More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

I find this to be a great verdict from Scott Brady

"Originally Posted by Scott Brady

I bought my first JK right off the lot in Denver, then strapped the EarthRoamer conversion to it and proceeded to drive it all the way to the Darien Gap. Zero failures in over two years of ownership, trips to Baja, trips to the NE, etc. I took one of the XV-JPs over the Rubicon too- nothing wrong.

The Overland JK is even more shocking. It is an S2 first article truck that spent a summer on the Rubicon trail with journalists, then was a Superlift development vehicle, then was turned over to Fourwheeler for the Border to Border trip, then we finally got it and have put another 30,000 miles on it, including using it as a training vehicle for the US military! Again, not a single solitary mechanical failure. Nothing.

Jonathan's Editor's Jeep was brand new and he put nearly 40,000 miles on it which includes the miles of dirt road to his house and a bunch of trips. Not a single mechanical failure.

On our Central America trip, there were actually three JKs, all purchased by the owners. Three trucks representing over 30,000 miles of combined, overloaded miles through jungle, dirt roads, beaches, volcanoes, etc. Not a single mechanical failure.

Believe me, I have experienced the worst of what Jeep can offer (I owned two ZJ Grand Cherokees!), but these JKs have been perfect, at least for us and our immediate travel partners."

From http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...10-Used-Overland-Vehicles-Do-you-agree/page16

Some intresting movies with Scott and Wrangler

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thank you OMAR-everso

Hi

I find this to be a great verdict from Scott Brady

"Originally Posted by Scott Brady

I bought my first JK right off the lot in Denver, then strapped the EarthRoamer conversion to it and proceeded to drive it all the way to the Darien Gap. Zero failures in over two years of ownership, trips to Baja, trips to the NE, etc. I took one of the XV-JPs over the Rubicon too- nothing wrong.

The Overland JK is even more shocking. It is an S2 first article truck that spent a summer on the Rubicon trail with journalists, then was a Superlift development vehicle, then was turned over to Fourwheeler for the Border to Border trip, then we finally got it and have put another 30,000 miles on it, including using it as a training vehicle for the US military! Again, not a single solitary mechanical failure. Nothing.

Jonathan's Editor's Jeep was brand new and he put nearly 40,000 miles on it which includes the miles of dirt road to his house and a bunch of trips. Not a single mechanical failure.

On our Central America trip, there were actually three JKs, all purchased by the owners. Three trucks representing over 30,000 miles of combined, overloaded miles through jungle, dirt roads, beaches, volcanoes, etc. Not a single mechanical failure.

Believe me, I have experienced the worst of what Jeep can offer (I owned two ZJ Grand Cherokees!), but these JKs have been perfect, at least for us and our immediate travel partners."

From http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...10-Used-Overland-Vehicles-Do-you-agree/page16

Some intresting movies with Scott and Wrangler

No surprise, just impressed by Scotts adventures-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

SDFam4

I own a Rubicon and would never say it's the top overland vehicle. Love it to pieces, love overland romanticism but am honest with myself. This thread is sad. :) Even if Jeep was the most amazing top dog, who the heck cares??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

draganof

Observer
I own nothing but Jeeps but this thread is ridiculous. It is not what this site is for. If you need to stir up things go over to NXJA. You will fit right in. The majority of us that come here do so to share our adventures and learn from others. Please go away and leave us alone.

marktutone

Adventurer
I own nothing but Jeeps but this thread is ridiculous. It is not what this site is for. If you need to stir up things go over to NXJA. You will fit right in. The majority of us that come here do so to share our adventures and learn from others. Please go away and leave us alone.
You have got to be kidding me. You sound like a little girl who doesn't want her hop scotch lines messed up. If you do not like the thread don't read it. There are plenty of other threads in this forum.

marktutone

Adventurer
I own a Rubicon and would never say it's the top overland vehicle. Love it to pieces, love overland romanticism but am honest with myself. This thread is sad. :) Even if Jeep was the most amazing top dog, who the heck cares??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This site is also about product support. Toyota and Land Rover have dominated the Overland market for years. It seems they do not care about the 4x4 market in North America. No D110 or LC70 are not sold in North America. Jeep has been there for a long time and now is the only 4x4 vehicle sold with solid front and rear axles on the market for North America that is not a giant truck. At present all of my adventures are in the United States. I have to work. Most of the people on this site that live in the United States will be limited in their travels. Jeep seems the only company listening to people like Overlanders. It is not sad to have these conversations. These conversations build enthusiasm for the rigs that individuals are driving. Also I think that the Jeep is one of the best overland vehicles. I own a 1997 LC FZJ80 and I have packed it up and gone out. It is a nice vehicle but I have learned that I personally like using a trailer better. I could never quite get enough stuff into the LC. With a trailer I don't have to worry. I always have enough room. That is why I bought a Jeep TJ. Also there is nothing wrong with overland romanticism. I work very hard as a Biomedical Equipment Technician and there is nothing but bad news when you watch the evening news so a little romanticism to take your mind off of things is a good thing.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy from Sweden

I do like this thread and the debate and almost all of us already know that Jeep aint leader in 4x4 overland vehicle. I have to point out that it is posted in a Jeep forum, so some of us is biased:) and it is posted in a vehicle forum so I dont find it strange that You want to discuss other potential overlanding vehicle, I do se that positive not negative. Anyway I like al 4x4 and think it is very intresting to read al about them and I think it would be intresting for al to read al the intresting articles and videos posted here, I learn something and You learn something about different potential overlanding vehicle. For thoose that dont have a overlanding vehicle this thread is great because it points out different popular overland vehicles, like a buyers guide. Next week Iam taking out to ladies for a 2 day camping trip, and Iam packing now with some luxury stuff and it is slightly difficult to get it to fit in my Unlimited Wrangler. The Unlimited Wrangler is huge but for overlanding it aint with rather smallish interior space and low payload. But that is funny as a had a very small 4x4 Suzuki Jimny before as a naturephotograpy vehicle. Then I meet a girl and we wanted to go camping and we did not have so much camping stuff so it was not such a big problem. My Suzuki was 12 years old and I wanted a newer vehicle and Jimy was not for sale in Sweden anymore so I looked at the 2 door Wrangler. But at first me and my girlfriend thought that was a to big vehicle, it was hugh we thought.

137279586.jpg

I got the 2 door Wrangler and I was little bit affraid to drive such big and wide vehicle, but got used to it. It had slightly more space than my Jimny

144151258.jpg

After a while I wanted to bring more people and camping stuff and thought I needed a bigger vehicle and as a already had a 2 door Jeep I could move many jeep stuff to a unlimited. I saw unlimited Rubicon 2013 10th Anniversary at my dealer and Sweden only got 13 of them. I feel in love with the awesome look.

152458494.jpg

Do I need a Rubicon, probably not as I dont do rockcrawling but feel in love with the look at the cool hood that the 10th Anniversary has. But I felt why not have added security with lockers if I get stucked in snow or mud.

One thing I do like with the wrangler is that they have alot and cheap accessories. Not cheap but I do like my Front runner interior rack, easier to load stuff.

155855307.jpg

I have looked a little bit at the 4runner at the internet, looks nice with more interior room and payload but sadly they dont sell that model in Europe. Offen it is a tradeoff, bigger vehicle will get more space and payload but probably cost more to buy and drive and might have worse turning circle and feel less nimble and could be a problem with they hight of my garage. The more I learn the more I know what my next overlanding vehicle would be. Now when I have the unlimited should I have done different, I dont think so.
Me and my girlfriend tried out several vehicles and a Jeep unlimited and when we came to Landrover we saw a Defender 110, looked awesome, we jumped in and my girlfriend sad directly no way! It has a terrible driving position, it has only a stick, the interior looks old, will not fit my garage, cost much more than a Wrangler.
So after some years I will have a new 4x4 and we have to see what the different vehicle manufactures can offer as the optimal overlanding/camping vehicle for me, it might be a Toyota or Landrover:ylsmoke:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
. Toyota and Land Rover have dominated the Overland market for years. It seems they do not care about the 4x4 market in North America. No D110 or LC70 are not sold in North America. .

Safety

When I buy a Vehicle I want some safety like airbags and stability control and such, I do care about my life and my passengers. My Wrangler is my only vehicle. I know that the Wrangler aint the safest but probably safer than a defender that lacks airbags and ESP.

The Suzuki Jimny disapeared from Sweden because it lacks esp and then failed the moosetest. Remember Samurai, with al the rollovers in US and got forbidden

I am happy that US have stringet safety laws that forbid vehicles like Landrover Defender and Landcruiser 70 series. Dont get me wrong I like this vehicles but the should have some safety. It aint US fault, :ar15: it is Landrover and Toyotas fault. It is year 2014.

I posted this before as a remainder

"Mining companies shun hard-working 70-series over its lack of safety equipment." from Australia
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...ger-first-pick-for-miners-20131114-2xhqr.html

Landrover failed the Moosetest because it lacks ESP. From (translated via google) https://translate.google.se/transla...rbel-bei-den-haendlern-731019.html&edit-text=

image-fotoshowImage-c6bd31e2-69959.jpg

Defender will get ESP in 2015

https://translate.google.se/transla...-in-die-verlaengerung-8333085.html&edit-text=

US think Defender aint safe for the roads

After a while I hope that Toyota and Landrover listen to US safety rules so US can import them again.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
It seems they do not care about the 4x4 market in North America. No D110 or LC70 are not sold in North America. Jeep has been there for a long time and now is the only 4x4 vehicle sold with solid front and rear axles on the market for North America that is not a giant truck. At present all of my adventures are in the United States.

Well, first I think it is important to designate what 'overland' even means as it seems to range from camping trips in state parks with picnic tables to trips around the globe depending on who is using the word. Either way it is facetious at best to say Toyota has ignored either spectrum of that market in the US. The US Spec Tacoma, 4Runner and Land Cruiser have already shown there are great 'overland' platforms throughout the US and the Americas and they are being used by thousands of members of this forum in fact, probably in greater numbers than even Jeep owners? You have this preconceived notion that an 'overland' vehicle must have a solid-axle. Do tell why that is such a hangup for you? Keep in mind the IFS Toyota Hilux is extremely common for use throughout the world, everywhere in Australia and South America. In fact in my recent travels through Argentina and Chile, I'd suspect the Hilux outnumbers a Jeep of any variety by 1000 to 1? To be fair 4Runner's, Land Cruiser Prado's and Hilux are super common while the Land Cruiser proper and Jeep's are both in fact a rare site in the southern half of South America in my travels here.

Also I think that the Jeep is one of the best overland vehicles.

Well at least your backing off your 'The #1' approach to this conversation ;)

I think it is naive to think there is a #1 at all, what there is however is a #1 for you, a #1 for him and a #1 for me. And that #1 will change along with both your definition of 'overland' and the 'overland' trips your taking. I'm currently on an 'overland' trip that wouldn't be suitable for a Tacoma for example, the truck I'm most often driving (VDJ78) has a much greater load capacity and it isn't unheard of for us to have 1200-1500 lbs of load in the truck. However if I'm going to do a run across the Pony Express Trail on dirt from SLC,UT to South Lake Taho, CA or a Utah Cruiser Expedition trip (Part II and Part III)... I'm right at home in an IFS rig and in fact I'd argue they are the better choice at least in the Toyota lineup. I totally get that the JK is your #1 and I think everyone would agree with that, but when you try and pin that #1 on the entire 'overland' market from a trip through the White Rim Trail to Canning Stock Route assault, your going to get this exact result.

...I am happy that US have stringet safety laws that forbid vehicles like Landrover Defender and Landcruiser 70 series. Dont get me wrong I like this vehicles but the should have some safety. It aint US fault, :ar15: it is Landrover and Toyotas fault. It is year 2014...

The latest generation of 70 Series is a safe vehicle, airbags, ABS. They are not over-burden with safety systems such as traction control which leads to their ultimate reliability in the field and ease of maintenance & repair. Toyota hasn't imported the 70 Series to the US because they don't need to, it isn't going to sell at the price tag it would have and they would have to 'nanny' it up a bit to meet US CAFE and crash standards. For the small percentage that would pay the $60k+ for the vehicle, the market won't yield imo. Jeep isn't far behind, CAFE and crash standards will continue to eliminate body on frame SUV's and light trucks.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Very logical and to the obvious point-

Well said-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

marktutone

Adventurer
Funny how they didn't use one on their trip.

Again don't confuse popularity with the top choice.

Justin Beiber is very popular...
I guess you did not watch the video. Look at the seen when they camp at the volcano. There are 3 jeeps, 3 Tacoma's and 1 70 series.
Again Grimbo you are the one confused.
You should spend more time in this forum and stay out of the Justin Beiber fan site it is clouding your judgment.

marktutone

Adventurer
Well, first I think it is important to designate what 'overland' even means as it seems to range from camping trips in state parks with picnic tables to trips around the globe depending on who is using the word. Either way it is facetious at best to say Toyota has ignored either spectrum of that market in the US. The US Spec Tacoma, 4Runner and Land Cruiser have already shown there are great 'overland' platforms throughout the US and the Americas and they are being used by thousands of members of this forum in fact, probably in greater numbers than even Jeep owners? You have this preconceived notion that an 'overland' vehicle must have a solid-axle. Do tell why that is such a hangup for you? Keep in mind the IFS Toyota Hilux is extremely common for use throughout the world, everywhere in Australia and South America. In fact in my recent travels through Argentina and Chile, I'd suspect the Hilux outnumbers a Jeep of any variety by 1000 to 1? To be fair 4Runner's, Land Cruiser Prado's and Hilux are super common while the Land Cruiser proper and Jeep's are both in fact a rare site in the southern half of South America in my travels here.

Well at least your backing off your 'The #1' approach to this conversation ;)

I think it is naive to think there is a #1 at all, what there is however is a #1 for you, a #1 for him and a #1 for me. And that #1 will change along with both your definition of 'overland' and the 'overland' trips your taking. I'm currently on an 'overland' trip that wouldn't be suitable for a Tacoma for example, the truck I'm most often driving (VDJ78) has a much greater load capacity and it isn't unheard of for us to have 1200-1500 lbs of load in the truck. However if I'm going to do a run across the Pony Express Trail on dirt from SLC,UT to South Lake Taho, CA or a Utah Cruiser Expedition trip (Part II and Part III)... I'm right at home in an IFS rig and in fact I'd argue they are the better choice at least in the Toyota lineup. I totally get that the JK is your #1 and I think everyone would agree with that, but when you try and pin that #1 on the entire 'overland' market from a trip through the White Rim Trail to Canning Stock Route assault, your going to get this exact result.

The latest generation of 70 Series is a safe vehicle, airbags, ABS. They are not over-burden with safety systems such as traction control which leads to their ultimate reliability in the field and ease of maintenance & repair. Toyota hasn't imported the 70 Series to the US because they don't need to, it isn't going to sell at the price tag it would have and they would have to 'nanny' it up a bit to meet US CAFE and crash standards. For the small percentage that would pay the $60k+ for the vehicle, the market won't yield imo. Jeep isn't far behind, CAFE and crash standards will continue to eliminate body on frame SUV's and light trucks.

You are right I do have a hang up with IFS. I broke an A arm on the trail that left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I know that could have happened on any vehicle but I feel safer with a solid axle. Also I have found the articulation is better with a solid axle.
As far as the number one thing is concerned I new if I used such verbiage in this thread it would stimulate conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger