Monteros on craigslist

mr_ed

Toolbag
Just posted my 97 LS in the For Sale section here.

It'll be on CL shortly...

Sent while on the toilet using Tapatalk

DanF.

Adventurer
I made a CL ad on Friday night as a feeler to gauge the interest of buying my BMW, and 20 minutes later a buyer said he wanted it. Picked it up Sunday morning. Now I'm hunting for a Gen3 in the Galveston/Houston, TX area. I've sent out four emails today, and am waiting to hear back.

Any thoughts on these:

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5412063781.html (did the 2003 XLS come with the 5-speed auto. that the Limited uses?)

https://galveston.craigslist.org/cto/5376332503.html

https://galveston.craigslist.org/ctd/5392720477.html

and, don't laugh....

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5387466283.html (I said I wanted them to swap on OEM wheels/tires, and get rid of the Pep Boys stick-on crap...)

clmrt

Adventurer
All 2003 and up have the 5-speed. XLS may lack auto air, lack rear air, will always have cloth.

Have you driven one yet to get a feel for these things?

I say #3 because it's clean as hell. Service records? It will need $1500 in service to "baseline" it for peace of mind, ie timing belt and transmission flush. $500 if you do it yourself.

Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The 2003 XLS is essentially a "base model Limited." Mechanically it's a 2003+ Limited, but with cloth and stuff. Nice find.

The last one has been for sale for a long time. I'd consider lowballing them and seeing if you can get it as is, then spend a good day de-ricing it.

DanF.

Adventurer
All 2003 and up have the 5-speed. XLS may lack auto air, lack rear air, will always have cloth.

Have you driven one yet to get a feel for these things?

I say #3 because it's clean as hell. Service records? It will need $1500 in service to "baseline" it for peace of mind, ie timing belt and transmission flush. $500 if you do it yourself.

The 2003 XLS is essentially a "base model Limited." Mechanically it's a 2003+ Limited, but with cloth and stuff. Nice find.

The last one has been for sale for a long time. I'd consider lowballing them and seeing if you can get it as is, then spend a good day de-ricing it.

Does the 3.5L vs. 3.8L engine really matter at all? Part of me thinks more power is always better, the other part says that these aren't meant to be race cars.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Couldn't tell you. Haven't driven a 01-02 of any kind. In fact, the only two Monteros i've driven are the ones i own. The Gen2.5 feels like a complete and utter turd compared to the Gen3 with 3.8, but i suspect that transmission and gearing are the bigger culprits than the motor.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Does the 3.5L vs. 3.8L engine really matter at all? Part of me thinks more power is always better, the other part says that these aren't meant to be race cars.

The 3.8L is much smoother and the extra power never hurts. The main benefit is having the traction control for slippery road conditions, but it also doubles as one of the best offroad traction systems. It is so effective that they dropped the rear LSD in 03 when it was introduced. The 3.8L is also the latest iteration that seemed to fix some of the quirks I had with the 3.5L (valve cover leaks and other small assorted issues are common). Some people want the throttle cable control of the 3.5L, but I have never been wanting of going back after getting my 05.

These are built as race vehicles as well. Mitsubishi developed the Pajero/Montero using Dakar and other Rally Raid competitions. Several teams are still using them in production classes. I know there is a racer in Australia who uses a full size Gen3 to win all his championships. Not completely stock, but still very impressive. Pajeros don't win based on power and speed, but on consistency and endurance. Either engine is still good, but the 3.8L is just the latest version of the 6G7 engine series.

plh

Explorer
My 05 G3 feels like a race truck compared to my 01 3.0 sport, I can tell you that.

I concur with this comparison between my '05 and either the '92 or '93 with the 3.0l.

Fantasizing about a 3.8l 5 speed auto (and Gen 3 suspension) swap into a Gen 1 SWB. That would be sweet. (Paj EVO)

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Here is one in Phoenix, AZ. I spoke with the seller when he first posted it a few weeks ago and here's what I got:

- 2" body lift, 5 33x12.5R15 BFG AT tires, salvage title from small fender bender (rear ended with no real damage other than cracked paint) - This is when he was asking 3k. Then a week later the price drops to $1800 and the line "timing belt needs to be replaced
still runs" appears in the ad. There is some fishiness going on with this one.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5409896699.html

PHeller

Adventurer
Seems like 160,000 is the mileage of choice for selling you Gen III Montero. Nothing wrong with that except maybe the need to rebuild the heads after purchase.

PHeller

Adventurer
Here is one in Phoenix, AZ. I spoke with the seller when he first posted it a few weeks ago and here's what I got:

- 2" body lift, 5 33x12.5R15 BFG AT tires, salvage title from small fender bender (rear ended with no real damage other than cracked paint) - This is when he was asking 3k. Then a week later the price drops to $1800 and the line "timing belt needs to be replaced
still runs" appears in the ad. There is some fishiness going on with this one.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5409896699.html

My guess is that someone called him out on the timing belt.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
If you're looking on the cheap end of the spectrum, absolutely nothing you'll find won't require some time and effort to make it perfect. Probably more constructive to use stuff like a timing belt as a bargaining tool rather than "no way in hell would i touch that truck."

You won't find a perfect Gen3 for $4000, and you won't find a perfect Gen2 for.... well you just won't find a perfect Gen2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12