.

viducce

Observer
I've been running a full Detroit locker for 8 years or so and i like it, it functions the same as the Lokka but quieter and smoother from what i hear. SO i can't comment on noise but it works great and it's not too bad turning offroad (sometimes) if you're in a bind it can get really hard to turn but it's worth it and awesome.

In the front?

I have been searching for a front locker for ages, LOKKA told me that they are planning to release one for the 3000 V6 24V with AT which is the one I've got.
But so far nothing has come out yet.

Cheers,
Chris in Taiwan

Toasty

Yes in the front and if you have the 8" front diff (which you should but i can't be 100% since you're truck is not a USDM) you can buy the Aussie locker and slap that in.

viducce

Observer
Yes in the front and if you have the 8" front diff (which you should but i can't be 100% since you're truck is not a USDM) you can buy the Aussie locker and slap that in.

Thanks, just don't quite know what USDM means....

This out of the Aussie Locker site:

Quick Overview
Montero/Pajero Vehicle Listing
All V6 ( 3.0Li and 3.5LI) Manual Transmission <---------- That's the one, but I got V6 3.0Li with Automatic transmission
All V6 (3.5LI) Manual or Automatic

Last edited:

ultrakill

Adventurer
Thanks, just don't quite know what USDM means....

This out of the Aussie Locker site:

Quick Overview
Montero/Pajero Vehicle Listing
All V6 ( 3.0Li and 3.5LI) Manual Transmission <---------- That's the one, but I got V6 3.0Li with Automatic transmission
All V6 (3.5LI) Manual or Automatic

In short, the Aussie locker WILL work in your Montero, it's the same one I have.

In this forum, (4x4wire), multiple people stated that they installed on either gen 1 or 2 3.0L V6 (automatic too).

They only carry a front locker thought. I will be installing this locker when I upgrade to 33s in about 6 months or a year.

Does anyone know and can link to a site that carries a rear locker (automatic or not)? Anything for a Gen 1 that doesn't require a Gen 2.5 axle swap?

Toasty

Sorry United States Domestic Market and i guess that's the wrong term. But what i mean is that your truck may have different things than ours do in the States.

Toasty

Does anyone know and can link to a site that carries a rear locker (automatic or not)? Anything for a Gen 1 that doesn't require a Gen 2.5 axle swap?

You can swap in the Montero Sport locking axle, i have one in my Gen 1 (leaf springs). If you have a Gen 1 V6 you can just use the Early Gen 2 rear axle or the mid 90's Gen 2 SR as long as you get the axle with gears to mach whatever you have in your Gen1. Bolt on stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12