Montero gen3 heating problem.

citysurf

Observer
Hi guys, I have a 2001 montero xls, I have some heating issues, it's warm but not hot like it was, granted New England this year it's been freezing, over the past year, I replaced the water pump, cooling pipes, radiator and about 3 thermostats, I mess up my timing and had to have my heads rebuild, I had them ported and polished to gain some performance, any ways, it was still showing that it was overheating and I took it to the dealer and they told me the gauge was broken, and that the vehicle is not overheating, now I just replaced another thermostat to see if that would fix the heating issue and again, warm but not hot, any ideas?
Thanks
Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Just a guess but if the engine is at operating temp and your heating is still inadequate, it's possible it's either so cold that it simply can't keep up (unlikely) or you have a plugged heater core. A plugged core is not a common occurrence from my experience on the forums but I'm sure it can happen depending on how well the vehicle has been taken care of over the years. If the cooling system was not flushed regularly then calcified mineral particles could have clogged up your heater core....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yea the one they sell there it's suppose to be oem

Yes, if it doesn't say Mitsubishi on it (especially if the name on it is an American manufacturer), it's not OEM. Also the term OEM is frequently used by resellers to mean OEM equivalent or OEM replacement part which is again, not the same as an OEM part.

That said, it's possible that the OEM part was made by an OEM manufacturer who isn't Mitsubishi. In that case it would be another Japanese company but it will definitely not be an American one.

Last but not least, having said all that, I would not be surprised if that part you've received from them is an actual OEM part. For example, the ignition switch for my 96 is no longer sold by Mitsubishi, however the OEM part is being sold by Advanced Auto under another 3rd party name who purchased some of the remaining mitsu stock and re-boxed it for resale. When I opened the box (beck arnley IIRC) it contained a Mitsu switch that was still in the original mitsu packaging with mitsu label & part number on it.

HTH.

Last edited:

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
If your engine reaches operating temp and stays there, there's nothing wrong with your thermostat. I use a stant thermostat and a dayco water pump without any issues.

You either have a restriction in your heater core/hoses or a failing heater control valve/servo. Unfortunately, you have to start ripping **** apart again. Sorry :(

Last edited:

citysurf

Observer
Now my radiator cap was leaking, so I change it, now both radiator hoses feel soft. ****** is going on, please help

citysurf

Observer
The machine shop that did the work, are well known for quality work, Reid's performance, after I had them done I had a few friends look at the heads, and they were better than new i was told, I'll have to look into the coolant, is there a tool to find gas in the coolant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears