Montero Shock Question

red87

Adventurer
I'll be getting a Montero SR as soon as I find an acceptable one and I've been thinking about the suspension. I plan on getting OME coils in rear and keeping the stock torsion bars (unless that's a terrible idea) but I'm not sure about shocks. I'd like to try the Bilstein 5150s in the rear but I'm not sure if just sticking with OME is a better choice or not. Same in the front; Bilstein or OME? Most of my intended usage is higher speed desert type stuff.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Stock is a decent 3 position selectable unit made by KYB. If it still works, stick with it. If not replacing it with a newer OE shock is usually very $$$ so most go with a standard KYB, Bilstein, or other monotube design. The KYB monotube model is usually being the least expensive option @~$30-40/ea.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I put a set of KYB MonoMax SUV specific shocks on my 99. I like them very much. The shock body is much more substancial than a oe replacement shock. It is stiffer and can handle upgraded springs and loads. I put them on and removed my rear swaybar. My truck handles better than it did with the oe shocks and swaybar connected. Best part is they were $170 for all 4:sombrero:
Hope that helps.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
In my experience,
the OME shocks have worked very well in conjunction with the OME coils.
I also do quite a bit of high speed desert driving and am very pleased with the valving of the shocks.
Good Luck

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I just switched my OME Nitrochargers with the newer Nitrocharger Sport shocks and I really like them. Nice improvement. If they make a Nitrocharger Sport for the Gen II-2.5, I would recommend that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears