Motovan===2000 Ford E350 ex-wheelchair van converted to moto hauler

Petrolburner

Explorer
I yanked the rear 4 seat belts out since I didn't have a seats to go back there and I had no intention of putting seats back there. It baffles me that Ford didn't put any insulation or sound deadening material behind the plastic interior. Also, the plastic interior panels kind of suck. I'm not keen on making new ones though. I used the bolt holes from the seat belts and some chain links to make tie downs.

20150206_200950.jpg

20150206_200941.jpg

So one of the big advantages to this van was that it had a rubber floor and some e-track already installed. Turns out the rubber floor doesn't like gasoline. My trials bike dripped some fuel and now my floor has a big pimple. :(

20150206_200930.jpg

Petrolburner

Explorer
Tires are working well in the slick stuff.

20150207_120039.jpg

20150207_120012.jpg

Regarding the flooring, I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I don't want to just bedliner the metal floor because of the loss of noise and thermal insulation. I don't have a lot of free time to tear it all out and start over either. I have a to do list a page and a half long and many projects have been waiting a long time. Currently I'm using a small chunk of plywood with two motorcycle chocks mounted to it. This piece of plywood is not mounted to the floor so it can be moved, or removed easily. I have a piece of grippy foam underneath it and it doesn't slide around at all with a bike tied down on it. I'm thinking I'll do the same thing but with a bigger sheet of plywood that would catch the fuel drips. I'm also thinking I would cut a small hole in the plywood to line up with the front section of E-track in the floor. That way I could have a tie down going from a handlebar to the floor and keeping the plywood from sliding forward or backward in an emergency stop or an accident. On the long term list is installing a cargo net to separate my skull from the heavy projectiles in the back in case of a bad accident. I would do something similar to the cargo airplanes I used to fly. I don't want a metal barrier that is heavy, noisy, and cumbersome to remove. A cargo net with cinch straps and a dozen anchor points around the perimeter would be good.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Van candy

20150209_180605.jpg

20150209_193944.jpg

20150209_194924.jpg

20150209_195549.jpg

Didn't slide in far enough with the handles on so I removed them and now it fits pretty well.

20150209_201146.jpg

Did I mention I hate getting stuck? I had the winch laying around from an old log skidder project vehicle anyway. Install was super simple too, I only had to enlarge one hole on each frame rail. I didn't have to touch the bumper. This was a lot cheaper route to go than a custom front bumper or aftermarket winch bumper. Additionally, those tube framed pre runner style bumpers that look so cool have more aerodynamic drag so fuel mileage drops.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Van developed a stutter on the drive home. It was the worst at low rpm in high gear. Got a #5 misfire code. I figured it was a bad coil since these modular motors have a reputation for eating coils. Threw the new one in and went for a drive, no change. Ok lets change the spark plug. No change. Ok let's change all the plugs. No change. Fuel filter is cheap, let's try that. Bingo! Yay that was a fun knuckle buster changing all the plugs. Needed to be done though, they were in pretty rough shape.

20150122_185827.jpg

20150124_113945.jpg

20150125_150110.jpg

20150124_153112.jpg

Just did a highway trip through some really gnarly winds and got 15.2 MPG. Not bad, but I was hoping for better.
Best I've got with my high top is the upper 14's. Typically in the 13's.

I'm working my way through your build thread on the other forum. Nice build. (I enjoyed your Baja trip report). Lots of great ideas for our family van.

Wow that lift is heavy! Almost 400 pounds I'd say. I had to disassemble it into chunks just so I could move it. Nobody buys these things once they're out of the van, especially not one like mine. This was a pretty invasive install. Although if I were to have one, I'd want one like this that is completely outside of the passenger compartment when stored, no wasted space. Anyway, now I've got some good thick sheets of aluminum and a bunch of steel to sell for scrap.

ut50UcXrax0aIAd0OB9iVDpadlQ0L6R0r-ocjHnyNLU=w374-h280-p-no

I needed to get a hitch on this thing ASAP so I can haul my Aliner. Picked up a hitch from a junkyard for $50, mounted it with some grade 8 hardware and wasn't real happy with how far it hung down. It was made to clear the regular bumper. Well my bumper had a big notch cut out. Now I need a new rear bumper so it doesn't look so goofy, something with a step would be nice too. Or wait, what if I flip the receiver hitch upside down...

BAM!!

20150202_202057.jpg

20150202_202107.jpg

20150202_202116.jpg

A perfect fit! What are the chances of that? This is a big deal because with the extended length van, the departure angle sucks. With a low hanging hitch it sucks even more! I'm happy it's tucked way up inside the frame rails. Bonus, I don't feel like I have to spend additional $$$ on a new rear bumper.

I know this is an old post, but I Like the receiver flip on your van - how is it holding up as you've towed your Aliner?

Jsweezy

Explorer
That flipping of the hitch is a great idea. I wonder if it affects towing or how its made at all. I wouldn't think so but I am also not an engineer ha ha.

If I wasn't about to throw a 55gallon tank in that spot I would totally do it.

Nice Van!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears