More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
How many expedition vehicles are fully stock? No bumper, tire or intake changes? Can one be driven off the showroom floor, loaded with gear and head into the bush?

I drove my bone-stock 9 year old TJ 40,000miles from Alaska to Argentina.

It never had a single breakdown or mechanical issue - it was perfect.

I think that meets your criteria.

-Dan

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

-Dan

But it's only 8ish thousand miles.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
...I don't get the reference.
Straight line, minimum deviation, it's about 18,000 miles from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra Del Fuego National Park.
I did some zig-zagging :)

-Dan

Site seeing. That would be a fun trip. Although paved most of the way :)

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

K2ZJ

Explorer

-Dan

I was going to say "Nope, impossible! Can't do that in a Jeep. I read it on the internet." But Flighht beat me to it. :(

Seriously though, that is awesome!

aluke0510

Adventurer
My point was that the Jeep is really looking like it can replace the defender and land cruiser the world over. There is a lot of evidence that it is being accepted all of the world. For the other part of your post about capacity I use an old 1968 ward field and stream popup tent trailer that I out fitted for off road use. All of the stuff that I do not need to get into before a trip is stored in the inside of the trailer. The containers that need replenishing are stored on top and secured with a rack. I use dehydrated food and a lot of water. The water is also stored on the outside with two Jerry can holders and on top of the trailer.
With the trailer I do not have to worry about not enough room for my stuff. I have more than enough room. Also after a trip I slide it into my garage and I am done with it. No unpacking. Also I have a two car garage. My land cruiser, jeep and trailer all fit in with no problem.
View attachment 233291View attachment 233292View attachment 233293View attachment 233294

Yeah, you obviously need to do some reading on what payload capacity means and gross combined weight rating. Basically with a Jeep like yours from the stock vehicle you are only allowed to to have somewhere around 2000lbs combined between modifications, fluids, passengers, trailer weight, and all your cargo. 2 passengers alone plus your fuel and modifications to the Jeep bring you to 500lbs or over. Trailer weight I am guessing is around 1000lbs. so you have to figure out how to keep all you camping supplies, 25+ gal water, food, conveniences under 500lbs if you even have that much capacity left. Not much payload there... A standard Defender is double that and the 110 HC is about triple that GCW...

For local weekend camping off some trails the new Jeeps is perfect but that isn't overland... There were a few older Jeeps that can be used reasonably well for Overland: CJ6, 7 (if you travel light and compact), and 8. I wouldn't classify new Jeeps as all too capable though unless you take an Unlimited and strip it to bare bones weight...

I have seen quite a few American cars overseas (still lower numbers than VW, bmw, toyota, mercedes, mitsubishi, nissan, land rover, suzuki, etc...), mostly Ford Rangers (not really American versions( the new Ranger is spectacular and out sells the hilux in a number of locations)) and a few Chevy and more Ford compact cars (again not really American versions though). Occasional Jeep Cherokee, and maybe 1 Jeep Wrangler out of 500-1000 Toyota, Mercedes, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, etc. There weren't necessarily overland as people there that live in the bush don't consider their daily life overland... And 3 full size Fords.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Little OT

But it seems that Jeep is back in the US military. Dont know so much about it. It is based on a JK and it is called Commando

"The initial units saw combat within the first few weeks of duty"

COMMANDO-Tactical-Vehicle-6.jpg

http://www.commandousa.com/

http://motusworld.com/2014/04/commando-tactical-vehicle/

JRCCRW

Land Rover which art on expedition, Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom’s been won,
Your treks be done, on earth, as also with Toyota
Give us this day your daily tread.
And forgive us our thoughts of other vehicles,
As we forgive those who post threads proclaiming Jeep as the leader of 4x4’s,
And lead us not into non-winchable situations
But deliver us from being pulled out by Jeeps,
For off road is your kingdom, only you have the power,
The glory is yours, forever and ever,
Amen.

F#@k Jeep!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Sorry about that-sure is lonely at the top !

Ya just gotta play the hand you've been dealt-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

aluke0510

Adventurer
Little OT

But it seems that Jeep is back in the US military. Dont know so much about it. It is based on a JK and it is called Commando

"The initial units saw combat within the first few weeks of duty"

COMMANDO-Tactical-Vehicle-6.jpg

http://www.commandousa.com/

http://motusworld.com/2014/04/commando-tactical-vehicle/

That is based on the J8 which was built primarily for Egypt and Israel (but probably used by others). It uses the overseas diesel, has a much stronger frame and axles to give it high payload capacity. Far from a JKU and would be awesome if all Jeeps were built this way. I't think it is really available anywhere for private ownership. They probably only make them on a quantity order and don't take the time to get them through safety or emissions laws anywhere. This would bring it into the class of Defenders and Land Cruisers. But most jeeps being sold don't need anything near that so it makes since for Chrysler to not offer this as it would drive cost up and most people looking at it when buying would not recognise the benefits or care. I don't think the J8 is really available anywhere for private ownership. They probably only make them (Egypt factory I think) on a quantity order and don't take the time to get them through safety or emissions laws anywhere.

tacr2man

Adventurer
I am afraid that I have to add to the chorus , and burst your bubble , jeep unfortunately are a image thing more than a serious consideration for overland travel in world outside mainland USA . They are just slightly ahead of the rest in the move away from a market , that is being rapidly abandoned by the 4x4 manufacturers , as it is just a niche , and is being for ever more heavily legislated out of existence due emissions and safety laws. Landrover will be not going past 2015 with defender in EU for sure , although India might still produce some for ROW . Toyota cant sell a lot of their range in EU or USA for that matter . Even Unimog are going to have to consider viability of a 3rd world usable vehicle , as even with euro 5 there are probs with using the it on low grade fuel .
Landrover kept defender , more as marketing tool , the big money is made by rangerover , discovery evoque etc . , if you look underneath most 4x4 they are built very light , not more than a all wheel drive car . JMHO

RoyJ

Adventurer
jeep unfortunately are a image thing more than a serious consideration for overland travel in world outside mainland USA

As far as "overlanding" goes, yes, I agree. That having been said, don't think Jeep every advertised their vehicles as "overland" platforms. Sure there's the Grand Cherokee "Overland", but only as a trim level name. Don't see it outfitted with jerry and water cans in the middle of Africa in their print ads.

As for offroading on technical trails, the Wrangler is FAR from just an image...

if you look underneath most 4x4 they are built very light , not more than a all wheel drive car . JMHO

Are you referring to car based crossovers? The LR3/4, RRS, and full size RR, are built much heavier than any all wheel drive car. As are Jeep Grand Cherokees, and obviously Wranglers. Even the Toureg and Cayenne, far from an all wheel drive car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78