Motorcycle pannier on a rear door?

Eddie.

So I was giving some thought to mounting a GIVI plate and being able to click on and off a 50 liter case to one of the back doors.

Doesn't seem as idiotic as some of my other ideas!

What say you?

Or better yet, just bolt one of my spare Touratech cases to the back of the truck!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The amount of gear you could pack into a pannier would fit into a medium sized gym bag.
So wouldn't it make more sense to just fill the gym bag and chuck it into the back of your vehicle? :confused:
EDITED TO ADD: Only way I could see something like that is if you had something that you wanted/needed to stay on the outside of your vehicle for some reason. Tire chains come to mind, or maybe a recovery strap?

wildorange

Observer
Alternative & creative thinking. Sometimes the idiotic can be equally as functional to the mainstream gear out there.

I like it.

I was even considering using a large ammo tin via a modified bracket (I wouldn't mind comparing the Weight factor versus yours)

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
ammo cans would be much heavier then the pannier unloaded at least as they are made from steel and many panniers are from composites or aluminimumunum

Eddie.

The amount of gear you could pack into a pannier would fit into a medium sized gym bag.
So wouldn't it make more sense to just fill the gym bag and chuck it into the back of your vehicle? :confused:
EDITED TO ADD: Only way I could see something like that is if you had something that you wanted/needed to stay on the outside of your vehicle for some reason. Tire chains come to mind, or maybe a recovery strap?

The gym bag being tossed in the vehicle would depend on the vehicle. This would be on a ford transit connect in which space is already at a premium. The other door would have a rotopax or two. Inside would be a track bike on the right and a bench\bed on the left. And a super thin cabinet on the right with drop down shelves for a kichenette \ work area.

Eddie.

Alternative & creative thinking. Sometimes the idiotic can be equally as functional to the mainstream gear out there.

I like it.

I was even considering using a large ammo tin via a modified bracket (I wouldn't mind comparing the Weight factor versus yours)

An ammo can would be very very heavy and would require a bracket. A light pannier that would not be loaded with anything heavy could be bolted directly to most doors depending on the thickness of the sheetmetal. I would put a large and thick aluminum panel on the other side to spread the load.

There are companies that make pelican type cases that are much thinner and lighter than the pelican which would be great for this as well. Heck with the lid dropping down to become a work surface you can make a little externally accessible kitchen, or better yet, bar setup.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If it was me I'd just carry more RotoPax cans on the other door. Spare fuel is one of those things that I'd rather have on the outside of the vehicle than on the inside.
For inexpensive pelican-type cases, check MCM Electronics. I had some MCM cases on my Triumph Scrambler, they worked great.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-24155

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
So I was giving some thought to mounting a GIVI plate and being able to click on and off a 50 liter case to one of the back doors.

Doesn't seem as idiotic as some of my other ideas!

What say you?

Or better yet, just bolt one of my spare Touratech cases to the back of the truck!

Sounds like a good idea to me if you have a spare Touratech pannier that is currently between bikes. It would be like a small Aluminess Box seen on the back of a lot of nicely fitted out vans, much lighter than an ammo can. I like this idea. Please post a photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78