Monteros on craigslist

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Found this one. If you see the picture its actually a winter package. Mileage is a bit high so I don't know how much of a concern that is.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4127300427.html

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. But it would figure it's on the other end of the country. SHUCKS! I would jump on that today if that was at least a few states away. None around here look that good. They are all beat to death.

Jaynen

Adventurer
If I can sell my wife's car soon and its still around I might jump on it. We could swing it now but having 5 cars at home would not bode well with the wife

ca18_sean

Adventurer
It's probably a Caribbean import... we get later 90's and early 2000's models from Puerto Rico here in Florida a lot. They still look like Gen 2's, not Gen 2.5's. It looks like it has the same Dakar sticker package that I see quite frequently on those models.

jlocster

Explorer
That is not a 1999.

As ca18_sean mentioned, it is a Caribbean import and rare on the West Coast. They are typified by the Gen 2 body style (even during the 98-2000 model years), monochromatic paint scheme, body colored bumpers, "Dakar" graphics, chrome front grill, steel wheels, and running boards.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Just inspect any vehicle coming from the Jersey/New York heavily. Lots of them getting sold without noting water damage.

Jaynen

Adventurer
Yup ^^ pretty sure the minivan we just bought which came from Jersey had some of that. Finding all kinds of weird little things with it. Nothing major yet but it has me concerned

BushPig

Observer
Having lived on Long Island, I will say that trucks from the Northeastern US... make that, all vehicles from the Northeastern US are by far the most rotten I have ever seen, and I have been a gearhead my whole life. They use SO MUCH salt and sand on the roads in the winter, it's incredible. The sand used in the mix is large and coarse, obviously due to its function. The salt is also large and coarse. I owned a late '90's 4Runner that I brought to Long Island from San Diego, a California truck from day one, and in just two winters on Long Island, it degraded visibly and rapidly on every surface underneath the truck. I made every effort to spray it off after driving it in the salt/sand mix, even using hot water from our shop garage whenever possible. And as a lifelong car nut, I was always paying attention to other cars... they just rot away up there. I would never touch a vehicle from the Northeast.

Also, I have seen a lot of vehicles being sold here recently in NC as "Southern" vehicles... having spent the majority of their lives up in the Northeast. They buy 'em cheap at auction from up there, and sell 'em here for more. Be forewarned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears