motorcycle insurance

hansrober

Adventurer
Ride the Hyperstrada back to back with the Monster when you go back to your dealer. If you like dirt bike feel with street bike power and a good bit of hooligan temptation you might like the Hyper. I am very glad you found a better rate on that insurance. Good luck on the bike shopping. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes the guys have been talking about!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I think that may be the problem, I might need all the bikes everyone has been talking about.

I was actually looking at the hyperstrada. My problem is that I'm in love with the modern interpretation of the vintage cafe lines of the monster, that and it's exhaust note melts my heart. The Termigoni exhaust on the 1200 engine with no DB killers gives me all the feels.

If I could fit the hyperstrada with a 21" front wheel and an 18" rear, I don't think I'd look back. The 'tiny' supermoto tires look so odd on it to me.

Ultimately I think the monster will be in my stable come spring time, the 1100 Evo was on my list when it came out years ago, and as soon as the 1200s came out with the new engine I fell in love.

I think I need the monster and the KTM tbh... Might as well throw a Ural with a side car in there too

calicamper

Expedition Leader
i'd probably ride a bike to work when i could. i have reservations with dealing with rush our traffic, though i don't see it but every now and then. i work for the rail road so I'm on call 24/7 and the morning and evening rushes are far and few between. i can't see myself putting more than 10,000 miles on a bike a year anymore commuting, but it would be nice to remove that much from my 4Runner yearly. i have an 80 mile round trip to work. a bike would pay for itself in fuel savings pretty quickly i think, but its more about fun per gallon for me. Ducati's arnt particularly known for their high fuel efficiency, they're pretty well pigs.

Oddly enough the cost per mile between my commuter scooter and the Subaru wasn't huge not counting vehicle purchase price of course. I ran about 12,000 miles on tires and had to do the brakes on the bike at 40K etc. My savings was primarily on time it shaved about 15minutes off my 6 mile city traffic jam to the highway and shaved about 8 minutes off the highway ride due to one spot that would back up. That was the standard trip. Non standard trip like SF Giants playing and additional traffic it would save me an hour or more. The ride wasn't bad either.

So many great bikes out there today. Coworker rode the same commute I did on a Monster. I rode it a couple of times its a very compact bike great for city work not that much fun at high speed on the highway. He had to add a damper to the fork after having a very scary moment on the way to work actually got tank slap action. After that he kept his speeds down. He suspects the road surface helped contribute to the effect but as expected very spooky experience most people I've met that have experienced it all pretty much will do anything to avoid it.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Funny you say that about the slap tank. The 1200s' have an optional Olhins stabilizer, as well they increased the wheel base by several inches. I wonder if the combination of the two effectively counters the tank slap.

skeeter06

Observer
I've had the same motorcycle since I was 25 and single (now married and 31). I use State Farm and the bike is $35 a month since I bought it in 2007. I ride a Suzuki SV 1000S 2005 model.

Jwestpro

Explorer
What fun thread! I think my moto insurance is Geico right now with Progressive on the autos. Cost is about $600/year on a 2013 BMW GSA I bought new with high limits on everything. I don't remember how much it was to insure the 2007 BMW R1200s or the Duacti 749R but the Ducati may have been a bit more being younger, more expensive, and more superbike ;)

The Ducati insurance only stayed on for 6 months though because I converted it to 100% track use which can just about cure you of bothering to rode public roads at all if you have a few awesome tracks nearby to choose from every month.

I'd like a sport bike again but I definitely would also like the lightest possible trail bike that makes sense for a weekend. Basically I'd want it to be something like a heavy duty mountain bike with a motor. I have raced mtb for many years so having a super nimble but not burning my own calories or lungs would be awesome ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've had the same motorcycle since I was 25 and single (now married and 31). I use State Farm and the bike is $35 a month since I bought it in 2007. I ride a Suzuki SV 1000S 2005 model.

Wow, that's almost the exact bike I went with the intent to buy, a SV650, but by the end of the day I left with the 2005 Ducati ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
I think that may be the problem, I might need all the bikes everyone has been talking about.

I was actually looking at the hyperstrada. My problem is that I'm in love with the modern interpretation of the vintage cafe lines of the monster, that and it's exhaust note melts my heart. The Termigoni exhaust on the 1200 engine with no DB killers gives me all the feels.

If I could fit the hyperstrada with a 21" front wheel and an 18" rear, I don't think I'd look back. The 'tiny' supermoto tires look so odd on it to me.

Here are a few things to consider:

I recently saw photos of either an Ducati 848, or an 1199 with knobbies on it out on a damp PNW forest trail. Neat idea, one ************ bike, 2 sets of wheels....

You speak of the exhaust note... unless the Termi you heard is a true FULL system, it's still lacking...even though they are nice. A full race exhaust is the dealio for sound but also is functional. The slip on stuff is really just for looks and some sound. Kind of like a "cat back" on a car.

I put a full titanium Leo Vince system on the 749r. Also had it done up in the black ceramic coating. Simple, not flashy, but blow your mind sound. It was also like 13 lbs lighter and most of that was weight removed from the height of the rear cowl so it made a big difference in handling.

Lastly, I don't know your exact budget limit, but....you should look at a couple sweet used bikes for the same budget you'd spend on a single new.

Rode this for many years as sole motorized transportation. Sold to a friend.
24433814661.jpg

Bought the Ducati. A school at the track is good for so many reasons plus it's just amazingly fun ;)
CMP South Carolina with TPM
cmp.turn14.b.jpg

VIR Southern VA top of the hill full course
vir.hill.2.jpg

Next, almost bought this...
BMW 1.jpg

Instead bought this 2007 R1200s ... now they're roughly $7000-$9000 fun bike, can put on 2 factory travel hard cases too!
r1200s-pit.s.jpg

Next took a day long test ride....in some weather
IMG_0701.jpg

Couldn't shake that bug so decided to get a last oil head GSA
IMG_2912.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78