More Kruger Canoes...

KEENO

Adventurer
I guess my interest/obsession with Kruger Canoes and the man, canoeing visionary & legend, Verlen Kruger, has moved to a new level of commitment. I'm a self inflicted "KrugerHead" now!:victory:

Since purchasing my first 'Verlen Kruger designed - Sawyer Canoe built' LOON back in May of 2009, I've continued my search for other LOON, Monarch & the top of the evolutionary ladder of Kruger Canoes... The Sea Wind.

LOON post: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27589)

http://www.krugercanoes.com/

Well... A couple more beautiful specimens have been found, procured and now live in Tennessee. Not too far from the ocean & Great Lakes, yet with many beautiful rivers to paddle! :smiley_drive:

Kruger Sea Wind #55: (1998 circa)
SW side.JPG

Sawyer Canoe Co. LOON: (1985 vintage)
SW LOON.jpg

Kruger Seat System: As seat on left / portage yoke on right
SW LOON Seat.jpg

Kruger Rudder:
SW LOON Rudders resize.jpg

In search of the next expedition canoe adventure...

SYOTW

KEENO:)

KEENO

Adventurer
It's all about the hunt...

Keep looking Scott... They're out there, but difficult to find. I do know that Sea Wind #280 was just delivered to it's new owner last week while I was in Michigan. Not sure, how many Loons & Monarchs were ever produced?... I'm still looking for a Monarch.

Here's a few pics from a Dale Hollow Lake paddle last weekend with the (2) Sawyer LOONS.
dhtrio.jpg
dhmrjppaddle.jpg
dhtkjploon.jpg

KEENO :)

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
There was a Kruger on today's trip. I think it was a Sea Wind. I've never really been attracted to them. I can understand their utility. Perhaps my hesitation is caused by my preference for switching between kneeling and sitting while canoeing.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Wasn't the Monarch licensed to Wilderness Systems? It's a gorgeous boat, regardless.

How many Foster paddlers also own a farkled up BRP ? That's what I really want to know.:sombrero:

You, Sir, are a rare Gentleman, indeed.

Cheers

KEENO

Adventurer
Hey All...

T. Low... The Monarch was produced by Mad River Canoes in VT and came adorned with the cool "Peace Pipe Smokin' Rabbit" insigna which make it worthy of a personal quest. (I think I've found one in Pensacola, FL for sale... I feel a road trip coming on!)

Farkled BRP you say.... It's all about simplicity. The Honda XRL is somewhat similar to a Ball Peen Hammer in this regard & seems like a throwback to the '80s when I ride it. :bike_rider: It's fun and has a few parts on it, while many of the factory ones have fallen off.

Kerry... I can understand your preferences while in a canoe. The Krugers are unique and an aquired taste, I admire Verlen's ability to think outside of the box and then create the vision in Kevlar. The Krugers do eat up miles, I paddle 15 miles @ a 3.5 Avg. MPH pace last weekend in the Mobile/Tensaw River Delta without much effort. You should give one a try, just to see how it is to go to the 'dark-side' (seated w/ rudder)

Last edited:

KEENO

Adventurer
Hey T. Low....

I forgot to mention in my quick reply, that I have the Nigel Foster Silhouette, up at Kruger Canoe in Michigan, having the rear cockpit bulkhead relocated & revised. I planning on replacing the awkward Foster/Rowe seat with a NDK Foam Seat.

What do you think Mr. Foster would think of all of this cross-breeding?

Last edited:

KEENO

Adventurer
Monarch Found...

Found a Mad River Monarch, in Pensacola FLA, & out the door in a moment to drive South for pick-up and a little overnight paddle in the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta.

More details to follow...

KEENO:wings:

Scott39

Adventurer
Found a Mad River Monarch, in Pensacola FLA, & out the door in a moment to drive South for pick-up and a little overnight paddle in the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta.

More details to follow...

KEENO:wings:
Sounds like a good find and some fun paddling, I'm stuck with the lack of water/lakes here in Colorado, but I do have Lake Powell about 7 hours away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears