MOPWR Build

Ben Holeton

Observer
If you have new straps and such it should be easy. Have you taken your jeep in for the recall yet?

Yeah. Already did that. How did you empty the gas tank? i don't have a siphoning machine. Also, it seems that all I need to do to remove pressure from the system is Unhook the battery and take off the gas cap. True? Or am I missing a step?

Mitch502

Explorer
There is a valve on the fuel line. Take off battery, use a rag in your hand ti push the valve down, it'll release the pressure. Or, a lot of times I just unhook the line (for you the easiest place would be the filter) and let the gas just run out because I forget to relive pressure before lifting it up.

The pressure is in your fuel lines. Not your tank. So opening up the cap won't do anything for the pressure in the fuel line. Think of your fuel pump as a one way valve (it is) and all the pressure is on the other side (outside of the tank)

If you get into it and need any help, just let me know. If be glad to answer your questions.

Mitch502

Explorer
As far as emptying the gas tank, just drive it until it's almost empty. If you don't plan on saving your old fuel pump, you could drive it until the gas light is on, and then let it idle till it dies. Fuel running through the pump acts as a coolant for the pump from what I understand. Running your tank till it is so empty it dies can harm the fuel pump potentially (unlikely to hurt it if you only do it once). I saved my old pump as a spare since it still worked.

If you want me to do a step by step how to, pm me and I'll throw a quick write up together at work tonight.

Ben Holeton

Observer
Cool. I'll just take off the filter and let gas run out. Thanks. As far as letting my tank run til it dies, it's my sending unit that's bad. i actually don't know how much gas is in at any given time. I keep filling up every ~150 miles to make sure I don't run out. But I'll figure it out. Thanks for your help!

Mitch502

Explorer
Wasn't happy with the way the rainfly was fitted, so I made sure it was tied down in a better way. You can see here why the orange cover was better suited for my application...

Here it is fitted more securly than before through screws in the underside of the platform attached to hooks on the back, and pulled tight in the front by paracord wrapped around a stud.

I like that this option covers the window by the head of the tent so that it can be open even in the rain

And might even give enough of a drip edge on the sides to keep rain out in light rain.

And rolled up to allow door access

You can also see that I added a hook and basket as I've seen alot of people do in order to have a good place for shoes/wet clothes/etc.

I also made this real quick. Going to get a bicycle handlebar mount for a phone and use it to hold my phone for GPS during trips.

Ben Holeton

Observer
I just bought a house on a lake. If you ever want to camp in IL, just say the word.

Also, did you have to prime your fuel pump after you put it in? If so, how did you do that?

Mitch502

Explorer
I just bought a house on a lake. If you ever want to camp in IL, just say the word.

Also, did you have to prime your fuel pump after you put it in? If so, how did you do that?

Turn the key to the "on" position and wait about 5-10 seconds. Do this maybe 10 times. Might be overkill to do it that much, but it's not going to hurt anything. Any additional pressure the system doesn't need will get bypassed.

Thanks for the offer on some IL camping!

mmaattppoo

Adventurer

What did you use as paint? I'm planing to do a little rust prevention painting of the underside of my JKU next summer and want to do my research on the topic over the winter. Nice job! The after photo looks good.

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
Pictures make it look better. It had too much rust to clean up alot. I sprayed a rust converter on it and let that sit while I was working on the fuel pump. Then sprayed it black just before putting the tank back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179