Motorcycle lift and outdoor kitchen for Expedition Camper built by Overland Explorer

S2DM

Adventurer
We had this unit built for our camper by Overland Explorer. In the interest of full disclosure, it has some problems and will require a little reworking, hence the price. The following is a link to a description of the issues we had with it.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...e-with-overland-explorer.199743/#post-2557018

I spent some time on redesigning the lift system after we removed it, so could give you some pointers on how to get it working properly. I think for the right person with the right rig, it could be a nice addition and shouldn't require too much work to get working propery.

It has a full length kitchen pullout inside the box, designed to fit a dickinson stove (I have a beater one you can have), a fridge, and some drawers. The motorcycle mounts are designed to fit a small dirt bike (aka tw200).

We spent about 15k Canadian on this and it snapped the winch line on its second use, but that was really an issue with the way they set up the winch and the type of winch used. I'd either do it with a strap winch from a higher lifting point, or better yet, with two camper jacks.

Here is a video of it in action, prior to installing the kitchen pullout box. The depth is ~31" and its about 7'2" wide.

Asking $1000 which is less than the metal would be alone. I just need this out of my yard as its been high priced yard art for 1.5 years and my Mrs. is over it :)

IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_6673.jpg
IMG_6674.jpg
IMG_6675.jpg
IMG_6676.jpg

We had this unit built for our camper by Overland Explorer. In the interest of full disclosure, it has some problems and will require a little reworking, hence the price. The following is a link to a description of the issues we had with it.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...e-with-overland-explorer.199743/#post-2557018

I spent some time on redesigning the lift system after we removed it, so could give you some pointers on how to get it working properly. I think for the right person with the right rig, it could be a nice addition and shouldn't require too much work to get working propery.

It has a full length kitchen pullout inside the box, designed to fit a dickinson stove (I have a beater one you can have), a fridge, and some drawers. The motorcycle mounts are designed to fit a small dirt bike (aka tw200).

We spent about 15k Canadian on this and it snapped the winch line on its second use, but that was really an issue with the way they set up the winch and the type of winch used. I'd either do it with a strap winch from a higher lifting point, or better yet, with two camper jacks.

Here is a video of it in action, prior to installing the kitchen pullout box. The depth is ~31" and its about 7'2" wide.

Asking $1000 which is less than the metal would be alone. I just need this out of my yard as its been high priced yard art for 1.5 years and my Mrs. is over it :)

View attachment 485851View attachment 485852View attachment 485853View attachment 485854View attachment 485855
Can you say what you didn't like about it? I understand that it didn't quite meet your expectations or maybe you decided not to tote a Moto but is there something inherently flawed or undesirable/unworkable about the design? Thanks
Bryan

S2DM

Adventurer
Can you say what you didn't like about it? I understand that it didn't quite meet your expectations or maybe you decided not to tote a Moto but is there something inherently flawed or undesirable/unworkable about the design? Thanks
Bryan

I think its more than salvageable for the right guy.

Mechanically, the lift mechanism needs to be rethought/reworked. The primary issue on my camper was because it was a lifting roof design, the winch mechanism had to sit somewhat low. So, there wasn't enough room to pick it from each corner and then have that come to a common winch line higher up. So it would bind on the way up with uneven loads and thats what snapped the winch line.

For a fixed roof camper, you could solve it a couple ways. Easiest would be to use a dual pulley, dual line set up so it has to go up straight. Other easy way to do it would be a linear actuator on each side. When I was planning on fixing this, I extensive Solidworks drawings for a mechanism to lift it using two reico camper jacks, and I'd be happy to share those plans. One of the big problems with any winch based system is no intrinsic limit switch and one wasn't incorporated into this design, so, I personally like the dual camper jacks. But it would be pretty easy to add a upper excursion limit switch as well.

Aesthetically, It just wasnt at all what I'd spec'd and 10" wider than I'd called for. Might not be an issue for others.

I think its more than salvageable for the right guy.

Mechanically, the lift mechanism needs to be rethought/reworked. The primary issue on my camper was because it was a lifting roof design, the winch mechanism had to sit somewhat low. So, there wasn't enough room to pick it from each corner and then have that come to a common winch line higher up. So it would bind on the way up with uneven loads and thats what snapped the winch line.

For a fixed roof camper, you could solve it a couple ways. Easiest would be to use a dual pulley, dual line set up so it has to go up straight. Other easy way to do it would be a linear actuator on each side. When I was planning on fixing this, I extensive Solidworks drawings for a mechanism to lift it using two reico camper jacks, and I'd be happy to share those plans. One of the big problems with any winch based system is no intrinsic limit switch and one wasn't incorporated into this design, so, I personally like the dual camper jacks. But it would be pretty easy to add a upper excursion limit switch as well.

Aesthetically, It just wasnt at all what I'd spec'd and 10" wider than I'd called for. Might not be an issue for others.

I found your other thread and cant take the time to read through while I'm still at work. I'll get through it later tonight. Thanks for the quick response.

Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998