Most economical way carry two to five gallons of extra fuel on a JK.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Planning a cross country trip next fall and would like to carry two to five gallons of fuel with us. I would love to have AEVs fuel/tire carrier but its out of the budget. I was looking into Rotopax or a tire rack carrier that could hold a fuel can. Any thoughts on these, any other suggestions?

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Been looking at the Rotopax and the Olympic 4x4 spare tire mount. For 43.00 seems like a cheaper,less complicated way of doing the same thing.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

I am not an expert but everyone say that the tailgate can not even hold the stock tire. If you look in the manual it states "If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire" and a Rubicon wheel weigh more than 50lbs. It is sad that the tailgate is so weak. There should come real mounts for a jerrycan somewhere at the back from the factory. Some that have diesel vehicle have diesel jerrycans in the vehicle because diesel is less dangerous. As the tailgate are flimsy, why dont anyone offer a bracket for a rotopax or similar to be mounted under the vehicle, that would be a great solution, could also carry water that way.

If You look at many pictures You se offen that they also have a tire rack carrier that support the weight but offen dont mension it in the text

jeep-gas-can-roto-pax-on-tj.gif

Last edited:

OH9JK

Observer
Smittybilt makes a "universal" carrier (about $30). I have seen several guys fab up adapter brackets to mount them on the gate or hinges.

For a hitch check the JK forums out. There are OEM take offs for sale quite often.

TripLeader

Explorer
Take off your spare tire and strap it down securely inside the back of the Jeep. Then mount a Rotopax (or something similar) to the spare tire mount.
-
That is about the least expensive way I can think of, and weight on the tailgate won't be an issue.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's one that mounts on the spare carrier, fits the JK, TJ, YJ and CJ. Supports jerry cans or NATO cans. It's not on the market yet but was introduced at SEMA in November and will be available very soon.

JKJerrySpare_zpsd6c51d6d.jpg

BlackNATO3_zps27841c18.jpg

For the record: I am not an employee of the company that's producing this product.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Really like that. Can you tell me the name of whos producing it?

The company is called MOR/Ryde (http://www.morryde.com/), they're one of the largest manufacturers of RV components and accessories in the U.S., and for some years they've also indirectly been in the Jeep market because they manufacture suspension components for one of the best known Jeep lift/suspension companies. This past year they decided they wanted to be in the Jeep market themselves, so they introduced four new products at the SEMA show; the spare-mounted jerry can holder was just one of them.

The products should be on the market very soon, I talked to them last week and they're in the process of talking with all the leads they got at SEMA to decide on the best distribution channel for their products - the big Jeep catalogs, 4WD shops, their own web site, etc.

If anyone would like to be notified when the products are available, they tell me you can click the "Contact Us" link on their web site and tell them you're interested in the jerry can holder - I think they're keeping a list of people who want to be informed.

BTW here are the other products they introduced at SEMA:

ProductPosters1024_zpsa3d12010.jpg

For the record: I am not a MOR/Ryde employee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78