Mountain Bikes

mpwalker

how to store a couple of mountain bikes. would love to have them out of sight as they are expensive. has anyone explored building a box of sorts, to sit on the tongue perhaps.....big enough for 2 bikes? I envision a box with a slide out tray. bikes would have their front wheel removed to make they shorter/smaller.
other ideas?

Markal

Not a bad idea. Mine ride on the roof of my vehicle, fork mount, wheels inside (but I’d like a solution to put the wheels on the roof separately).

However, I’ve seen at least one camper van with a slide-out solution under the bed. The slide out came out the back barn door and allowed up to four bikes, mounted with the front wheels off, and wheels mounted separately.

So you might find some ideas from camper vans.

montechie

how to store a couple of mountain bikes. would love to have them out of sight as they are expensive. has anyone explored building a box of sorts, to sit on the tongue perhaps.....big enough for 2 bikes? I envision a box with a slide out tray. bikes would have their front wheel removed to make they shorter/smaller.
other ideas?
If you placed the fork mounts on the slide out so the bikes were facing alternate of each other, it would keep the fit narrower. I'm keeping mine in my truck bed/pop-up topper that way and can fit them in a smaller area. There's also some burly bike covers meant for travel that could help, but would only be a small deterrent, unless some are cut resistant. I also wonder if any of the shipping/travel cases would be worth looking at to external mount....

I've been contemplating the same challenge. I have the space in my truck bed, but not while using the camper so it's more convenient to have them outside. Between sticky fingers and hours of mud/dust/mag chloride my typical hitch rack isn't ideal. A $15 cable for a $$$ Pivot isn't great.

skyhogg

Idea for a camper with a front receiver. Lockable but not out of sight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior