Motorcycle Trailer?

Luthman

OK, regardless of what she said, I have finally figured out that my wife is not getting her own adventure motorcycle. Which means that we take the truck on our trips. The problem is that I still want to ride my KLR 650 while on the road. So, that means a trailer. My question to the group, if you where going to design a trailer specifically to take motorcycles along with you on trips, what features would you want to see? The idea is to keep it light and flexible the primary purpose is to tow the bike, off road and at times maybe some extra storage if needed (but not much).

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Have you considered a hitch mounted carrier? I've modified one for my uses on the back of my Tacoma, I'm really pleased with it. However my wife did end up with a bike and we are looking into a trailer.

Luthman

yeah I did but decided against it. the KLR is 400+lbs and I am concerned about the added stress to the frame in an off road environment. plus my wildernest camper does not lend it's self to that configuration very well, I'd have to pull the bike off every time I wanted in the back. as well, I'd like the option to possibly take more than one bike along..

scarysharkface

Explorer
My wife pities her. She feels sorry that your wife will never know that fun and adventure...

My wife and I both ride, and are in a similar situation with wanting something to haul a KLR650 and a Wee-Strom that will also be somewhat adventure-friendly. Also looking into possibly building an adventure-specific trailer, but having something that will make dragging the bikes along easier certainly has great appeal for both of us... I'll be watching this to see what you arrive at..

John

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok, offroad motorbike trailer... I'm envisioning a frame that mostly consists of a channel for the bike tires to sit in, with an A-arm suspension out the sides with coil spring suspension. If you want to carry two bikes, I think you're looking at a simple 4x8 utility trailer with an offroad suspension.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
yeah I did but decided against it. the KLR is 400+lbs and I am concerned about the added stress to the frame in an off road environment. plus my wildernest camper does not lend it's self to that configuration very well, I'd have to pull the bike off every time I wanted in the back. as well, I'd like the option to possibly take more than one bike along..

Good call, my bike is ~275lbs wet and it is a bit of a chore getting it up on the ramps as well as the aspect of loading/unloading.

Ok, offroad motorbike trailer... I'm envisioning a frame that mostly consists of a channel for the bike tires to sit in, with an A-arm suspension out the sides with coil spring suspension. If you want to carry two bikes, I think you're looking at a simple 4x8 utility trailer with an offroad suspension.

That is essentially what I was thinking, keep it simple, fuel can mounts on the front everything else can stay in the truck (RTT, fridge, tools, etc.)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Some time back I gave a lot of thought to this idea. Ultimately I decided that a bumper carrier worked better for me. When I got a serious GF we started taking the TrailBlazer trailer on trips, so neither works at the moment.

Anyway, I got as far as a concept in SolidWorks. At the time I was planning on using some rubber torsions (because I have a loose set), but were I to build it now I might reconsider that - I don't know.
The design employs a bolt-on tongue that allows it to be flipped high or low depending on the height of the tow rig's trailer hitch. It also uses a 2" socket in the tongue for what ever flavor of hitch mechanism might be desired.
The goal of the bi-folding gate is that it function as a ramp w/o any other structure being needed, and w/o it sticking up rather tall at the rear of the trailer. I wanted to be able to see past it and as the plan also called for the trailer to be useful in a utility trailer manner no expanded or perforated sheet metal could be used. The plan called for a solid metal floor and sides, and that they be put in place in such a way that they added structure to the whole.
The gate's hinges are 1" OD heavy wall steel tube sections with a solid bar pin. Pin retention is done with a washer welded onto one end and secured by a cotter pin in the other.

ultrailerconcept.jpg

After seeing what my grandfather did (in 1951) with GI sideboards I would likely look into doing the frame as a monocoque if I were to revisit this trailer concept, but since I now own this trailer there isn't much point. The sides and front of this trailer ARE it's frame. The 4' x 8' plywood floor sits on several light weight cross members and a perimeter lip, but is otherwise free to be removed. The astute may recognize the Ford Model A torque tube used for the tongue.
AFB1951-001.jpg

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That's actually fairly similar to my utility trailer... sort of. The sides and front wall are made from... 16 or 18 gauge steel with a rolled upper lip, and a 1" dia tube tie-down rail welded on top all the way around. The sides and front wall I believe are structural, so it's like a monocoque. The floor is solid wood made for 2x6 boards laid front to back and fastened to the floor cross supports, so they are replacable. Rear gate is bi-fold with expanded metal decking. I've never felt held back by the expanded metal door in terms of what I wanted to do with it. I've hauled dirt and gravel no problem. You can't fill it right up anyway because of weight, you drop a yard in the middle and it slumps down to the hinge line but doesn't pile up the door or fall out.

It's been a great trailer, real solid considering it was only about 50% more than the typical junk trailers they sell at Home Depot, etc.

newimage

Wood Burner
I built a custom RZR Trailer for a Guy in Coloardo High Clearance for off road and it uses a lock and roll coupler. He was going on a trip from Colrado to Alaska so he needed it to be stout.
I see where you are needing a off road type trailer most commercial trailers will just drag over everything or just get stuck.
IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
i ended up with a basic trailer, fits my wife and my bikes, and carriers stuff and a big cooler on the tongue, does have to be loaded with a ramp but it works. just went camping for a long weekend and had it packed full of chairs duffwlbags and stuff too.

really old pic but its all i have now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior