Dolomiti

Adventurer
My Montero has the following specs:

Gen 1
LWB
3.0L
5spd
EMU Suspension

What do you guys think of pulling a 14ft camper trailer with a 350lb tongue/hitch weight and total weight just shy of 3000lbs?

Is that just too big of a trailer?

Here is a pic of it:

502356-1.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
It will pull it, that's not the problem. The problem is can it stop it! What kind of brake set up do you have on the trailer?

Dolomiti

Adventurer
It will pull it, that's not the problem. The problem is can it stop it! What kind of brake set up do you have on the trailer?

Haha, good point. If I did it, I might upgrade my rear axle to a Gen 2 SR (with the big discs), and then ensure that the trailer has electric brakes.

How will it handle pulling the trailer at 55-60 (and slower) for 10-15K miles?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
At a minimum I'd suggest electric brakes and a good brake controller, something like the Tekonsha P3. You may need a weight distribution hitch to stop the rear end from sagging.

If this is a new trailer and you are relying on the sticker for tongue weight and gross weight I'd suggest you have it weighed on the scales to get an accurate measurement. Make sure you take into account the additional weight when all the additional thinks are added like water, propane, food, clothes, etc it all quickly adds up.

You also have to make sure that the Gross Combined Weight GCW http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-understand.shtml of the vehicle and trailer are within the tow vehicles capacity.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Thanks for all the feedback.

I have actually found something that is a little more reasonable. Ok, the colors are ridiculous, but the weight and size seem right. Basically, it just needs to have a shower and toilet. My wife is fine with the RTT and peeing in the bushes for about a week, which won't do for longer trips.

r-pod%20TT.png

Dry Hitch Weight 241 lb. (109 kg )
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 1,937 lb. (879 kg )
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) 3,241 lb. (1,470 kg )
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1,304 lb. (591 kg )
Exterior Length 16 ft. 4 in. (5.0 m)
Exterior Height 8 ft. 7 in. (2.6 m)
Exterior Width 96 in. (2.4 m)
Fresh Water Capacity 36 gal. (136 L)
Gray Water Capacity 35 gal. (132 L)
Black Water Capacity 35 gal. (132 L)
Awning Size 10 ft. (3.0 m)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member