Montero Questions

Allof75

Pathfinder
I'm narrowing down my vehicle search and I've been looking at the Monteros (2nd Gen) a lot lately and I have a few Questions:

1. What models have the factory rear locker? Do all SR's have it standard or is it an option? And was it available in the other trim level?

2. Can you sleep in it, either on a platform or on the floor?

3. What is the difference between the Gen 2 and the Gen 2.5?

Thanks Everyone! :elkgrin:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Gen 2 went from 92-97
Gen 2.5 went from 98-00. Main distinguishable feature are the widened metal fenders in lieu of the the plastic fender flares from the gen 2.
92-93 only had 3.0L engines.
94-96 SR's came stock with the locker, a 3.5L DOHC engine (most powerful of the Gen II Montero's), & 4.6x:1 ring and pinion gears
96 was the first year they offered OBDII and the passenger air bag.
97 may or may not have the SR designation. If it did, then it should also have the Locker.
98-00 are the Gen 2.5 where they dropped the SR designation and you found the locker with the Winter Package including seat heaters.
98-00 dropped the DOHC in favor of the less powerful and less complicated 3.5L SOHC. They also came with widened sttel fenders versus plastic fender flares. However they also went to a 4.2x:1 ring and pinion versus the 4.6x:1 r&p.

Can you sleep in it? Depends on your height. I built a platform into the back of mine that allows me to sleep in it while providing a secure area to store stuff.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Ok then, that sounds great. I think it will make a great expedition rig for me. Is there any way of mounting a winch on the front? Winch Plate behind bumper?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ok then, that sounds great. I think it will make a great expedition rig for me. Is there any way of mounting a winch on the front? Winch Plate behind bumper?

Yes many have mounted a winch between the frame rails using a winch plate that they fabricated to fit there.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Smoke during a cold start & after long idle usually means valve guide seals worn. Can be fixed by replacing them with new ones. Will typically wear out after 50K-100K.

Flashing 4x4 light usually means sticking auto hubs or solenoid in xcase. Caused by old sticky lube. Can usually be cleared up by cycling the system until it unsticks itself.

Inspect the radiator for scaling/calcified deposits on the radiator walls. If excessive either replace the radiator with a good metal unit or have the radiator properly 'rodded' which is not the same as a simpler but less effective radiator flush.

speedtre

Explorer
I am not sure if the rear diff lock was an option on the 2000 model year.

I'm about 95% sure it was not. I wanted a '96 or later Gen II (or II.5) so it would have airbags (family camping vehicle) but I also wanted the rear-locker. From what I determined, the 98-99 Gen II.5 with the winter package came with the rear-locker, but the 2000 Gen II.5 did not come with a rear locker, even with the winter package. I looked at a 2000 that had the other winter package options (heated seats, front light washers), but no rear locker.

tyro

Nice info off-roader.

I'm considering a Montero too. In your opinion and experience, which of the "gens" 1-3 do you prefer? years?

thanks.

While my name is not "off-roader" I have driven them all many times and I prefer the Gen II.5. While I love my 1991 the 1998-2000 models are so much more refined and much more safe in the event of an accident. The Gen II.5 has the larger rear axle with an optional locker. The 3.5 engine has 228 ft lbs of torque which is the same as the 1994-96 models. The few things that I wish the Gen II.5 had that the previous generations had are: fly windows, 4.63 differential gearing, bouncy seats, inclinometer and manual locking hubs.

While the Gen III is still a great off road vehicle, they are built on a unibody chassis, they have front and rear independent suspension. They do not have a factory locker option but they are available after market. The wheel wells are smaller than previous generations. The power to weight ratio is the lowest of all 3 generations.

tyro

Thanks 4D55 for chiming in. I appreciate it. No intent to exclude anyone from contributing. Now that I'm with family, safety concerns are important considerations. From what I've been able to gather so far, the Gen II.5 sounds like a good fit.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice info off-roader.

I'm considering a Montero too. In your opinion and experience, which of the "gens" 1-3 do you prefer? years?

thanks.

Bear in mind I like to do a wide variety of trails from hard core rock crawling to easy scenic trail riding so my criteria may be different from yours.

Based on looks alone...
Gen I SWB
Gen I LWB
Gen II built up on 35" tires or greater
Gen III on 33's

Based on capabilities
94-96 SR or 97 w/ the 3.5L DOHC engine and locker. More power, torque, better gearing, and comes with a rear locker. (Only downside is complex dohc and butterfly valves).
Among the 4 years the 96-97 are also OBDII which makes them a little easier to maintain/fix.
98-99 with the winter package. Little less power & torque, gearing is only 4.2x:1. Fender clearance sufficient for 35's.
89-91 v6 two or four door. On some obstacles the 2 door's better on others the 4 door's better. 4 door's much better for cargo capacity though but slightly poorer in power:weight ratio & gas mileage.

Allof75

Pathfinder
So I have been looking at the Montero Gen II.5 for a few months, even driven a basket-case one and I have a few concerns I hope you all could address,

1. I've heard that this is an "interference" engine, where the timing belt becomes an issue (?) How big of an issue is it, and how often does it have to be replaced, because it seems very expensive.

2. It looks like it's a pain to replace spark plugs, is it really? How long do they typically need to be done on this vehicle? And are they a sign of the complexity of other vehicle maintenence?

3. Are the monteros easy to work on?

4. Does the DOHC cause an issue frequently? Butterfly valves?

5. What are usual mainenence items?

Thanks, and hopefully you don't mind me pulling up this old thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger