Montero Gen 2/2.5 Alternator - Compatibility For Amp Upgrade ?

shermanhelmsley

It looks like the alternator on my '95 LS went kaput last night. When sitting at a red light, the truck abruptly shut off, and wouldn't crank over whatsoever, just click. Over the next half hour the battery completely drained.

While sitting idle an hour before, the battery light had come on, but would shut off once I accelerated. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I guess that was my warning sign. The tow that brought me home gave me a jump, and the truck would run while the booster pack was attached, but when disconnected she immediately shut down.

I'd like to replace the 85amp alternator with something a bit more powerful, and see that the 2.5 models all come with a 100amp alternator. All these 3.5 models are SOHC like my 3.0. Does anyone know if this could be a direct bolt in swap?

I've been searching off and on throughout the day, and have read various stories about owners upgrading to 110a alternators from 3000GT's, Diamante's etc. with slight modifications to the pulley's, but not much on upgrading from a newer model Montero. Any help would be appreciated. This is my DD, and needs to be fixed ASAP! Autozone seems to be the quickest option with their Duralast line...Having the truck off the road for an extra week opens me up to Rockauto, and to riding the subway to and from work :/ . Both options are about the same price.

At least I have off for the weekend! Thanks, and Happy New Year

Last edited:

brad2274

Adventurer
i just posted about this earlier in the month,
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/151768-Alternator-upgrade-thoughts
i have the same model and year, quickest option is the 110 amp and can be had from autozone with a warranty, but high output ones on ebay are out there as well, made specific for montero(although most any 6g72 alternator will work).

look at your valve covers and cam seal area, make sure theres no oil dripping on the alternator before you replace it

shermanhelmsley

Thanks for the reply Brad. I did come by your thread in my searching this morning, which inspired me to upgrade...but it doesn't confirm if that is a direct swap. I'm concerned with a differing size in alternator, and the pulley position. Also, which year 3000GT were you referring to?

I'll put the battery on a charger tomorrow and check if it holds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger