Motor options for a Gen1 1991 Montero 4 door ?

Styyy

Adventurer
I located a nice 1991 montero with a bad motor. If I picked it up what motors would swap in without sinking toomuch money? Im partial to desiels.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I think there was a Diesel in the mighty max around that time period. So that should swap in with no real issues. Remember to always check local laws concerning a swap from gas to diesel! :)

1morebike

Adventurer
i bought 1990 thinking i would swap in diesel down the road but have changed my mind a bit. my thoughts are that 3.0 is a pretty good motor as it seems to power the truck just fine and the gas milage isn't to bad, there are also parts available all over so if you break down i'm sure you could walk into any auto parts store and get parts and if not you could order them and have them pretty quick. cost wise just getting another 3.0 would be a lot cheaper as you already have the transmission, fuel pump, exhaust, and wiring harness in place. i had the same dream but the idea of having an engine that is not very well supported in the u.s. just doesn't make sense. buy a 3.0 used or have yours rebuilt and drive it for 100,000 plus miles.

1morebike

Adventurer
i really love my 1990 and the motor was replaced by the p.o. he went to autozone and just bought a new engine it was $2500 and now has 80,000 on it. it seems ok, its got some leaking valve gaskets but over all seems ok and when it dies i think ill just get it rebuilt. i just to let you know i paid $1800 and i consider that high so if the one your looking at has a bad motor i would not pay a whole lot for it.

1morebike

Adventurer
i was the same way, i have had mine for 3 months now and love it. it has a lot of problems but that part of the fun. before this i had 80 series land cruiser and like the Montero a lot more the the 80. i'm about to pull the trigger on some new tires this week and think it make a huge difference. good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears