More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marktutone

Adventurer
"jdillard" So I'd argue that a large part of the JKU's popularity lies in the fact that it encompasses this romantic notion of adventure. It looks the part, much like a Defender or an old FJ, or some monstrous Unicat. And I think that's a great thing. Perhaps on my list of vehicle requirements, I should place "adds excitement and romance to the journey" at the top.

I agree 100%.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I made up a comparison chart in 2013 between the big three remaining utilities from Toyota, Jeep and Land Rover. You may have seen it posted before, but I'll post it again. I also have a comparison of the diesel versions of all three. I tried to closely match the three cars, but of course it's tough to find the specs of all three for one market. I found the compilation to be tedious and time consuming, but it was fun to see the results. Of course, they really mean nothing because I don't have the budget to travel around and test all three. I'm posting this for entertainment only, as I love all three and would own all three if I won the lotto!
Scan_Pic0002_zps9b1cd2f9.jpg

Scan_Pic0004_zps8fe6c9d1.jpg

This last one has some pricing info. I took MSRP and used a currency calculator. Enjoy!
Scan_Pic0003_zpsb5a977b1.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think you need to seek professional help as soon as possible. I hope you do not work for the postal service.

Capital Health
902-460-7402

He's just sour that he bought a Suzuki after all the cool models were discontinued and all he got was a rebadged chev tracker.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Maybe little OT

But in Australia they have a race similar to Dakar rally, called Australasian Safari Tour. And Jeep entered with 2 stock (almost) Rubicon X, they wanted to show how good it was stock? and probably all other vehicles in this Safari race are have modified suspensions and tires etc. The Rubicon tires are not the BFG for the Rubicon overseas, it is Goodyear Wrangler tires.

From page

"Jeep Australia wanted to keep the Rubicon X vehicles bone stock for this torture test, right down to standard shocks and tyres"

The bad

"The standard shocks didn't fare so well and were pretty much junk halfway through each stage. You wouldn't expect any OE shock to put up with this treatment and that's why the competition vehicles have thousands of dollars spent on each corner of their suspension." I wonder if they changed the standard shocks after every stage (Leg)?

Se the video and text here http://www.4x4australia.com.au/expl...ri-tour-rubicon-x/#australasian-safari-tour-4

Other video here. Do You notice that the have taken away the rear sparewheel and moved the rear brake light to the rear window. Probably the rear spare wheel holder on the tailgate could be damage on the fast speeds and bumps?

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Forgott to mension, I think they got Sahara shocks on theres Rubicons in Australia. I have a export Rubicon 2013 unlimited 10th Anniversary here in Sweden and I have black shocks and in my build sheet it says "SDUS Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks"

And on Jeep.com it states that Sahara have "Heavy Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks" and Rubicon have "Performance Suspension" from here http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/d...4A,CUJ201507JKJS74C&section=engine_mechanical

I dont know what the difference is but I think the red Rubicon shocks are tougher than the Sahara shocks. The sport have Normal Duty suspension.

tunar

Other video here. Do You notice that the have taken away the rear sparewheel and moved the rear brake light to the rear window. Probably the rear spare wheel holder on the tailgate could be damage on the fast speeds and bumps?[/video]

For the race they carry 2 spares so it makes sense to keep them both inside and strapped down. It also keeps the CoG low and central.

Quill

Adventurer
i have 3 old Jeeps currently, I've had 3 or 4 modern ones. Frankly I wouldn't state what is best as that depends on everyone's personal preference. If it is off road capable then you can go off road. Heck a 2wd will get you more places than you think. I really think if you like going off road or over landing you should be skilled enough to take any vehicle that can get the job done. Not long ago a guy took a Crown Victoria up the rocks at Moab. An outdoor author in the 70s took a motor home into the back country of Wyoming hunting if I remember correctly. Everyone else took 4x4s. The big motor home went everywhere, crossing washes over brush and whatnot. These people know their vehicles and how to handle them. Personally I wouldn't these days but in my 20s I went places in a Ford Courier 2 wd that would make most cringe. My wife was pregnant at the time. Later I tore up the under side of a Honda Accord on a lot logging roads and it kept on going as a daily driver. I prefer 4x4s in my older years. Jeep does deserve the respect of everyone as being the first that everyone copied. After copying they branched out and did their own thing. Jeep is not as popular in the world mainly because the US government quit using them and giving them to other countries now for over 30 years. Pick your own favorite but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

marktutone

Adventurer
i have 3 old Jeeps currently, I've had 3 or 4 modern ones. Frankly I wouldn't state what is best as that depends on everyone's personal preference. If it is off road capable then you can go off road. Heck a 2wd will get you more places than you think. I really think if you like going off road or over landing you should be skilled enough to take any vehicle that can get the job done. Not long ago a guy took a Crown Victoria up the rocks at Moab. An outdoor author in the 70s took a motor home into the back country of Wyoming hunting if I remember correctly. Everyone else took 4x4s. The big motor home went everywhere, crossing washes over brush and whatnot. These people know their vehicles and how to handle them. Personally I wouldn't these days but in my 20s I went places in a Ford Courier 2 wd that would make most cringe. My wife was pregnant at the time. Later I tore up the under side of a Honda Accord on a lot logging roads and it kept on going as a daily driver. I prefer 4x4s in my older years. Jeep does deserve the respect of everyone as being the first that everyone copied. After copying they branched out and did their own thing. Jeep is not as popular in the world mainly because the US government quit using them and giving them to other countries now for over 30 years. Pick your own favorite but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

I agree with everything you said. Toyota and Land Rover dominated the overlander type of buyer for years. Toyota and Land Rover have gone their own way into to the super luxury vehicle market. The defender ends production next year. The Land Cruiser 70 series is not sold in the U.S. It is my perception that Jeep is the only company still catering to the real 4x4/overlander crowd. Sales worldwide are up now because they have a vehicle that a niche market wants. Personally I do not like way most 4x4 vehicles look these days. I don't know why Toyota does not sale a retro designed FJ40. If they did they would not be able to keep up with production. ICON modernizes the FJ40 and sell them for over $100,000 U.S. Dollars.
[video]http://www.commonao.com/2014/12/08/icon-fj-89/[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998