Motorcycle expedition with a sad ending.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Guys,

For the first time since I post/read on this forum I am faced with an unpleasant dilemna.

While most of the stories on this forum are positive and exciting, this one has a very sad ending.

I am not sure if it's appropriate or not to publish this story but after much thinking I thought I will post it as a reminder that we always need to be extra cautious while riding our motorcycles or driving your vehicles.

I think for all of us who dream about quitting everything and driving around the world, this is important.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

This whole story is very touching.

Rest In Peace Clayton.

(Moderators, feel free the remove this thread if you think it shouldn't be here)

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I would be lying if I said that the thread wasn't a hard read. I couldn't help but think of my many friends and my father and my sister who both ride. Sad.:(

VikingVince

Explorer
I'm glad you posted this story...very tragic...it has profoundly affected me. I can't imagine the story not being appropriate for this forum. The thread is a long read, but worthwhile and moving.
He gave us all a gift by acknowledging not slowing down, not applying the brakes for the donkeys, just attempting to swerve around them...a tragic mistake in judgment and riding.
For those of you who don't read the entire thread...he collided with a donkey in Mexico, poor treatment in the Mexican hospital, paralyzed from the chest down, made a courageous attempt to salvage his attitude and life, but in the end...took his own life.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Yes I believe it's a very special thread. I did cry when I read it.

A few years ago while I was riding in Mexico with my girlfriend, a dog came out of nowhere on the freeway. I first hit it with my side luggage and managed to avoid it, but my girlfriend behind wasn't so lucky, she smashed right into it. Luckily she only suffers a few bruises and we were able to continue the journey, but it could have easily ended in a similar way. So for me his story was really relevant.

It's also very touching to read from her mother writing on the board.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I followed Clayton's journey on AdvRider from the start. Great kid, with the spirit of adventure few have. I hadn't been on the thread for a few months...and am truly saddened to hear about the end to the story.

RIP Clayton

-H-

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
This story is tragic. As a parent I can't imagine anything worse than outliving my children and I don't want them to ride motorcycles just as my parents forbade me. Yet I have always seen the promise of adventure in motorcycling and that is where I'm headed. I'm planning on giving both my parents and my kids a run for their money but stories like this one make me seriously consider abandoning my aspirations to ride.

Cheers, to Clayton,
Graham

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link

Wow, what an incredible read. I skimmed it, then went back and started at the beginning only to break out in a leaky mess as I read of his high hopes and enthusiasm, while I already knew the outcome.. His spirit. His insight. He was a superb writer.

I've lost friends from motorcycling, white water kayaking, sea kayaking, mountainbiking, scuba diving, suicide, heart attacks (ages 38 and 42) and have a friend in a wheel chair from hockey. WHile it is a fact of life that those things can happen, it doesn't make it any easier. Last year was especially hard on our circle of friends.

You're right, his admittance is a gift to us all.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Damn, that's brutal... Makes me want to sell my bike. I've always had my doubts. I got into Hare Scrambles and Enduros, and I'm just not sure it's worth it. I have a trackday car with a full cage, and a truck for offroading which can now include the family. So, I've got all my bases covered. I don't really need the bike, but nothing beats it for the feeling of freedom.

That being said, I know a lot of bikers who'd been riding for decades with no issues.

Blair G

Adventurer
I have been ADVrider since 2001 and his story is one of the saddest. The one thing that struck me is that the reason it was the saddest was the fact he chose to take his life. Not because he ran into a Donkey and had crappy care in the hospital and was paralyzed.. The other side to this story is how is mom has has handled this and is nothing short of amazing.
There is a whole section on "Face Plants" that show how dangerous motorcycle riding can be. Clayton's accident was one that could happen to anybody whether it be a Donkey, dog or car. It just goes to re-enforce safe riding practices and being able to adjust to changing conditions.

Don't sell your bikes or stop riding, learn from it and try not to let it happen to you.
OR you could miss out on a day like this......

278603059_3hnwY-L.jpg

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
In a "roundaboutly similar" way, this is why I put a photo composite of the World Trade Center twin towers / US flag in the rear window of my car. I hope to pass on perhaps just a subliminal idea that life and/or its nice conveniences can be fleeting when you least expect it. Maybe at least one hot-headed person will see it an think "...oh, wow, forgot about that. Maybe I should calm down."

Clayton said he should have acted a bit more slowly, another rider shared a link to his own spectacular near-disaster, I describe my own eye opener in post #79 here http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13084&page=8 Certainly the 2nd guy and I are extremely lucky. Perhaps it could be said Clayton was lucky for a while in that he was paralyzed from the chest down, rather than from the neck down.

The troublesome thing for me is to see so many who think life and all its fun & happy stuff is something owed to them. It isn't. We are fragile, the laws of physics can't be broken. We have intelligence, we can be a bit more careful without being hopelessly fearful. And when fate is beyond our control, we ought be smart enough to know it's not the end of the world when something fairly minor doesn't go right.......

Last edited:

timaus13

Observer
Rest in peace Clayton

Rest in peace Clayton you are still an inspiration to all who read your story.
Our Sincere Condolonces to all Your Family.
Gone but NEVER forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior