More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marcall

Observer
Mercedes has been using full selectable lockers in the Unimog since day one in the 1940s. Then mercedes had lockers in the g-wagon in 1979. Toyota offered full locking diffs in the fj60 in the 1980's and the fj80 had optional lockers in the 90s. Mitsubishi montero's had lockers in the 90s as well. That's really cool that jeeps are reliable driving on hard packed roads here in North America. Does it matter where I live? I drive a Toyota knowing that if it will last years of hard abuse overseas it will last even longer here.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Was a Unimog ever a mass produced civilian production vehichle capable as a daily driver? Jeeps have always had aftermarket support and a cheap 150 dollar Loc-Rite could be had and installed in a couple hours if need be back in the day. Lockers aren't the be all end all, it's the overall blend of everything and that is approach/departure/gearing/horsepower/torque(in a good usable range) crawl ratio, flex and the way the suspension works, ground clearance. Take a Mitsubishi Montero with IFS against a Jeep (especially a Jeep sway bar disconnected) and you will need a locker to make up for that tire up in the air. The Jeep will most likely still have tire contact patch on the ground.

What makes you keep bringing up "hard packed roads". southwest America has steep loose rock, sand, mud, Mud and bogs, other part of the country, snow> Is the US the only place in the world with paved roads?

I ask where you're from , what country because I think it's relevant. A customer at work has a 1979 CJ7 he bought brand new and has been a customer with us since day 1. He has 380,000 miles (over 35 years) and has never done anything more than routine things like a clutch, a water pump, some clutch pedal bushings, etc. It's an AMC 304. How is that not any less reliable than your Toyota? Terrain is terrain. "overseas" is not some magical fantasy land although it seems to be held in higher regard by you from what I gather. My thoughts are dirt is dirt. Vehicle abuse can be had many way from the kid doing nuetral drops daily in his jeep to revving a stock 29 inch wheel Jeep cherokee at 5000 RPM trying to go where the 35 inch tire Jeeps go to a Toyota carrying a troop of militia at 40 mph over bumpy roads, it's all the same.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Was a Unimog ever a mass produced civilian production vehichle capable as a daily driver? Jeeps have always had aftermarket support and a cheap 150 dollar Loc-Rite could be had and installed in a couple hours if need be back in the day. Lockers aren't the be all end all, it's the overall blend of everything and that is approach/departure/gearing/horsepower/torque(in a good usable range) crawl ratio, flex and the way the suspension works, ground clearance. Take a Mitsubishi Montero with IFS against a Jeep (especially a Jeep sway bar disconnected) and you will need a locker to make up for that tire up in the air. The Jeep will most likely still have tire contact patch on the ground.

What makes you keep bringing up "hard packed roads". southwest America has steep loose rock, sand, mud, Mud and bogs, other part of the country, snow> Is the US the only place in the world with paved roads?

I ask where you're from , what country because I think it's relevant. A customer at work has a 1979 CJ7 he bought brand new and has been a customer with us since day 1. He has 380,000 miles (over 35 years) and has never done anything more than routine things like a clutch, a water pump, some clutch pedal bushings, etc. It's an AMC 304. How is that not any less reliable than your Toyota? Terrain is terrain. "overseas" is not some magical fantasy land although it seems to be held in higher regard by you from what I gather. My thoughts are dirt is dirt. Vehicle abuse can be had many way from the kid doing nuetral drops daily in his jeep to revving a stock 29 inch wheel Jeep cherokee at 5000 RPM trying to go where the 35 inch tire Jeeps go to a Toyota carrying a troop of militia at 40 mph over bumpy roads, it's all the same.

Yea unimogs are a mass produced vehicle. I drove my as a fail driver for a year before I got married. A fault driver is up to the individual. Because you may not consider it a daily driver doesn't mean it isn't to someone else. Well it's painfully obvious you have never stepped foot in a 3rd world nation. So I'm going to stop and not waste my time trying to explain the conditions to you. That's really awesome that his jeep has that many miles. Good for him. I hope it lasts longer. A clutch dump is not the same as driving wash board roads for hundreds of thousands of miles. Sorry it's not. I'm brought up a montero just to show you it had lockers before jeep did. Keep isn't ground breaking in any way.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

SeattleFJs

Observer
There are so many laughable parts to this fanboy post. Favorite? Comparing sales of what is now mostly a luxury vehicle to an abstract "I've seen more YouTube posts about Jeeps" claim. Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

libarata

Expedition Leader
"Is my Frontier the best overlanding platform for everybody? YES "

Fixed it for ya.

In the end, the best "overland" vehicle, is the LEGsus SHOEmobile, preferably in 2x2, full independent suspension. Jeep, and all others are posers.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
"Is my Frontier the best overlanding platform for everybody? YES "

Fixed it for ya.

In the end, the best "overland" vehicle, is the LEGsus SHOEmobile, preferably in 2x2, full independent suspension. Jeep, and all others are posers.

I dunno man, I see more youtube posts about horses. Horses are the way to go.

aluke0510

Adventurer
I dunno man, I see more youtube posts about horses. Horses are the way to go.

I'd prefer a mule or camel. Far better in deserts. Horses are kinda weak for extended travel. :26_16_2:

Anywho, I can't read this whole thread but it is very hilarious. I don't think this guy knows what he stepped in.:shakin: I wish there was a thingy for bull poop.

Yes the Jeep is a great platform it is in the top 10 sold in North America if you are trying to bridge the gap a bit between something that can serve as a mall crawler, with money a rock crawler, and short camping trips. Try loading a Jeep for 2weeks fully supported (water, fuel, food, camping); remember often in the desert you need 1-2gal of water per day per person and 25% excess fuel as a reserve.

In all honesty a full size truck can serve just perfect for overland duty. In a lot of ways it is better with higher payload capacity, similar fuel economy, etc.

That is the class that the Defender and 70 series Land Cruisers fall in the outside world. They just keep things simpler in a lot of ways, offer shorter wheelbase or similar wheelbase, and well still have classic styling. All positive attributes. Even vehicles that are complexed a bit/modernised more tromp. For example the new Ford Ranger or Hilux has a lot of positive attributes from an overlanding perspective that our comparable Tacoma, Colorado, Frontier don't offer. The US market is far too driven by people wanting comfort, safety standards, etc than people buying for a working truck to handle rough gravel roads. In those markets they are buying for more the working vehicle and need for their roads than to drive on the interstate, to the grocery store, parking garages, and taking the family on a picnic... That is what cars and small utes are for.

I have to say in all my travels the Jeep was never a very popular choice, great for weekends but long term they are quite restrictive with the terribly low payload capacity. Jeep will always struggle to make a vehicle to compete with true working trucks overseas because their largest market is here in North America. Their biggest selling point overseas is the comforts and modernised with the styling that you don't get with similar working trucks built for abuse and payload that still retain classic styling. Not extended remote travel which is where the working trucks also perform great.

Edit: I think the VW beetle classic is an often far too ignored platform here. Slight suspension changes, a bit of fiberglass body changes, rip out the rear seat add a roof rack and ya got a vehicle incredibly simple to repair, parts are enormously available, and will handle 90% of overland routes supporting you for up to a week between restocks. Just have to travel light like a backpacker and conserve payload for fuel water and dehydrated food. And with the capability as stock and huge production numbers probably trumps even now worldwide... Just not what people think of from the romance and cool factor.

Edit 2:
BTW I own a Jeep. Just not a modern one. It has a higher payload capacity than a modern Jeep, simpler, and far cooler. If I could have had a Defender 110 high capacity or Land Cruiser 70 series here for a more economical price and easy parts availability here I would. But importing, fixing up, maintaining in North America is just cost prohibitive against comparable older options here. If I wanted to spend more for it in trade of less money for travelling then I would have gone that route.

Last edited:

marktutone

Adventurer
I'd prefer a mule or camel. Far better in deserts. Horses are kinda weak for extended travel. :26_16_2:

Anywho, I can't read this whole thread but it is very hilarious. I don't think this guy knows what he stepped in.:shakin: I wish there was a thingy for bull poop.

Yes the Jeep is a great platform it is in the top 10 sold in North America if you are trying to bridge the gap a bit between something that can serve as a mall crawler, with money a rock crawler, and short camping trips. Try loading a Jeep for 2weeks fully supported (water, fuel, food, camping); remember often in the desert you need 1-2gal of water per day per person and 25% excess fuel as a reserve.

In all honesty a full size truck can serve just perfect for overland duty. In a lot of ways it is better with higher payload capacity, similar fuel economy, etc.

That is the class that the Defender and 70 series Land Cruisers fall in the outside world. They just keep things simpler in a lot of ways, offer shorter wheelbase or similar wheelbase, and well still have classic styling. All positive attributes. Even vehicles that are complexed a bit/modernised more tromp. For example the new Ford Ranger or Hilux has a lot of positive attributes from an overlanding perspective that our comparable Tacoma, Colorado, Frontier don't offer. The US market is far too driven by people wanting comfort, safety standards, etc than people buying for a working truck to handle rough gravel roads. In those markets they are buying for more the working vehicle and need for their roads than to drive on the interstate, to the grocery store, parking garages, and taking the family on a picnic... That is what cars and small utes are for.

I have to say in all my travels the Jeep was never a very popular choice, great for weekends but long term they are quite restrictive with the terribly low payload capacity. Jeep will always struggle to make a vehicle to compete with true working trucks overseas because their largest market is here in North America. Their biggest selling point overseas is the comforts and modernised with the styling that you don't get with similar working trucks built for abuse and payload that still retain classic styling. Not extended remote travel which is where the working trucks also perform great.

Edit: I think the VW beetle classic is an often far too ignored platform here. Slight suspension changes, a bit of fiberglass body changes, rip out the rear seat add a roof rack and ya got a vehicle incredibly simple to repair, parts are enormously available, and will handle 90% of overland routes supporting you for up to a week between restocks. Just have to travel light like a backpacker and conserve payload for fuel water and dehydrated food. And with the capability as stock and huge production numbers probably trumps even now worldwide... Just not what people think of from the romance and cool factor.

Edit 2:
BTW I own a Jeep. Just not a modern one. It has a higher payload capacity than a modern Jeep, simpler, and far cooler. If I could have had a Defender 110 high capacity or Land Cruiser 70 series here for a more economical price and easy parts availability here I would. But importing, fixing up, maintaining in North America is just cost prohibitive against comparable older options here. If I wanted to spend more for it in trade of less money for travelling then I would have gone that route.

My point was that the Jeep is really looking like it can replace the defender and land cruiser the world over. There is a lot of evidence that it is being accepted all of the world. For the other part of your post about capacity I use an old 1968 ward field and stream popup tent trailer that I out fitted for off road use. All of the stuff that I do not need to get into before a trip is stored in the inside of the trailer. The containers that need replenishing are stored on top and secured with a rack. I use dehydrated food and a lot of water. The water is also stored on the outside with two Jerry can holders and on top of the trailer.
With the trailer I do not have to worry about not enough room for my stuff. I have more than enough room. Also after a trip I slide it into my garage and I am done with it. No unpacking. Also I have a two car garage. My land cruiser, jeep and trailer all fit in with no problem.
DSC00526.JPGDSC000731.jpgDSC01035.JPGDSC01108.JPG

marcall

Observer
Yea unimogs are a mass produced vehicle. I drove my as a fail driver for a year before I got married. A fault driver is up to the individual. Because you may not consider it a daily driver doesn't mean it isn't to someone else. Well it's painfully obvious you have never stepped foot in a 3rd world nation. So I'm going to stop and not waste my time trying to explain the conditions to you. That's really awesome that his jeep has that many miles. Good for him. I hope it lasts longer. A clutch dump is not the same as driving wash board roads for hundreds of thousands of miles. Sorry it's not. I'm brought up a montero just to show you it had lockers before jeep did. Keep isn't ground breaking in any way.

A farm tractor could be a daily driver but can you go through the drive through at McDonalds with it? Can you fit it in a covered parking spot at work? etc. A semi/ tractor trailer/lorry is a daily driver to some as well. Most would not consider it the primary vehicle to run to the corner drugstore with though.

It is obvious I've never been in a third world country (unless you consider Sonora Mexico as third world) as I stated that in my first post where I said I don't have the finances or the time alloted to travel like that. The fact you bring it up again reeks of elitism. One does not need to phyisically step foot into another part of the world (especially in this day and age) to understand or have knowledge of conditions there. I brought up his Jeep to stress a point, I could've referred you to many "how many miles on oyur Jeep thread" or you could do a Google.

I mentioned a "Nuetral drop" which I guess you don't understand. A nuetral drop is revving it to near redline in an automatic transmission and slamming it into drive. Kids used to do that drag racing here in the states. I pointed out that "abuse" is abuse" and gave an example of the "Toyota driving down bumpy roads with a troop at 40 miles per hour". Both examples are abuse (imagine the Toyota overladed in weight) and both will do damage. The revving to redline most likely sooner and quicker than a spring or shock breaking.

"Keep isn't ground breaking" ? what does that mean. I do not understand. It sounds unintelligible.

libarata

Expedition Leader
"I'd prefer a mule or camel. Far better in deserts. Horses are kinda weak for extended travel."

Again, wrong. The Goat Cart is far better. Just air down!

DSC00606.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger