Motorcycle Concealed Carry

worthingtontw

Observer
Did a quick search and didn't see anything recent so opening up the topic.

For those that conceal carry on bikes, what position have you found the most comfortable and how do you secure your firearm if you have to leave it behind? I daily appendix, but can't get comfy on long stretches on my bike with that position. And I have hard panniers but maybe someone has a clever solution that is a bit better....

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I've seen a few cowboys chest mount. Maybe could do that under your jacket? Still concealed and accessible if needed.

I personally wouldn't leave behind if I didn't have a secure and lockable place to store it.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Great thread!

Adventure riding. Compact carry with spare magazine. Custom made, water/dust resistant holster in front, strong side, thigh pocket of riding pants.

Don't leave it with the bike. No good if not with you.

I'd second the chest holster for full size carry. Cheers....be safe.

worthingtontw

Observer
I've seen a few cowboys chest mount. Maybe could do that under your jacket? Still concealed and accessible if needed.

I personally wouldn't leave behind if I didn't have a secure and lockable place to store it.

That's an interesting thought. Would also be handy to use the chest rig for sitting around camp in bear country.

In general I agree. But sometimes its just unavoidable like walking into a government building with metal detectors. Obviously minimize time away from the bike in this situation.

Great thread!

Adventure riding. Compact carry with spare magazine. Custom made, water/dust resistant holster in front, strong side, thigh pocket of riding pants.

Don't leave it with the bike. No good if not with you.

I'd second the chest holster for full size carry. Cheers....be safe.

I really like that idea from an ease of access stand point. Did you form your own Kydex?

Again like I mention above, on a multi week trip far from home, sometimes there is just no other option when you have to walk into a controlled building.

worthingtontw

Observer
You could use a shoulder holster

Sure, I think I might have asked the question poorly.

Comfortable location to carry with out having to do more than lift a garment a few inches like appendix carry. I'm thinking fast access. Honestly, adding the second or two opening a jacket, at that point I may was well just carry in my pack in my mind.

Matt.H

Adventurer
What type of bike? Adventure or other?

Sure, I think I might have asked the question poorly.

Comfortable location to carry with out having to do more than lift a garment a few inches like appendix carry. I'm thinking fast access. Honestly, adding the second or two opening a jacket, at that point I may was well just carry in my pack in my mind.

If you are wearing ATGATT it shouldn't change much. A zipper extension pull will help open your jacket in quick time with practice.
1682399286934.png

My leather coat was custom made with an inside pocket for a small frame revolver. It has, i think, a piece of kydex to stop printing and quick release snaps.

Cruiser, street bike, sport bikes have their own differences. The upright posture vs leaning over is exacerbated by body type, too. ;)

worthingtontw

Observer
What type of bike? Adventure or other?

If you are wearing ATGATT it shouldn't change much. A zipper extension pull will help open your jacket in quick time with practice.
View attachment 775426

My leather coat was custom made with an inside pocket for a small frame revolver. It has, i think, a piece of kydex to stop printing and quick release snaps.

Cruiser, street bike, sport bikes have their own differences. The upright posture vs leaning over is exacerbated by body type, too. ;)

For ADV stuff I ride a F800GS. I got divorced last year and disappeared mid July until early October last year and did about 15k mixed on/off. Would like to do more of that. I also have a Scarbeo 250 for running around town. Looking at a Vitpilen 701 this week...

The toggle extension is so simple an obvious. Love it. Very cool you had some custom leather made. placement wise, where is the pocket in relation to your strong side?

Ain't that the truth. I ATTGAT, but I'm also 32 and starting to date again for the first time since high school. These days generally ride in a Kevlar lined hoodie and jeans with CE2 in both and full height boots around town. If you saw me, you'd think squid, but I am in gear. I go full dentist gear mode when I'm traveling. At the end of the day, we all ride different bikes with different gear, with variations of configuration. Just hoping someone throws out an idea that is new to me.

Matt.H

Adventurer
The toggle extension is so simple an obvious. Love it. Very cool you had some custom leather made. placement wise, where is the pocket in relation to your strong side?
Right where you would put you hand for the national anthem. Considering you need to unzip and then reach back up it is a natural placement. ft stopped you can use the weak hand to unzip. This means more practice. Matt.

worthingtontw

Observer
Right where you would put you hand for the national anthem. Considering you need to unzip and then reach back up it is a natural placement. ft stopped you can use the weak hand to unzip. This means more practice. Matt.

Yeah, but this ties well into @SDDiver5 suggestions of a chest rig. Off the shelf holsters and a simple draw solution. I like it! Thank you for the input @Matt.H!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I really like that idea from an ease of access stand point. Did you form your own Kydex?

Kydex most certainly would work but, due to my current riding gear and style I needed more dust, water and impact protection then a Kydex holster would provide.

I'm lucky enough to design and manufacture technical textile gear for the off-road/OEM/Gov. world so I get to play and produce different designs for myself, some work/some don't.

My current (none marketed) design is simply a sewn holster and mag pouch for a Sig Sauer P238 and mag that closes with velcro keeping dust and moisture out but can quickly be drawn while reacting to the situation (think concealable thigh rig). It also has retention qualities that reduce the likelihood of the weapon falling out due to harsh physical activity, a crash or physical confrontation. (30 years in LE with 10 years in narcotics you see and experience a lot of crappy holsters and situations that result in weapons coming loose.......)

BTW......Congrats! the very best "Big D" therapy is adventure riding....I can highly recommend it! Be safe.

Rain, technical trails, sand, physical activity and crashes.......holster works great!

C130E876-BECF-402B-AD3D-EA23596D6D8D.pngB838A83D-09F3-4030-B72E-6B43AC6551F3.jpeg

worthingtontw

Observer
Kydex most certainly would work but, due to my current riding gear and style I needed more dust, water and impact protection then a Kydex holster would provide.

I'm lucky enough to design and manufacture technical textile gear for the off-road/OEM/Gov. world so I get to play and produce different designs for myself, some work/some don't.

My current (none marketed) design is simply a sewn holster and mag pouch for a Sig Sauer P238 and mag that closes with velcro keeping dust and moisture out but can quickly be drawn while reacting to the situation (think concealable thigh rig). It also has retention qualities that reduce the likelihood of the weapon falling out due to harsh physical activity, a crash or physical confrontation. (30 years in LE with 10 years in narcotics you see and experience a lot of crappy holsters and situations that result in weapons coming loose.......)

BTW......Congrats! the very best "Big D" therapy is adventure riding....I can highly recommend it! Be safe.

Rain, technical trails, sand, physical activity and crashes.......holster works great!

View attachment 775445View attachment 775446

Officially, you have a cooler job than me. Very cool you have the tools to prototype even for one off stuff.

Well the "Big D" wasn't my idea, so all that helmet time certainly helped with making sense of things.

Also I did a major double take with that first photo. That GS in the back of the first photo is very close to mine. Also I see our bikes are both fond of dirt naps!

Attachments

• IMG-1060.jpg
    IMG-1060.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 2D563D6C-C986-40A5-89DA-4FBB4216E4A7.JPG
    2D563D6C-C986-40A5-89DA-4FBB4216E4A7.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-1050.jpg
    IMG-1050.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

worthingtontw

Observer
Ride in constitutional carry state...problem solved:)

Ehhh... Part of being from CA and being pro 2A is you get creative with CCWs. Just saying there are states that issue CCWs while not being a resident. I'm confident that I'm legal in the western non constitutional carry states too. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Officially, you have a cooler job than me. Very cool you have the tools to prototype even for one off stuff.

Well the "Big D" wasn't my idea, so all that helmet time certainly helped with making sense of things.

Also I did a major double take with that first photo. That GS in the back of the first photo is very close to mine. Also I see our bikes are both fond of dirt naps!

As they say, there is a great life after the starter wife.

Yeah, he just got that bike before our last Rim Rocker Run......it didn't look the same after, as it did before! He's a great rider but, some trails just demand paint, plastic and pain.

C36B7CA4-6A5E-41D3-87EB-A6538214C40D.jpeg30308BDF-A097-431F-9294-3D62E7A7DBAE.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior