Montero help for a newbie!!

monkey620

Hello All,

So I am new to the Monty world, but excited to have entered into it with a 1998 gen 2.5 (from what I've read). It has the 3.5L V6 and found one with the "cold weather package" that has the factory locker. So I'm excited to have a nice start, but would love to get some input from those more experienced than I. I got this one at a decent price and am looking forward to starting in on a budget build aimed at some camping and overland type adventures as well as a daily driver when needed. So here are my questions based on my observations so far:

1. I suspect quite a bit of oil burning. I can smell it when I get out after parking and my wife mentioned some blue smoke when she followed me home. It has 160K and I know these motors are pretty notorious for burning oil as they age. What should/can I do about this? Or what's the best short term treatment and then long term fix?

2. It drives own the road decent, but it is pretty squishy and bumps are pretty stiff as well as some slight vibration/wiggle at freeway speeds. Just wondered what my most likely culprits are? I am assuming it needs new shocks, but am sure that's not it. Maybe ball joints? torsion bars? springs? not sure what else???

3. What the easiest most cost effective way to get a couple inches of lift? I know I can crank on the torsion bars a little but I think that will only level it out at this point. I'd like to put 33's on it I think. I've read OME springs and torsion in the front but am not sure where to get OME stuff these days. I've also heard I could just use spring spacers in the back and torsion on the front

4. When/if I do lift it a couple inches, will I need to lengthen brake lines on do something about drive shaft angles or bump stops etc.?

5. I was also thinking of doing those 33's on the stock rims and so it would be 33x10.5x15. Will it get really tippy with a narrow and tall stance like that? I know these are a little tippy to begin with simply because of the design

6. I'm not sure what to make of the 4WD indicator lights on the dash. . . they seem to be a little jittery. I obviously don't have any experience with this 4WD system, but it seems really well thought out and very capable. I'm just not sure what lights are supposed to be on when and what it means if they aren't. Sometimes the green wheels light up and sometimes it's just the flashing orange rear diff light in 2WD. I've also not ever had a 4LOW light come on the dash (is there one?) Seems like it would be pretty cool if it all worked and I knew what to make of it as there are a lot of indicator options :)

7. Usually as I start after starting it I hear what I think is the compressor for the locker pop on really quick for a few seconds and then I don't hear it again. Is that normal? maybe it's just keeping pressure in the system?

8. I'm going to do a full tune up - any suggestions on spark plugs, wires etc.? Combos that work best with the 3.5L for power, fuel economy etc.

Any other suggestions would be absolutely welcomed - trying to put together my priority list and dream list of what aftermarket items and upgrades should come first - my goal is a capable camping and off-road adventuring rig that can still do 70-75 on the freeway as I'd like to take it to Colorado (from AZ) and maybe some Utah trips etc.

Thank you so much for indulging me in this very long introduction and plea for help from those who have gone before me!! Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Matt

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As being new to the gen 2.5 Montero as well I can honestly say that every question you posed has been asked and answered before, in the last 3 months I have done close to 200 hours of reading and learned a lot without even having to ask, mostly by simply utilizing the search feature on here and on google.

JamesW

Adventurer
I'm not sure about your oil burning question because I know nothing of petrol engines.

The wobble could be anything from wheel balance,to the pitman arm,give the Ball joints a good greasing and the pitman arm. Check the bushes for wear in the wishbone and the bottom of the shock absorber. However it could be something as simple as the wheel nuts being loose

OME seems popular here for lifting the truck,I think Ironman do a spring kit too. If you want to do a budget lift the coils from a nissan patrol Y60 fit and give a lift at the rear,downside being that they are harder so won't compress as easily,and it sits very high at the back from them,so it looks like a dragster

You shouldn't need to lengthen the brake lines,breathers and locker air supply unless you go for shocks that are longer than +2,just be careful you don't stretch them when you are fitting the springs

There is no 4 lo light on the dash,the lights are the same in 4lo as that are in 4HLc,all 4 wheel lights,and the orange centre diff light. The bulbs could be blown though,

This could be related to the locker light coming on,maybe take the switch out and give it a clean,it could be trying to engage the locker,but i'm sure the locker unlocks it's self at 10mph,if it is locked while you are driving you will know about it anyway

monkey620

As being new to the gen 2.5 Montero as well I can honestly say that every question you posed has been asked and answered before, in the last 3 months I have done close to 200 hours of reading and learned a lot without even having to ask, mostly by simply utilizing the search feature on here and on google.

Thanks for the reply . . . So with all your newly gained knowledge you couldn't take a crack at at least a couple of my questions to help a brother out?? :sombrero:

jlocster

Explorer
1. Valve stem seals are leaking. Common issue. The fix is labor intensive. Some just drive with leaking seals.
2. Start with shocks. KYB Gas-a-Just or MonoMax.
3. Front, torsion bar crank. Rear OME springs or Toyota Sequoia spring spacers. Body lift is available.
4. No.
5. Plenty run 33s no prob. Vehicle is narrow, inherently tippy.
6. Rear wheel indicators should be lit in 2wd, front/rear wheel indicators lit in 4wd, center indicator lit in 4HLc and 4LLc, rear locker indicator lit when rear locker is on.
7. I don't have a locker so I can't comment on normal.
8. NGK or Denso. Read the sticky for GEN 2.5 parts here

Last edited:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
You can run wider tires if you want...myself and plenty of others run 12.5's on the stock wheels.

As for the tippiness, I widened my track by 2" with nice 1" hubcentric CNC spacers. They were only about $120 for the set, shipped. Helps offset the lift.

Ironman makes torsion bars and rear springs, they may be a little more affordable than OME but I'm not sure. I think I paid $430 or so shipped for the Ironman kit (torsions and springs).

off-roader

Expedition Leader
In addition to what's been said...

3. Body lift and coil spring spacers for the rear/torsion bar crank for front are similarly priced if you do the labor yourself.

7. Do you mean when you've switched the locker on and 4L and take off? If so, the compressor should turn on as it locks the diff locker then shut off. In my experience there's isn't an audible pop when the locker engages but that's with a rig on 35" MT's so it's far from quiet. Still, I imagine if it's loud enough I'd hear it. The compressor may kick on occasionally to keep the locker engaged. In my rig that might be happening but in reality I don't recall hearing it kick-on ever once the locker is engaged. That said, I may just be focused on the drive versus listening for the compressor.

8. For my mid 90's 3.5L DOHC engine, I use the longest lasting iridium plugs I can find since its such a pain to replace them (have to remove the intake plenum) not sure about the later SOHC variety.

Last but not least... My needs and modifications may be different than yours so as for what else I'd recommend read Scott Brady's recent article (http://www.expeditionportal.com/res...ndments-of-modifying-an-overland-vehicle.html)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
1. I suspect quite a bit of oil burning.
>> Seals around Valve covers - Common. Could also be oil cooler pick up lines coming out of the block on the passenger side just aft of the alternator.

2. It drives own the road decent, but it is pretty squishy:
>> There is a link here on ExPo Montero forum for KYB Monomax shocks through an Amazon vendor. All four for under $200. JUMP on that deal.

3. What the easiest most cost effective way to get a couple inches of lift?
>> T-bar crank and rear springs from OME or Ironman. Will cost you about $300

4. When/if I do lift it a couple inches, will I need to lengthen brake lines on do something about drive shaft angles or bump stops etc.?
>> I don't think so.

5. I was also thinking of doing those 33's on the stock rims and so it would be 33x10.5x15. Will it get really tippy with a narrow and tall stance like that?
>> Not too bad. Will depend on the tire tread and sidewall construction. I kept my swaybars on, but some guys don't.

6. I'm not sure what to make of the 4WD indicator lights on the dash...
>>Well known for burning out. Easy fix. This is what they should look like in 4WL with rear locker on:
CA_04021323441064-X3.jpg

7. Usually as I start after starting it I hear what I think is the compressor for the locker pop on really quick for a few seconds and then I don't hear it again. Is that normal? maybe it's just keeping pressure in the system?
>> I don't hear that on mine. The locker only runs at 8psi or something like that.

8. I'm going to do a full tune up - any suggestions on spark plugs, wires etc.? Combos that work best with the 3.5L for power, fuel economy etc.
>> Timing belt, water pump, radiator flush, bearings repacked, change all oils and belts

monkey620

Thank you all so much for the replies!! Tons of great information and can't wait to dig into this project. Couple follow ups . . . of course :elkgrin:

-- The KYB monomax shocks have come up a few times. Was wondering about fitment with a lift. They ones I find all seem to be fit to the stock Monty. Are they adjustable? Would the same ones that fit stock really fit a 1.5" to 2" lift as well?

-- I've seen a couple people are running 33x12.5's on stock rims?? On my 98 I can't tell exactly what width the rim is. They seem over 7" but I've heard they're only 7". Anyway, just wondering if more of you have run the 12.5" width on stock rims? No rubbing? Or do they need offset or wheel spacers to not rub?

-- Ironman vs OME rear coils - they both seem good and reasonably priced - one better than the other or a great deal out there?

-- Thanks a ton for the pic of the 4WD indicator nwoods - mine seems to be real glitchy - the wheels flash sometimes and the rear always has both lit up (never had just the one). Could that be bulbs? Seems like more of a short issue or something?

-- My 3 dash instruments (compass, oil pressure, battery) have some issues -- Does the compass light up? The other 2 do, but the compass is dark. The oil pressure gauge is not working. Can they be individually replaced or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Again, thanks a ton for the input. Forums are cool!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Compass does light up. Simple light bulb replacement. My oil gauge and my battery gauge don't work all that well either. Probably normal.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
-- The KYB monomax shocks have come up a few times. Was wondering about fitment with a lift. They ones I find all seem to be fit to the stock Monty. Are they adjustable? Would the same ones that fit stock really fit a 1.5" to 2" lift as well?
i would imagine they will but if you really want to confirm, just call KYB tech support. They've always been excellent at helping out especially with non-stock implementations such as suspension lifts, etc. they even told me what shocks would work for a lifted gen 1 I used to have.

-- I've seen a couple people are running 33x12.5's on stock rims?? On my 98 I can't tell exactly what width the rim is. They seem over 7" but I've heard they're only 7". Anyway, just wondering if more of you have run the 12.5" width on stock rims? No rubbing? Or do they need offset or wheel spacers to not rub?
They're usually either 6 or 7" wide rims. Most reputable shops won't mount 12.5" wide tires on 7" rims because almost all manufacturers recommend a minimum 8.5" wide rim. That said, you should be able to mount it but you need to be careful that they wear properly/evenly.

-- Thanks a ton for the pic of the 4WD indicator nwoods - mine seems to be real glitchy - the wheels flash sometimes and the rear always has both lit up (never had just the one). Could that be bulbs? Seems like more of a short issue or something?
It should be both lit up. The one is not on because it's probably a burnt out bulb. The rear wheels shouldn't flash. The fronts flashing means there's a problem with the CAD disconnecting the front drivetrain from the transfer case. Could simply mean the system needs to be cycled from 4wd to 2wd back and forth or it could mean more serious issues exist, but usually it just needs to be cycled.

-- My 3 dash instruments (compass, oil pressure, battery) have some issues -- Does the compass light up? The other 2 do, but the compass is dark. The oil pressure gauge is not working. Can they be individually replaced or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Yes the compass lights up. Takes an uncommon bulb available at your dealer or online. Iirc, I posted the part number in my build thread. Alternatively a dealer can tell you the part or you can download and install the Mitsu ASA program (windows app) to look up the correct part number yourself.

jlocster

Explorer
Stock Compass bulb is:
MITSUBISHI MR 283314 Bulb, Compass Gauge (2 needed). They are Type T4 Neo Wedge.

Lots of info on changing bulbs here

I'm running stock KYB Gas A Justs front and back with OME springs in the rear and torsion crank up front...haven't had any problems. They totally transformed the ride having replaced blown out shocks. To do it again though, I'd get the MonoMaxes because they're heavier duty.

Last edited:

monkey620

Compass does light up. Simple light bulb replacement. My oil gauge and my battery gauge don't work all that well either. Probably normal.

I thought it should. I took the cluster out and at least from the back it only has one light bulb that appears to only light up the oil and temp . . . is there another one in there somewhere I am missing, maybe inside the cluster or something?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I just PM'd you on Pirate4x4.com, well welcome to ExPortal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior