Mortonm's 2001 Xterra Build

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Dessert runners are 15"s so I'm running the 32 11.50 15's. I agree the winch bumper is rarely used. I've used it to its full extent in Moab, Utah if it wasn't for that trip I can't say its helped much here in the midwest. If I did it again I'd likely go with a lighter weight custom bumper. I like the custom winch mounts with the factory bumpers as well. Yeah a winch inspires confidence just like lockers. I bought a winch for those solo expedition trips a piece of mind purchase. Front locker makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of offroading makes it much more comforting and easy. As far as suspension goes I'd keep it low in height the higher you go the harder and more strange it handles. Also wears out front end components much faster. A lift kit almost requires steering upgrades. If your going to put money in anything steering is a good investment as stock it just can't take the blows of offroad travel.

Right, I forgot the desert runners are 15s, probably my favorite looking set of OEM wheels for these trucks. Thats a pretty good size tire, its too bad they dont make a 32 x 10 R 15 or similar or I would probably be running 15s myself
thank you, I have been thinking of refreshing some of the bushings and tie rod ends etc soon, I just havent gotten around to it yet.

stioc

Expedition Leader
BTW, speaking of tires, have you measured the diameter yourself btw? I measured mine and at the proper psi for my truck (35psi) the tire was only 29.25" - this is supposed to be a 30.4" tire (245/75/16).

mortonm

Expedition Leader
BTW, speaking of tires, have you measured the diameter yourself btw? I measured mine and at the proper psi for my truck (35psi) the tire was only 29.25" - this is supposed to be a 30.4" tire (245/75/16).

I have. At 45 psi ( load range E) I measured about 31.2 give or take.

That was unloaded. Supposed to measure out to 31.7. So loaded? I figure I would be at or just under 31".

Stiffer sidewall and higher PSI might account for the relative differences we see.

Blighty

Gravel Bike Racer, Bushcraft Wannabee
Looking good man. I was (and still am) a VW fanatic (user blighty on vw vortex). I ran Mkiv's until I got bored of being to low. Not I'm on the path of functionality, fin and versatility!

The BBS Ch's did look good though!

Get er' done!

blighty

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Looking good man. I was (and still am) a VW fanatic (user blighty on vw vortex). I ran Mkiv's until I got bored of being to low. Not I'm on the path of functionality, fin and versatility!

The BBS Ch's did look good though!

Get er' done!

blighty

Thanks man. I was on vortex as well. It was a great car. Looked great pretty quick (was chipped) and good gas mileage. It was just becoming expensive to maintain and I was always obssing about getting it dirty or door dings. It was so liberating moving to the Xterra.

Last edited:

Blighty

Gravel Bike Racer, Bushcraft Wannabee
Thanks man. I was on vortex as well. It was a great car. Looked great pretty quick (was chipped) and goog gas mileage. It was just becoming expensive to maintain and I was always obssing about getting it dirty or door dings. It was so liberating moving to the Xterra.

I agree. I spent more time cleaning it and caring about the styling. Now I'm in an Outback that is pretty functional but an Xterra is definitely an option down the line. Looking forward to seeing yours grow.

Cheers

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Sort of a weird issue popped up recently. Yesterday I noticed a fine oil splatter down the driver side of my truck. I couldn't see any issues with the front shock (its brand new in December anyways). I do have a small leak in the rear main seal but its been doing that for months and I haven't noticed this before

I got to work today and it was worse. I also noticed there is a splatter coming off the rear tire as well as the front. Its inside both wheel wells. I wouldn't call it a lot but its about half way up the doors.

Any thoughts? Ran through the same oily puddle two days in a row?

I just don't see how anything could leak from the engine area enough to get back to my rear tires and be thrown up.

I am going to the inlaws this weekend for tire rotation and oil change so I will take another look when I get it up on the hoist.

I checked the oil level, about half way down the dipstick after 7500 km.

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
If it's in the wheels I would check axle seals. My friend has oil inside 2 of his wheels because of leaking axles seals.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
If it's in the wheels I would check axle seals. My friend has oil inside 2 of his wheels because of leaking axles seals.

I had thought of that. But both front and back driver side seals giving way at the same time? That's why I'm scratching my head.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah I'd look over the brakes to see if oil is dragging across the rotor or drum. Only sure fire way to know. If it is a axle seal it would have that.... stink. Though I admit it would be rare that both go out at the same time.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I took a closer look yesterday afternoon. The oil is really light and no odour.

I am almost positive now that I ran something over and I just thought it got bigger the second day.

Inside the front wheel well there is a 5 inch wide oily patch perfectly cutoff at the sides running inside the well exactly where it would spin off the tires. I can't see any oil further inside and definitely nothing near the shocks brakes axles etc

stioc

Expedition Leader
If it's a seal on the strut you should be able to see oil on the strut's shaft and likely a line down the strut housing if it's leaking bad enough to make it to the tire and splash on the fender liner. The CV and balljoint are easy to inspect for torn boots too.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the ideas. Definitely going to have a good look when I get th tires off this weekend.

In another note, I saw on pathguy's update earlier today he got the Ironman suspension. I looked them up and they don't have anything for the first gen Xterra.

They do however carry suspension parts for the navarra, which I think was the same as the frontier. I just have to see if the torsion bars and leaf springs would fit. The lift is for about 1.5" perfect for what I would want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger