More 2011 Wrangler News...

jingram

Adventurer
... allpar is now reporting:

"While Jeep is still keeping the new interior under wraps, with a promised peek in early July, they did say that hill descent control and cruise control will be standard on the 4x4s, along with steering wheel audio controls. The upcoming Rock-Trac® system for 4x4s uses Dana 44 axles front and rear, with Tru-Lok locking differentials front and rear, and an NV2410R transfer case with 73:1 crawl ratio, electronic sway bar disconnect, and 4:1 gear ratio.

Standard Wrangler 4x4s will get Command-Trac I®, with a neutral setting for towing without uncoupling the driveshafts. The front axle is a Dana 30, the rear axle is a corporate 8.25 axle; a Trac-Lok differential is available."

Clearly some of this is redundant as the Rubi already has the Rock-Trac combo in place. The biggest nugget I saw was the mention of the 8.25 Corporate rear axle on non Rubicon models. Was the cost savings REALLY worth it? You would think that a simplification of their production line would be a better option than bringing in another axle type. Boo Fiat/Chryco... poor choice!

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
How does the 8.25 compare with the D35?

Stouter, weaker?

Hill decent and the swaybar you CAN KEEP! Those things have so much trouble wrapped up in them. Get those sway bar motors a little wet and they can take down your entire jeep. Some of them have even been known to set the jeep on fire! NO THANKS, I will just disco my own sway bars by hand thanks!

Cheers

bryson

How does the 8.25 compare with the D35?

Stouter, weaker?

Hill decent and the swaybar you CAN KEEP! Those things have so much trouble wrapped up in them. Get those sway bar motors a little wet and they can take down your entire jeep. Some of them have even been known to set the jeep on fire! NO THANKS, I will just disco my own sway bars by hand thanks!

Cheers

8.25" is comparable in strength to a Dana 44. Previous models of the 8.25 are C-clip axles, but luckily they didn't have any of the issues that plagued the ridiculous Dana 35. It will be interesting if they are still C-clip in the Wranglers? In short, the 8.25 is WAY better than the 35.

Also, I have heard from those "in the know" that they are bagging that terd of a 3.8 V6 for 2012 models. The new motor (still a V6 :oops:) is touted as having much more power, and being a much better match for the Jeeps. Maybe one day they'll pull their heads out and toss a V8 in there...:snorkel:

bryson

I would assume (and hope?) the new axle would be "beefed up" like the 35 and 44 were when they were first adapted for the JK (bigger tubes, bigger pinion shaft, etc...) But, you never know.:)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Well according to this article Jeep Axle Ratings in Jp Magazine the 8.25 is a substantially weaker axle than the next gen D44 found in the JK. I have no experience with this axle personally...

There is no substantiation in that article. It's an ordered list laced with opinion.

I take issue with the order that some of the axles are listed in.

I'm not sure where Muffy is going with her stock Jeep that she needs more than a ChryCo 8.25" axle anyway. If less weight and lower rolling drag across the larger part of the Jeep fleet results in extra CAFE points I'm all for it.

alosix

Expedition Leader
What was in the last batch of Grands and Commanders?

I wonder if they don't have a batch of center sections from moving those to IRS to work through.

I know Ford had a bunch of 31 spline 8.8s leftover when they swapped to IRS Expoders. I have one of the 'NOS' 8.8s in my TJ, was never mounted to an explorer.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears