Motivation to review the basics!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Last Friday night we were camped at Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley. We had arrived in late afternoon and all of the nearby designated remote campsites were taken and we did not have time to find a spot in the back country. So we pulled into the RV/campground area and grabbed a spot, cooked dinner and snuggled into the tent.

With both kids in the tent I never really fall completely asleep, sort of a one eye open protective instinct I guess. It must have been about 2am when I had a dream. The LOUD squawking sound distinctive only to tires skidding sideways on pavement followed by a series of rumbling thumps and crashes accented with some broken glass and then complete silence.

Not a dream after all! I sat straight up in the tent looked over at my wife Amy, who had been startled awake by my movement and said "there's been an accident, it sounded like a rollover!"

I put on my boots, unfortunately forgetting my pants but had boxers on, while Amy found and handed me the flashlight. I grabbed the medical bag from the truck and headed towards the yellow glow of a flashing turn signal about 200 yards away.

The vehicle, a small SUV, had skidded and rolled coming to rest about 30 feet off the road on its passenger side with the roof towards the paved road. The passenger had climbed out of the vehicle and was laying on the ground, the driver was out walking round the vehicle and collecting their posessions. The campground security had called the on-duty EMT and there were two other people on site to help.

I received my WFR certification a couple of months ago and since the class I have not had much exposure to using it. Needless to say this situation was a bit surreal. The EMT was said to be about 10 minutes out so I jumped in. I asked the other two people to help, one to hold the light and the other to stabilize the head of the passenger who was laying on the ground. I checked ABC and did a blood sweep while asking the passenger lots of questions to measure his LOR.

By the time I had located his pulse the EMT arrived. I told the EMT what I had gathered up to this point, he asked my level of training, I asked if he could use my help, he said yes.... wow, this is exactly what my WFR instructors said would happen. We grabbed a few bags out of the EMT truck and went back to the passenger. The EMT said we needed to put a collar on him, told me where to find the trauma sheers and asked me to make room for the collar. So there I was, no questions, cutting off this guys nice jacket and vest. I was impressed how trauma shears will go through anything with little effort.

With the collar on and another EMT and ambulance now on scene we strapped the passenger onto a backboard, loaded him into the ambulance and the two professionals continued to do their fine work. They drove off about a mile into the desert and thirty minutes later a helicopter arrived to take the passenger to a hospital in Las Vegas. I can only imagine if this rollover had happened anywhere else in Death Valley, these guys lucked out and had people there to help within minutes.

I learned a few things:
- Stop and take the time to put your pants on.
- I give a pretty lame verbal SOAP report.
- Keep a watch or timer in your medical kit, along with a headlamp.
- EMTs are cool.
- It is well worth the time to re-read your training materials on a regular basis, I jumped right back into my books when we got home.

Brian

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Kudos Brian for your efforts and quick thinking.

But how did they have a rollover in Stovepipe Wells? On the road coming down the hill? I don't get it, unless they swerved to avoid a coyote. Was alcohol involved at 2am or did the driver just nod off?

That's a great bonus story to your trip that will never happen to most people. Good job!

:beer:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
LOL...after a while you'll be calm enough to stop and figure out which pair of pants would be least likely to stain if they get blood on 'em...then walk to the scene, whilst putting on your gloves.

SOAP reports are kinda tough without practice. I try to go over 'em in my head with made-up scenarios.

EMS sin pantalones....

Way to go McVickers!

-H-

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
But how did they have a rollover in Stovepipe Wells? On the road coming down the hill? I don't get it, unless they swerved to avoid a coyote. Was alcohol involved at 2am or did the driver just nod off?

I was wondering the same thing.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I'm just giggling about what it might have looked like for the crash victim to suddenly see a half-naked man running towards him...

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos Brian for your efforts and quick thinking.

That baffled me a bit too.
Looking at the road the next morning there are no corners or curves and only a slight decent in that area, nothing out of control. I think the driver fell asleep, accelerated, the vehicle began to drift, he woke up startled and jerked the wheel hard enough to induce the rollover. I saw no alcohol containers and when asked the driver said no...

I was impressed that the vehicle was gone by daylight.

Brian

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Kudos to you. Well done with staying calm. I work as a paramedic and I can't tell you how many times I go to a scene and I can't get a report from anyone who is calm. A job very well done on your part.:victory:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Having dealt with field emergecies and tons of hospital codes I can tell you that review & mental "what if's" are the only way to stay sharp.

SOAP's are tough if you don't do them regularly...if nothing else just make sure you can tell a short & sweet story.
Always start with # of injuried and levels of injury...that tells the rest of the folks how busy they are about to be.

Please put on your pants :) And gloves (I always double glove since there will be gunk & my hands get sweaty which make putting on fresh gloves tough), and a headlamp and whatever else I can think of.

I would recommend that everyone put a sharpie marker in their first aid kit if they ever plan to render aid to others, you can mark red areas, write pt info on their body before they passout and more.

Great job and anytime we are hanging out we can mock "what if's" to stay sharp.

OneTime

Adventurer
About a little over a year ago me and wiffy were coming back from Mt biking Black Canyon Trail. Just south of Cave Creek on the 17, I witness a single veh roll over.

I start working on the pt and this guy comes up very calm and asks if I could help. I give him a few intructions and he replies "are you and EMT?" I respond yes. Still very calm he states "Oh good Im a trauma doc at John C Lincoln." (The local truama center) He really just stayed out of the way till I said "tell you what, how about I assist you instead of the other way around." Way cool guy!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
soap_opera.jpg

Or, for a more real answer, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP_note

Rexsname

Explorer
ROTFLMAO! I knew I had opened myself up with that one! I also knew that the right answer would come along with it. Thank you!

REX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle