Montero (Overseas) Info Needed

Topher7

Chris
Good morning everyone,

Apologies for this thread not being too "tech" involved. I'm in need of some help from the Mitsubishi community. My wife and I are moving to Managua, Nicaragua for 2 years and will be purchasing a vehicle down there. My expo vehicles have always been Jeeps (just sold my 2004 LJ 2 days ago to prepare for the move) but I am very excited to start off in a new platform. I'm debating between Land Cruisers, Patrols, and Monteros.

The Monteros I've found are all (for the most part) diesels with a manual gearbox. I prefer to have a diesel and stick, but again I just don't know much about the preferred years and what to look for regarding the drivetrain. I have toyed with the idea of buying something old enough, 25 years old, to be able to import after our time down there but I'm not set on that yet. Monteros seem to be MUCH cheaper than both the LC & Patrols I've searched through. Is there any concern I should have for parts availability? There are plenty of dealerships who offer service for Mitsubishi vehicles but should I be concerned regarding a mid 90's Montero for sourcing parts? Opinions are welcome and any guidance as to where I should start researching would be of great assistance.

Thanks!

-Chris

plh

Explorer
didn't realize that Managua, Nicaragua was overseas from USA, are you traveling there by boat?

Topher7

Chris
didn't realize that Managua, Nicaragua was overseas from USA, are you traveling there by boat?

We'll be flying over the Gulf of Mexico, which is just northwest of the Caribbean Sea :). So no, it's not technically overseas BUT I did get the attention of Montero/Pajero gurus like yourself and normal_dave which, really, was the point of the post. Thanks for the help so far.

plh

Explorer
I'll agree with normal_dave - the Gen 3 diesel 3.2l would have a very nice spot in my driveway...

If you are looking for a 25 year rule vehicle, grab an early Gen 2 - 2 door (SWB) with a 4D56t and bring that back. Would be unique in USA.

You won't for the most part find any engine parts for the diesels at your local auto parts stores. I get oil filters for Amazon, many parts are available from Rock Auto. The balance of the Gen 2 is mostly common with the gas vehicle, given that parts are available via the internet and some local auto parts stores, although they would be 25 years old parts were pretty common interchangeable up to 2000 MY.

For sure Monteros are not as common in the USA as a Jeep. Figure 6k to 15K were brought in each year compared to around 100K+ for Jeeps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman