More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

jdlobb

Adventurer
guess what its still a minivan engine. my 3.8 gets me around just fine, the 3.6 has its own pile of issues. at least the 3.8 is rock solid. no head problems or such.

an engine is an engine, whether they put it in a mini van or a sports car. Gas goes in, power comes out. It's silly to call something a "mini-van engine"

thedjjack

Dream it build it
an engine is an engine, whether they put it in a mini van or a sports car. Gas goes in, power comes out. It's silly to call something a "mini-van engine"

Unless you need usable power.... an engine with 400hp @ 9500rpm is not going to be a good crawling motor... so an engine is not an engine.... little more to it... not saying it is not tuned for the Jeep. but 0-60 times and 1/4mile times are not important in my truck...

torque is, fuel mileage is, usable power band is....

jdlobb

Adventurer
Unless you need usable power.... an engine with 400hp @ 9500rpm is not going to be a good crawling motor... so an engine is not an engine.... little more to it... not saying it is not tuned for the Jeep. but 0-60 times and 1/4mile times are not important in my truck...

torque is, fuel mileage is, usable power band is....

you misundersand. obviously engines are different from each other with regards to performance and features. However, the same engine is still the name no matter what it's in.

Look at the GM L76 for a great example. I had one in my G8 GT, where it was a high performance sports sedan engine, that ran me sub 13 second 1/4s. I know people however who have the exact same engine in their Chevy Silverados.

So does the G8 have a truck engine? or does the Silverado have a sports car engine?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

Exactly. It drives me nuts when people call the 3.8 a minivan engine. Using their logic, so is their beloved 3.6.

FJC Scout

Observer
Exactly. It drives me nuts when people call the 3.8 a minivan engine. Using their logic, so is their beloved 3.6.

You know I worded the question the way I did because I knew it would drive the Jeep users crazy and I was right. This question has been red hot since I put it up. I own a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and it is a great vehicle but it isn't nearly past its prime. Toyota has decided to go down the road that is good for people who go off road. All the new Toyotas have gas by wire, just like Jeeps, meaning there is not a mechanical connection only electronic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimbo

Explorer
Anybody got a pic of this thing?

nevahy5e.jpg

Best I have in me about to go snow driving so will no doubt grab some pics today

Not much snow
7uzarajy.jpg

uzumebuv.jpg

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
This thread cracks me up for starters. Its the first one I check when I get home just to see what ridiculous things are being said. I am not a world traveler, more of a car camper. So I can't speak to Jeeps ranking in global overlanding, but I will say I love my Jeep. Gets me everywhere I need to go (and then some) without any major meltdowns.

I believe the history of Jeep has something to do with the origin of the phrase. See from 1972 to 2006 some form of the inline six was used in the CJ/Wrangler. So in 2007 when Jeep put the 3.8L V6, a motor only used in minivans from 1994-2006, "enthusiasts" used derogatory terms for the "new" motor. The 3.6L doesn't get the same rap because it is a widely used motor (but anything but an inline six sucks). When new models come out that are different then the old in substantial form there is normally some backlash. Trust me I know, I drive a Cherokee (XJ not KL, that new thing is ugly:)).

MR.Ty

Observer
This thread cracks me up for starters. Its the first one I check when I get home just to see what ridiculous things are being said. I am not a world traveler, more of a car camper. So I can't speak to Jeeps ranking in global overlanding, but I will say I love my Jeep. Gets me everywhere I need to go (and then some) without any major meltdowns.

I believe the history of Jeep has something to do with the origin of the phrase. See from 1972 to 2006 some form of the inline six was used in the CJ/Wrangler. So in 2007 when Jeep put the 3.8L V6, a motor only used in minivans from 1994-2006, "enthusiasts" used derogatory terms for the "new" motor. The 3.6L doesn't get the same rap because it is a widely used motor (but anything but an inline six sucks). When new models come out that are different then the old in substantial form there is normally some backlash. Trust me I know, I drive a Cherokee (XJ not KL, that new thing is ugly:)).
Lol I like the new Cherokee. They could do something about the blinkers up front but that is it. Did you get the eight speed trans? Heard that it was phenomenal.

docwatson

Adventurer
Haha I have the old Cherokee 1998 but when I can afford the new one I will buy it. I think they are top notch. I just had to take the opposite position in my post for emphasis.

MR.Ty

Observer
Haha I have the old Cherokee 1998 but when I can afford the new one I will buy it. I think they are top notch. I just had to take the opposite position in my post for emphasis.
Damn I read the last part of your first post sooo wrong. Ha.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You know I worded the question the way I did because I knew it would drive the Jeep users crazy and I was right. This question has been red hot since I put it up. I own a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and it is a great vehicle but it isn't nearly past its prime. Toyota has decided to go down the road that is good for people who go off road. All the new Toyotas have gas by wire, just like Jeeps, meaning there is not a mechanical connection only electronic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wont hold it against you for buying a wannabe jeep.

da10A

Adventurer
Lol.. Just saw a friend that I hadn't seen in the longest time. At one point, we both had similar modified TJ Saharas.

Anyways, he showed up in an FJ Cruiser. So we started talking mods and stuff. Then he goes.... Apparently, the FJ Cruiser is the only vehicle that can outdo a JK Rubicon!!!!! I smiled and laughed in my head, thinking of this thread and told him I didn't know.... He went on about how stronger and virtually bullet proof everything is compared to JKs etc.... I just listened and then changed the subject...😀

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle