Montero Noise.. Possibly Power Steering?

jakestg

Hello,

I have a noise coming from up under the hood and I have some footage of the noise. It is a 1996 Montero LS 3.0L with new serpentine belts. I disconnected the AC belt because the AC compressor went bad or the clutch must have gone bad? I removed that belt because it was making a terrible noise so it was pointess. Anyways, when the truck is cold, that is when it is at its worst. When I turn, the belt will squeak and there is a sound of a bad pulley I am guessing? When I turn all the way it sounds horrible. Once I begin accelerating and reach about 5MPH I hear a loud screech and the noise seizes. It all started when winter began here because it is usually very hot in the panhandle of Florida. The noise sounds like its coming from the main pulley that provides power to the belt, not primarily from the power steering pump or tensioner pulley. The noise began before I even decided to change the belt so I changed the belt figuring it is a possible solution but apparently not. I tried resetting tension on the power steering belt but still no luck. There is no difference in steering, steers great. Fluid is completely topped off and I put a new filter in the power steering fluid container.

Here is some footage:
http://vimeo.com/81958389

http://vimeo.com/81958648

If the videos do not play, they might have to downloaded. Please let me know.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Yes, very similar problem. It sounds like a bad bearing in a tensioner pulley or some thing. But also a loud grinding at full steering lock to either direction. I was thinking it was 2 different problems, but this thread made me wonder if it is the PS pump.

otiswesty

Regular guy
This turned out to be the tensioner pulley bearing as I had initially suspected. PS pump was fine, the slack belt was contributing to the noise as well.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Yeah, my old tensioner pulleys sounded like that before I replaced them on my Raider.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

otiswesty

Regular guy
Sound came back after tensioner pulley replacement, less severe, now I have belts skipping and shredding. Turned out to be a bad harmonic balancer as well. I could see it wobble, like the tensioner pulley was doing before. Defintely 2 problems rearing their head at one time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12