Montero SR - Underbody servicing?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Are there any grease points etc that need to be attended to on a Gen 2 Montero SR?

Any other servicing of the drivetrain required?

Thanks!

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thanks. How much does it cost, typically, to get them serviced? My SR, when I bought it, was a one-owner with full service history and I don't see a record of it being done.

Also, is it a home DIY job if I buy a grease gun? Is it worth it, or should I just let someone else do it?

Desert Dan

Explorer
Try it yourself so you'll see where the zerk fittings are. Clean off the old grease with a rag before putting in new grease.
Check steering system, both driveshafts and spline joints and ball joints on front.

If you have trouble reaching some of the fitting you can move the car slightly to turn the driveshafts.

Have fun and get greasy

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thanks.

If any of the stock fittings fail, is there a common one that you guys like to use as replacements?

And, is there a particular grease you like to use?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Just FYI if you get your oil changed at a shop it is supposed to be part of the oil change. Just make sure you mention that your vehicle has them and watch to make sure they get done. There is a reason they are called LOF's lube, oil, filter.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thanks. I just bought a grease gun (Lincoln #1134) on Amazon and will go ahead and give it a shot myself. Just gotta do some research on the correct grease(s) to use, and locate/read an FSM on the topic.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
There are ~ a dozen or more zirk fittings located throughout the undercarriage. It's listed in the FSM.

So I'm paging through the FSM, and I can only locate 8 of the Zerk's in the book. Where are the other 4 or so...? Can you point me to the correct pages?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was a bit off... There are only 10.

In my 96 FSM it's on page 00-21.
upper a-arm x2
lower ball joint x2
Tie-rod x2
front drive shaft x2
rear drive shaft x2

I make xerox copies to use when I change my oil or give to the oil change place when I have a lube service done.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I was a bit off... There are only 10.

In my 96 FSM it's on page 00-21.
upper a-arm x2
lower ball joint x2
Tie-rod x2
front drive shaft x2
rear drive shaft x2

I make xerox copies to use when I change my oil or give to the oil change place when I have a lube service done.

Ok thanks. Yes, I have printed up the appropriate pages and put 'em in plastic sleeves so I can get 'em while I'm under there.

Also, do you typically get your truck up off its wheels before you do the lube job, to allow all the components to move freely? Or can you do it with the truck on the ground?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It can be done on the ground although you may want to drive it up on some ramps (or a curb) up front to get a bit more clearance underneath.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
BTW, this is based on my experience with 35's and 33's. Haven't done this with a stock rig and I don't recall exactly what lift mods' you've done with yours. Looking forward to some positive results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears