More battery help...

saburai

Explorer
Hi Gang,

I've narrowed it down to a Sears Die Hard Platinum.

Currently I'm residing up here in BF Egypt :elkgrin: so there is not a Sears auto in striking distance...

IIRC my 99 XJ calls for a group 34 battery, Sears does not sell the platinum in a 34.

Any one know what else fits in the stock tray? Or how about at least in the stock location with some trimming?

DBH

I just went with a yellow top Dura LAst battery from autozone. I was on the fence about an Optima yellow top, and when the old girl decided not to start, I went with the Duralast. It is 800 cold crank amps. It will fit easily. I think it set me back about $99.00. This was a fix till I can find the right battery, but so far so good.

ExpoMike

I don't recall what model it was but I put a Sear's Platinum in my 2000 XJ and it fit fine. Almost a year in the Jeep and hasn't missed a beat. Let me see if I can find out the group number.

Okay, went out and checked. It is labeled as a Group 34 but I checked the Sears web site and you are correct, they don't list the normal one, only the marine version. I don't know if the only difference is the extra terminals (which could be helpful if they fit under the hood). Very strange indeed...

Last edited:

saburai

Explorer
Thanks Guys!

Dan, thanks for the input:victory: But I did want an AGM type battery...

Mike, are you running the marine version?

I don't recall what model it was but I put a Sear's Platinum in my 2000 XJ and it fit fine. Almost a year in the Jeep and hasn't missed a beat. Let me see if I can find out the group number.

Okay, went out and checked. It is labeled as a Group 34 but I checked the Sears web site and you are correct, they don't list the normal one, only the marine version. I don't know if the only difference is the extra terminals (which could be helpful if they fit under the hood). Very strange indeed...

ExpoMike

Thanks Guys!

Dan, thanks for the input:victory: But I did want an AGM type battery...

Mike, are you running the marine version?

No, I am not. I even did a Google search and found reviews on the exact one I have, which is not the marine version. I don't understand why Sears has removed the standard 34 version from the web site.

I did notice that there was a number of references to group 34/78 which are the same physical size but with the addition of side posts with top posts. From what I read, the side posts setup has been very problematic as it seemed like they were "added" on and would end up coming loose. The top posts worked fine though.

saburai

Explorer
Sears has the 34

It's not on the web but I went to a local Sears auto and they had the 34 for $189 so I got one:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman